« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by DChan on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:33 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Incredibly rare male mustached kingfisher photographed for first time by scientist - who promptly kills it

The guy who killed the bird: Chris Filardi

And he said:
"With this first modern voucher of the kingfisher, the only adult male, we now have a comprehensive set of material for molecular, morphological, toxicological, and plumage studies that are unavailable from blood samples, individual feathers, or photographs.

Could they not collect all those data with a live bird??
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
This is incredible, I hope his specimen will be seized by the USF&WS and he prosecuted (I know nothing will be done but the shame should be enough).
I sent him an Email stating my displeasure, thanks for the link.  Mike

edit:  there is a long article in the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... d=pm_pop_b
Topic Locked  

by stevenmajor on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
If I see Chris Filardi I will not photograph him.
Topic Locked  

by Paul Fusco on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:29 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
One of the reasons stated is to use this specimen to compare the effects of marine pollutants:
"Detection and understanding of the impacts of marine pollutants, eggshell thinning from DDT, and anthropogenic body size shifts in widespread species..."
Wouldn't this require the killing of more of the kingfishers in order to get a suitable "sample size?"
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:24 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Paul Fusco wrote:One of the reasons stated is to use this specimen to compare the effects of marine pollutants:
"Detection and understanding of the impacts of marine pollutants, eggshell thinning from DDT, and anthropogenic body size shifts in widespread species..."
Wouldn't this require the killing of more of the kingfishers in order to get a suitable "sample size?"
Maybe he belongs to Kingfisher Unlimited and will auction the skin so he can go back for a larger sample.   :D
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
Maybe he belongs to Kingfisher Unlimited and will auction the skin so he can go back for a larger sample.   :D

How about "detection and understanding of the impacts of a BULLET"?  Quick, check his collection to see if he's also got a stuffed Ivory-billed.  He's not the guy to send out to look for one either (I know, they are most likely extinct).  

"Dr. Filardi said that that locals living in the area view the Mustached Kingfisher, known to them as Mbarikuku, as common."  So, he's been looking for this bird for twenty years?  And it is considered "common"?  Maybe he should have stayed on that island longer to search for it and using the locals who said it was common to show him general areas of the island to which they are being seen?  If he has, then it goes to show how common it really is.  Since when does a "scientist" take the hearsay or word of "locals" with no scientific evidence to back it up?

Another write-up in the Washington Post.  I see Mike had linked to above already (just now).  Good read and gives a history about why people go out "collecting" specimens.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/12/a-scientist-found-a-bird-that-hadnt-been-seen-in-half-a-century-then-killed-it-heres-why/?tid=pm_pop_b

“This story has been updated to clarify that the bird was euthanized and the specimen collected,” Audubon wrote.  The choice of words :-)  Cecil the lion was euthanized and specimen was collected. 

PS.  Hard to tell if this part of the story is accurate.  Apparently the kingbird was caught in a mist net and then killed. Not sure why they had to do it this way.  Something doesn't sound right here.  If the bird is alive, can they not bring it back in a cage?  They can record calls, observe behaviour, etc.  If for some reason it dies in captivity, they still have the specimen anyway.  Unless it is messier (regulations, etc.) to export a live bird versus a dead bird?  One of those kill first and ask forgiveness later rather than ask for permission to capture and export the bird and be denied kind of things?  Otherwise I don't see why the bird had to be shot IF it really was already captured in a mist net.
Topic Locked  

by Terence P. Brashear on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:44 am
Terence P. Brashear
Forum Contributor
Member #:00600
Interesting comments on this. I have read about this from several sources and all of them mentioned one very important fact. As a result of this survey the government of the Solomon Islands is setting aside this area to protect the remaining birds and habitat. International mining and logging companies are very active in the area and are decimating it.
Terence P. Brashear
San Diego, CA
http://www.naturepixels.com
NSN #600
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
A lot of negative feedback on the Audubon site. But I still do not know why the bird could not be brought back to the USA alive. There are some things we don't know about obviously.

https://www.audubon.org/news/moustached ... first-time
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Remember King Kong and all the trouble it caused by bringing him back alive...seriously quarantine for exotic diseases would probably negate any hope of realistically allowing him into the country.
Topic Locked  

by Mike Danzenbaker on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:27 am
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
Paul Fusco wrote:One of the reasons stated is to use this specimen to compare the effects of marine pollutants:
I would think this would require selection of a more common and widespread species in the first place. 

I can't help but wonder if this specimen will actually undergo the analyses they're claiming, or if it will simply end up lying neglected and wasted in a dusty museum specimen tray. 
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:22 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Given this guy has been after the bird for 20 years and no other specimens of a male bird other than this one, they likely will do some DNA analysis, toxicology tests for, and stomach content examination (I don't know how a kingfisher's digestive system works so not sure what they can find out) etc.  Mind you, if they were feeding the bird while it was captive that obviously will affect their findings.  Not sure how long the bird was kept alive before they "euthanized" it.  

Given the findings they may decide to go and capture another one in another area but likely will keep that quiet given it will no longer be "breaking news" anymore and also the controversy associated with the capture and killing, er "euthanization" of the recent bird.  Just some speculating on my part here.
Topic Locked  

11 posts |