Twelve Bens over Ballynahinch

Posted by Dave Pluimer on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
A morning view of the Twelve Bens in Connemara overlooking Ballynahinch Lake.

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech ND+GND - f/13, 15s, ISO 200

Larger Version

Posted by:
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor

by Chris Kayler on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:43 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
That soft water with the equally soft puffy clouds reflected is really something special. The light also has a really nice soft but defined feeling. I love the way you used the vibrant plant as a commanding foreground. My one suggestion relates to post-processing ... it seems that the shadows are a touch bright and also quite heavy with cyan, but only on the left side. The pines near the edge of the frame on the left, as well as the furthest peak to the left are the only real culprits that I can see. Selectively shift their color balance away from green/cyan and I think this image will be perfect.

by Dave Pluimer on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:55 am
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
Chris Kayler wrote:That soft water with the equally soft puffy clouds reflected is really something special. The light also has a really nice soft but defined feeling. I love the way you used the vibrant plant as a commanding foreground. My one suggestion relates to post-processing ... it seems that the shadows are a touch bright and also quite heavy with cyan, but only on the left side. The pines near the edge of the frame on the left, as well as the furthest peak to the left are the only real culprits that I can see. Selectively shift their color balance away from green/cyan and I think this image will be perfect.

Thanks for the kind words and constructive critique. I think that was a great suggestion. Here it is with the adjustment:

Larger Version

by Chris Kayler on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Dave Pluimer wrote:
Chris Kayler wrote:That soft water with the equally soft puffy clouds reflected is really something special. The light also has a really nice soft but defined feeling. I love the way you used the vibrant plant as a commanding foreground. My one suggestion relates to post-processing ... it seems that the shadows are a touch bright and also quite heavy with cyan, but only on the left side. The pines near the edge of the frame on the left, as well as the furthest peak to the left are the only real culprits that I can see. Selectively shift their color balance away from green/cyan and I think this image will be perfect.

Thanks for the kind words and constructive critique. I think that was a great suggestion. Here it is with the adjustment:

Larger Version
Much better! Looks great  :)

by jerryb on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:05 am
jerryb
Forum Contributor
The color corrections really improves the left. I too like the spotlights on the vegetation.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
An absolutely gorgeous shot. The colors are so nice and rich without being overdone.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:30 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
The foreground elements are a bit too centered. Otherwise it's a beautiful scene, well rendered.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by John Labrenz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:40 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Love it!...and actually prefer the original posted version.

8 posts |