« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 18, 2015 7:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A large clearcut, followed by application of RoundUp and Garlon, is planned for the Bay area starting in August. Very little publicity has been made of it.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/18/clearcut ... ion-trees/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by pm4236 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm
pm4236
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:A large clearcut, followed by application of RoundUp and Garlon, is planned for the Bay area starting in August. Very little publicity has been made of it.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/18/clearcut ... ion-trees/

Joe
This process has been going on for awhile--signs posted, various meetings held, trees being cut.  The Berkeley/Oakland hills used to have a lot more beautiful Eucalyptus trees but, sadly, after the great fire the homeowners started lobbying to have them cut back dramatically to reduce the fire hazard.  Pretty sad. It's ironic that "environmental" reasons have been used to justify this (and used by all the good liberals in the Oakland/Berkeley hills worried about home prices) -- i.e. that Eucalyptus trees are not native to the area.  Neither are we. Sparrows are not "native" to the US (I believe they came over from Europe 150 years ago and spread rapidly.)  Should we be looking to reduce their numbers because they're "squeezing out" the "native" birds?  Fortunately, AFAIK this sort of foolishness has not touched the huge eucalyptus groves over in the city of San Francisco.  You could really do some clear cutting there in the name of environmentalism. :)

Paul Bremner
SF Bay Area
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:40 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
1.  Just posted an e-mail on this to the Center for Biological Diversity.  But I should say that they are likely already aware of it. And because of what Paul Bremmer has posted above…..they might not be able to block it with a law suit.  But let us hope…..no, believe :)

Paul wrote   "…..i.e. that Eucalyptus trees are not native to the area.  Neither are we "

2.  It is a good point you make Paul…. and one that I often think about.  

Here's the reasons for their problem:

EXOTIC SPECIES (of which we are one....the worst one!)….you mentioned the Eucalyptus. The nature-disconnected masses fail to mention; i.e. overwhelmingly, we humans are the most invasive species.  We invented the term to point the finger at these problematic species.  Yet, IN OUR ARROGANCE and vanity, we fail to declare that overwhelmingly, we are the principle vector for the spread of all the invasive species globally……including US; we are also an invasive species….and globally, we are the most destructive  invasive species of all the invasive species.   It is the utter truth!

WE ARE THE PROBLEM!  WE ARE THE ONLY PROBLEM.  On every front, in every biome, Nature works well without us. Nature eventually solves all of her problems….all of them….if we leave her alone!  Nature is "set up" that way.  We have come to believe that all of nature evolved….from…nothing.  I do believe in evolution.  But I believe that the ingredients for the evolution….the stage that was set….was set by a Creator, God (that 3 letter word Americans are afraid of using any more).  In short, I believe God Created the Universe.  And no other scientist, regardless of discipline, can disprove this. And I am one who is very thankful for that Creation. Please, let us not make this into a debate.  If you believe in Evolution exclusively, we both have something in common...Evolution. :) 

And, as most of you, I deeply love nature.

THE DESECRATION OF NATURE; IT WAS INEVITABLE ONCE THEY STARTED BUILDING IN THOSE HILLS.

3. For decades, the outcome of these California fires has been inevitable.  In the mid-80's I was the controlled burn leader in the Everglades (the Water Conservation Areas, between Tamiami Trail to the south and the Broward county line to the north, Lauderdale to the east and the Big Cypress to the west….a total of 750,000 acres of sawgrass!).  Later, I wrote the modern controlled burning management plan for 180,000 acres of pine/hardwoods in a federal installation in the Georgia Piedmont region.  I am blessed to have been educated/trained in the characteristics of natural fire by some of America's top fire researchers, most notably Mr. Dale Wade, Fire Researcher for USDA's Division of Forestry's Fire Research Lab.  BTW, would love to connect with a few of those folks right now on this thread.  They are out there and they would contribute in probably a much clearer way than I can here.  They live this stuff.  My specialty was and still is habitat.  No, I did not say expert.  I said specialty.  I learn something new every day from others, including folks on this forum, and from nature.

THE ROLE OF RELATIVE HUMIDITY

When RH gets down to the mid 20's…..ignition is nearly certain and fire cannot be controlled with any resources at all.   Let me say it again and again….when RH gets down to about 24….it is IMPOSSIBLE to control fire with any resources that man has.

Very LOW Relative Humidity is the norm of nature, not the exception,  in much of Western America:  Many Californians build on fire-prone landscapes.  Why are they fire-prone:

a.  The area is brushy.  Why is it brushy?  It is brushy because plant succession cannot carry on long enough to allow the establishment of large woody species.  One of the most effective tools that habitat managers use to control plant succession is FIRE.  Fire sets back plant succession.  And so once this cycle starts…it is probably self-pertuating. 

b.  Fire goes uphill as a head fire because under normal conditions, wind goes up hill.  And because of VERY LOW relative humidity. 

When RH gets down to the mid-20's, once ignition occurs…no fire department, anywhere on the planet is capable of extinguishing the fires. Literally, it is impossible to stop the fire.  

POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT
But it does make a good national TV news with all those fire engines and those planes dropping fire retardants.  And it sure does keep the budget fattened up for years to follow.  They are probably doing this horrible desecration of nature now because the worst fire season is typically the Autumn, when RH goes even lower.  So they are going to now destroy (August) what vegetation (HABITAT!!!) is left prior to the Fall fire season.  I do not live there, so I do stand corrected on some of this.   

Again….when RH gets that low, and you do have ignition….the only thing you can do is to start moving your belongings and watch the horror unfold.  The fire departments know this.  The fire experts know this.  They just do not talk about it. 

They have known since the very beginning that they should not build on those hills.  But for whatever reasons (of course it is MONEY!!!!)…..THEY CHOSE TO IGNORE IT.  Now, because of the eucalyptus exotic and the inevitability of fire, they have justification for destroying all remaining vegetation around them to assure their damned houses do not burn.  Sorry.  it is the truth.  And it is very selfish.  And you know that you can go back to the root of the problem and NOBODY IS HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THESE POOR DECISIONS.  I am sick of it!

IRRESPONSIBILITY AND UNACCOUNTABILITY

What I am saying is that these people KNEW what could and would happen.  But somehow all of this gets lost in the planning stages.  Blame it on government and politics.  Blame it on greed.  Blame on being just plain irresponsibility and unaccountability of the "good old boy" systems that disease our governments!!.  

That is all I know to say about it.   If you do not like it...remember, I did not use proper names.  God forbid! 

Things to come in our American West.

Sorry, but this is a preview of what we Americans can expect to see unfolding in much of our West.  It is because of the very low relative humidity (RH) and now the droughts.  The droughts are not going to go away….because there are too many people vying for this priceless limited resource (water)….the most valued resource….second only to OXYGEN.  Think about it and I believe you will agree.  So, with a very low RH and the scary promise of an increased frequency of droughts…..what vegetation remains, will likely be eliminated too.  Is this not called desertification?  I am right on the edge of what I know.  But I think it is coming.  What makes me feel that it will continue is that people involved in such issues rarely come to common ground.       

Sorry, the truth often hurts.  And I am interested in relocating to NM?  Yes, it is true.  I do so love you New Mexico….you are the Land of Enchantment :) 

So, it was probably inevitable that these Californians would be "forced" to eventually destroy all of nature that surrounded their homes, in order to avoid these home-destroying fires.  

It is analogous to people building on flood plains and then wondering why their house is destroyed by floods.  Worse, they depend on FEMA (no….all of the rest of us American taxpayers!!!!)  to foot the bill after the flood.

And we all can be certain that these people are gong to continue to let the contractors push through these projects without the slightest consideration as to the horrible eventuality. 

The whole thing is appalling.  No….the word appalling is too mild for it.

I am so heartsickened by this I cannot even discuss it anymore.  It is angering beyond words.  

SPARROWS
BTW….I believe there is only 1 exotic species of sparrow in America. Please correct if I am wrong.  It is the House or English (Passer domesticus).  All the other sparrows are North American natives.  We all need to continue to educate ourselves about nature…..AND START DEFENDING HER BEFORE SHE IS SO WEAKENED TO NOT RECOVER.  BE PREPARED TO STAND UP AND STEP OUT FROM THE CROWD…BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS COMING.  IF YOU HAVE TO STAND ALONE….THEN DO IT!  We are making some progress.  Look at the Monarch Butterfly.  It seems that this one is going to be a "tears of joy" victory for all of us.  I love it!!

DO YOU THINK I AM CRAZY?
Some people who read me here think that I am nuts.  No, I am not some crazy.  The truth is that man is insane for what he is allowing to happen to the only biosphere he has.   He knows the answers and he knows the outcomes of his actions.  But he keeps doing it.

It is our biosphere…we must DEFEND IT!  Fight for it!   That is why I like the Center for Biological Diversity.  They have teeth and they use them.  I have been involved  with environmental issues for 40 years.  My ex and I worked on the Alaskan Coalition, back in the 70's.  That locked up many millions of acres for nature.   I am thankful for that. 

Sadly, today it has often come to…law suits.  We do not want them.  But we can expect more.  It is going to get nasty, and we need to fight for nature.  We will!   

BTW….We at NSN are the nature photographers.  NSN has some of the very best nature photographers on the Biosphere.  It is the truth.  And it is our nature studio that we must protect.!

Finally, don't you think that one of the base roots of the problem is our population growth as a species?  We must force our governments to begin at least discussing the benefits of zero human population growth!!

Robert King
http://www.itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

If you just click on my link you will instantly see a nice osprey action shot.  Ok, it is not quite as good as some of the ones I have seen from the real pros here….but it is my first and it is from the pond of my boyhood.  I first explored this pond as a young "Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn" over half a century ago.  Now, a few days ago, I was sliding down this deadwater with my canoe pushed by a nearly silent electric motor.  The bird literally dropped from an overhanging limb and kaplunked into the water.  It was quite a time lag before I got the camera to my face, the autofocus locked and I was able to shoot a burst.  This was the best one.  Ok E.J.….I think I know what you are thinking.  I guess I need to start posting a few shots in the gallery section.:)   That will be humbling for me I think...LOL.  :) Thanks to all and especially NSN for this forum.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:19 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Forgot to thank you Joe for this posting.  This upcoming California desecration of nature is very big, sad and final.  It is tragic enough to have great difficulty in even allowing oneself to think about...even accept it as being possible.

How did we let it get this far, without knowing that it would ? 

One final thing.  I think we naturalists and habitat managers are JUST NOW feeling the effects of how serious a problem some (not all) of these exotic species have become.  I know that exotics (I am thinking of plants now) are at a point in many NA ecosystems that they are actually delivering the KNOCK OUT punch to some of these systems.  In other words, they have taken over so fully, that the systems are collapsing and the only way to reverse it is to wipe the slate clean and start over....reclamation.  And I do believe that nobody has ever done REAL, TRUE ecosystem reclamation successfully on a large scale.  Oh sure, there will be plenty to step in and get government contracts to do it.  But I know that with wetland mitigation there is more often than not.......a lot of smoke and mirrors and big talk and promises.  But in the end, the system is NEVER reproduced in "form and function"...as it is supposed to be.  They simply do not follow through, and .....

again, it was Frank Egler, a late, great ecologist, who famously remarked in 1977, Ecosystems are not only more complex than we think; they are more complex than we can think. 

So honestly, man cannot recreate an ecosystem in its original, native, complete diversity.  If he could, he would have to identify and define each species and its entire niche in the system.  And man has stated that nobody has ever done that....NOPE!

So, we arrogantly, recklessly, continue to weaken systems until well...they are near death.  And .......

Enough from me.....:)

Your friend,

Robert
Topic Locked  

4 posts |