Lake Superior

Posted by Scott Kacos on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
This spot is in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula west of Munising.  The clouds never broke but the water kicked up quickly which can easily happen on Lake Superior.

Canon 5D Mark III, 24-70II, f/8, 1/5, ISO 200
Scott
NSN 0321

Posted by:
Scott Kacos
Lifetime Member
Member #:00321

by Jens Peermann on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Great action; on the water as well as in the sky.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Christoph Fischer on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 pm
Christoph Fischer
Forum Contributor
Really well composed and excellent water motion, Scott. However, for my tastes, this image has a somewhat strong HDR feel to it, probably because of the lack of contrast, especially in the sky. Did you use HDR blending?
UPCOMING PHOTOGRAPHY  WORKSHOPS.

Christoph Fischer, Montreal, Quebec

by Scott Kacos on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm
Scott Kacos
Lifetime Member
Member #:00321
Christoph Fischer wrote:Really well composed and excellent water motion, Scott. However, for my tastes, this image has a somewhat strong HDR feel to it, probably because of the lack of contrast, especially in the sky. Did you use HDR blending?
Thanks so much for your comments Christoph!  No HDR...I used NIK's tonal contrast to add contrast separately to highlights, midtones and shadows and thought I already might have overdone it.  Then I brightened the whole image.  I do see what you are saying and agree.  Maybe I should have just applied some type of global contrast and left well enough alone..it is easy for me to get a little heavy handed and need to know when less is more :) .  Thanks again for your comments that will help me in the future too!
Scott
NSN 0321

by jerryb on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 am
jerryb
Forum Contributor
I really like the effect of the tonal contrast on the water giving it a painterly look.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by John Labrenz on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:42 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Absolutely love that water!!!!
The first thing I noticed though is exactly what Christoph Fisher said.....this has an HDR like quality to it.
Not saying that's bad...but it is noticeable.

by Mark Hodgson on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 am
Mark Hodgson
Forum Contributor
Very dramatic effect from your post-processing but a little heavy-handed for me as well. In addition to the HDR look, it also seems a little over-sharpened for the subject matter. At the same time, it seems like this is a style that many people find attractive today.

7 posts |