« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:39 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I came across this this morning while doing research on something else:

https://secure.audubon.org/site/Advocac ... on&id=1815

It is regarding the lack of responsibility taken by BP regarding the gulf oil spill.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mike in O on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Bp is like any other corporation...the bottom line is everything. Since the Supreme court made corporations people, they can pretty much do as they want since they have rights now. Actually Bp has paid through the nose, but it will never be enough, let it go.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Actually Bp has paid through the nose, but it will never be enough, let it go.
Never! They gambled and lost. Now let them pay their debt, instead of shuffling it around through subsidiaries that they claim "may go broke". Poor guys!!! The damage will go on a long time, but people seem to forget things when they don't make the headlines anymore. Now they are proud of doing fracking, as they demonstrate by their TV ads lately. No consideration for the increased earthquakes near the fracking locations nor the methane released into the atmosphere. They claim to have paid $45B so far. I wonder how much they made off the well over it's lifetime???

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/20 ... pill-video

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... lf-oil-sp/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Joe, do you bicycle to photo places?

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Joe, do you bicycle to photo places?
Now that's a ridiculous spin! But FYI, my 2010 truck has 35,000 miles on it and my wife's 2010 Camaro has 14,000 miles on it. They were both bought new in mid-2010. In comparison, a 2000 Dodge truck I bought new in 1999 and sold in 2013 had 117,000 when I sold it. I have largely reduced my travel. I don't use public transportation and have never flown in a commercial airline. I expect any suppliers of my fuel to be responsible, rather than hiring high-power attorneys to defend their unsafe and negligent actions. BP has a long history of environmental damage, including in Alaska and South America. Read up on them and you will see.

Now back to the real subject. BP has a long history of environmental problems and negligence in operations. There is a lot to be learned if you make a little effort. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

Especially under 2000-2010- "Texas City Refinery Explosion" and "Thunder Horse PDQ". In the Thunder Horse case, there was a valve installed backwards that allowed the ballst tanks to flood and other shoddy work was revealed. Also, read under "Environmental Record". They did not even pay any income taxes because of write-offs related to the spill in 2010!

This article (below) says that a judge determined that BP made a decision that was dangerous and motivated by profit, when they decided to drill the last 100 feet of the well. They decided to forego crucial tests to save money and time, instead of ensuring the well was secure. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html

They make plenty of profit, yet they fight to evade responsibility! They are reckless and don't even do maintenance that should be done, e.g. the Texas City Refinery, as mentioned above. Now they have a separate company (US Lower 48):

http://www.bp.com/en_us/bp-us/what-we-d ... er-48.html

Let's see what happens when there are consequences from fracking now. I mentioned earthquakes in Oklahoma and the New Mexico/Coloraro border in another thread. This is not referring to BP specifically, although they have a large interest in these areas and tout their fracking. E.J. posted an interesting chart in that thread. Please refer to it to open your eyes:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=249670

You replied in that one, as well, Mike.

Joe

by LeOrmand on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am
LeOrmand
Forum Contributor
Joe - do yourself a favor and read Carl Safina's "A Sea in Flames".
@JRookphotos on Instagram 

by Mike in O on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:14 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Any petroleum company could be charged with harming the environment...they are not bastions of conservation or responsible politics. Our reliance on gas guzzling vehicles makes us all culpable for the damage done and justifying your vehicle habits doesn't make you any less responsible. Do you turn on your lights when it is dark, the electricity is being produced by coal or fracking natural gas produced by an energy company. Any multi-national energy company gets large by cutting corners so stockholders can see more profits. Bp being one the biggest and oldest energy companies followed the British empire into the 4 corners of the world and have a track record that is difficult to justify; I am just stating that they are no worse than Exxon, Shell, Standard etc.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:48 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I agree with that, Mike. I can only be responsible for my actions, though. The cost-cutting a safety-cutting measures are not something I can control. Money is always the driving and destructive force behind it. Even the consumers cry when costs go up, but I prefer to pay more when lives and the environment are at stake! The trouble is that nobody (other than the companies) seems to see the damage done until it's too late.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:53 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the referral, LeOrmand!

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Just read the first chapter of "A Sea in Flames". It's incredible what transpired and all the mistakes and bad choices made along the way. It's a great read and superbly written, IMO. Here's a link with the first chapter available to read by clicking on the proper place in the right column:

http://carlsafina.org/publications/book ... k/blowout/

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
For an in-depth insight into this disaster, watch the film "The Great Invisible" on PBS Independent Lens. It is showing today and Monday on World TV. It is probably available online, as well. Check your local PBS schedule. It is eye opening and disgusting at the same time. It really is a must watch!

Joe

by pleverington on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Joe I agree with you that fracking is a wrong direction as is over drilling the earth to death which raises the chance for accidents tremendously.

I have also personally worked in the oil fields offshore and can tell you most out there on those platforms are like us here. Intelligent and concerned. In fact many are sportsman and hate when any spilling or venting goes down. They care about the environment as far as what they do.

But corporations are nothing more than dogs are to their owners. They do what they are told and are libel to bite if things go wrong. If you want corporations to change then that buck stops right at your doorstep. You know yourself for example of an analogy that hunters use to shut up the Bambi lovers by saying to them "You eat meat don't you?". and most the time that works because there's a lot of truth in it. In just the same venue you use oil don't you?? Well the bottom line is actually drawn right through your living room.

All can do a lot with conservation and passive technologies. Learn to heat and cool your house passively and if possible go for higher means. We really do need a revolution of sorts in this country to get us going in another direction and philosophy about energy and life style.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Paul, there is so much more to the story than you seem to acknowledge. It is my concern that these corporations are using extremely poor judgement in the choices they make. It is truly not bad judgement, but rather stupid choices to make more money and save time at all costs. Please do yourself the favor and read the chapter from the book that I posted the link to and, also watch the movie that I mentioned. You will see that, more than being puppy dogs to the owners, they are just plain oblivient to the safety of their workers and the environment. There was a mixture poured down the shaft on the Deep Water Horizon that should have been hauled to shore and disposed of. A pressure check that indicated a major problem was totally ignored. It was a terrible mass of bad choices and decisions to ignore warning signs. Here is a link to the PBS show:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365470682/

It truly is a must see to open your eyes to the problem I am talking about. You can say that we are responsible all you want, but that is just blind ignorance of what happened in the gulf incident. This was truly a totally preventable accident. What I'm saying is that corporations need to be held accountable and put the safety of their workers and the environmental concerns in a higher category. This situation was grossly oblivious to both!!! This situation has nothing to do with us using oil, but, rather, with corporations following safety regulations and heeding warning signs. Onshore, this is not as much of a problem because the cleanup would be much more doable compared to on the water (other than the problems that fracking presents, but that is another thing, totally, from drilling). Oil extraction will always post risks, but when it is done offshore, things are on a different level. Until new technology brings us other options, we will be dependent on oil. There are no two ways about it. Another thing that irks me is the fact that now BP tries to make it look like everything is back to normal in the gulf region. So not true!!!

I would rather address fracking on this thread:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=254384

Joe

by pleverington on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Paul, there is so much more to the story than you seem to acknowledge. It is my concern that these corporations are using extremely poor judgement in the choices they make. It is truly not bad judgement, but rather stupid choices to make more money and save time at all costs. Please do yourself the favor and read the chapter from the book that I posted the link to and, also watch the movie that I mentioned. You will see that, more than being puppy dogs to the owners, they are just plain oblivient to the safety of their workers and the environment. There was a mixture poured down the shaft on the Deep Water Horizon that should have been hauled to shore and disposed of. A pressure check that indicated a major problem was totally ignored. It was a terrible mass of bad choices and decisions to ignore warning signs. Here is a link to the PBS show:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365470682/

It truly is a must see to open your eyes to the problem I am talking about. You can say that we are responsible all you want, but that is just blind ignorance of what happened in the gulf incident. This was truly a totally preventable accident. What I'm saying is that corporations need to be held accountable and put the safety of their workers and the environmental concerns in a higher category. This situation was grossly oblivious to both!!! This situation has nothing to do with us using oil, but, rather, with corporations following safety regulations and heeding warning signs. Onshore, this is not as much of a problem because the cleanup would be much more doable compared to on the water (other than the problems that fracking presents, but that is another thing, totally, from drilling). Oil extraction will always post risks, but when it is done offshore, things are on a different level. Until new technology brings us other options, we will be dependent on oil. There are no two ways about it. Another thing that irks me is the fact that now BP tries to make it look like everything is back to normal in the gulf region. So not true!!!

I would rather address fracking on this thread:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=254384

Joe
In away your jumping to conclusions Joe. I only was pointing out one facet, and a big truth, to the whole problem. I was not inferring others aspects of the problem don't exist.

Anything man can do will have it's accidents. S**t happens. There are just too many things that can go wrong. As like the space shuttle.Stupid, accountable, simple mishaps and misjudgements cause catastrophe. Hindsight is 20/20. The only 100 % way to never have oil spills and gas fracturing putting methane in the environment is to not use those products at all. That's your bottom line. OK so we do it any how and why would a company of tens of thousands of people who are to supply us our needs be able to do so without risk. No company board of directors can control each and every employee and insure that nothing ever is going to go wrong. But money is their engine. It's up to us and the government to throttle man's impulses when all that drives them is money. We must always keep a sense of humanity on board. But to do that, only regulation--tight and lot's of it, will stop rampant greed. That and lawyers. Without lawyers, big money men would be walking all over the little guy everytime.

Yes make them pay for negligence and they will ever more be more vigilant, but do not bury them or equate them to evil. What may have happened on the deep horizon may have been done thousands of times before without incident. Life is about playing the odds. We take a gamble getting into our cars everyday.

But this statement couldn't be more wrong-

You can say that we are responsible all you want, but that is just blind ignorance of what happened in the gulf incident

We are all responsible to these problems. If we didn't take steps after Valdez and the other off shore accidents whose to blame then? We want things cheap, cheap, cheap don't we. That means companies will always cut corners. Even NASA got caught in the trap. The Apollo program had a blank check and that program was very successful. Yet Apollo 1 and 13 did happen despite man's best efforts--or so they thought.

My point is this:

S**t happens. No matter how much money you throw into safety, no matter how much technology you evoke, no matter how much regulation and precautions you take, there will still be accidents. Especially in an economic system that thrives only because of competition and free markets.

Not saying not to bring lots of pressure to bear so as to maximize the possibility of things not going wrong..only that until we stop consuming the mass quantities and adopt frugality and appreciation of our resources, we will be battling our own selves endlessly with global warming, oil spills, methane gas problems, loss of habitat to feed the animals for our next burger, pollution, and everything else that plagues modern societies.

Oil companies should be pressured to have back up containment plans in place or they just don't get to drill. They had no plan for deep water. We need to regulate them to death if necessary. Money marches to a different drum than humanity does

I'll watch the videos tonight and nice to see you fighting for the environment. As long as you on that computer I know you not out there stalking something.. :wink:

Paul
Paul Leverington

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote: In away your jumping to conclusions Joe. I only was pointing out one facet, and a big truth, to the whole problem. I was not inferring others aspects of the problem don't exist.

Anything man can do will have it's accidents. S**t happens. There are just too many things that can go wrong...... That and lawyers. Without lawyers, big money men would be walking all over the little guy everytime.

I can see that you haven't read or viewed either the chapter or the film yet!!!  This is not an accident, per se, but a wilful ignoring of the warning signs and cutting corners. Regarding lawyers, the oil companies have the best money can buy. Watch the film. The oil companies are walking all over the little guy. The propaganda machine is also hard at work to make it look like all is well.
Joe

Yes make them pay for negligence and they will ever more be more vigilant, but do not bury them or equate them to evil. What may have happened on the deep horizon may have been done thousands of times before without incident. Life is about playing the odds. We take a gamble getting into our cars everyday.

Not any comparison to getting in a car or "playing the odds". This is pure evil!!! No negligence involved!!!!! It was absolutely wilful!!! They wanted to move on and drill elsewhere quickly.
Joe

But this statement couldn't be more wrong-

You can say that we are responsible all you want, but that is just blind ignorance of what happened in the gulf incident

We are all responsible to these problems. If we didn't take steps after Valdez and the other off shore accidents whose to blame then? We want things cheap, cheap, cheap don't we. That means companies will always cut corners. Even NASA got caught in the trap. The Apollo program had a blank check and that program was very successful. Yet Apollo 1 and 13 did happen despite man's best efforts--or so they thought.

You'll think diferrently after watching the film and reading just one chapter of that book. I haven't read the rest, myself (full disclosure). One chapter made me sick enough.
Joe

My point is this:

S**t happens. No matter how much money you throw into safety, no matter how much technology you evoke, no matter how much regulation and precautions you take, there will still be accidents. Especially in an economic system that thrives only because of competition and free markets.

See my last reply above!!! Nothing was thrown into safety, but, rather, safety was totally ignored.
Joe

Not saying not to bring lots of pressure to bear so as to maximize the possibility of things not going wrong..only that until we stop consuming the mass quantities and adopt frugality and appreciation of our resources, we will be battling our own selves endlessly with global warming, oil spills, methane gas problems, loss of habitat to feed the animals for our next burger, pollution, and everything else that plagues modern societies.

Oil companies should be pressured to have back up containment plans in place or they just don't get to drill. They had no plan for deep water. We need to regulate them to death if necessary. Money marches to a different drum than humanity does

They had regulations and tests that they blatantly ignored. When you watch the film, you'll see how some of the survivors are distraught because they didn't do the right thing, orders or no orders from superiors. Now 11 men are dead and the coast is still suffering and will be for a long time. Our consumption of this resource is not to be blamed for what happened, but the blame lies on pure stupidity and love of quick money with no responsibility! I hope you do actually watch the film and read at least that one chapter. If that chapter is any indication of the rest of the book and the theme doesn't change directions, the whole incident is an insight to greed and uncaring for humanity. Please read and watch before you reply to this, please. Then I will be interested in hearing your thoughts anew!
Joe
My responses are in the boxes in blue. Ignore the "Quote". I can't remove it from the boxes. Joe

Paul

by pleverington on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:08 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Actually Joe it turns out I watched that film a couple of weeks ago.

It's just not true at all when you claim "there are no safety provisions at all".  I could get into to this if necessary, but surely you know this can't be a fact

The article was thoroughly written and folks unfamiliar as to how oil is drilled and would like to know more should read it. There is at least some bias to it however.

At one point he quotes the assessment of an accident such as the deep horizon as:

"No amount of money enough. Beyond Payable."

This is true....
Meaning no matter how much BP, Halliburton, and others are made to pay, it won't be enough. The bottom line on that is, is it even possible to drill a hundred percent of the time and never risk such an accident happening again on the scale of the deep horizon. The answer is NO.

They wanted speed. If we filled a supply boat with five thousand gallons of diesel fuel in twenty-five minutes, they’d rather you disconnect in a big hurry and spill fifty gallons across the deck than take an extra three minutes to do it safe and clean.

I don't know why he put this in the article as it is misleading, isolated, and probably falsely interpreted.

OK--I lived in Louisiana and I worked offshore in the gulf oil industry for Mobil oil--platform 10B as it was called was our main home. But on any given day, me and my crew could be assigned to 5 or more locations spread throughout the gulf whisked to and from by helicopter. Sometimes more, most often less. Sometimes days at one location. I met and was witness to a lot of what goes on all over the gulf. I NEVER saw the kind of cowboy cavalier behavior he is describing from just this one witness he sites the whole time I was out there. My guess is the incident probably did happen and the guy guilty of it tried to pass it off lightly to save face by acting cowboy. I would never believe this sort of thing happened all the time. This sort of thing was not ever "routine", it was never ever something allowed in any way shape or manner. He goes on to describe guys that were hired that could not even read and write. Maybe there have been a few, but with zero hesitation I tell you every man or woman I met could read and write. 

The men and women on these rigs are much like you Joe. They care. They care about their job, they care about their families, they care about the environment. In fact I had many an academic type discussion about the environment with many other people working the rigs. Most are outdoors-men by the way.

If anyone spills any oil overboard for whatever reason it can spell big trouble for them. The company can get a heavy fine and they can loose their jobs. Everyone, if not environmentally concerned to begin with, were concerned for their jobs.

My time in the gulf was the early 80's. Not far off from the time the author sites as these events took place.

But here is the main deal.......

Drilling for oil is dangerous and not an exact science because there are unknowns that one cannot see. We can't know what that drill is going to hit. And when I was there in the gulf there was plenty of oil to be found in shallow water. Not the case now. As we keep running out we have to go further and deeper to find oil. Just as the oil fields dried up in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas and we have to move off shore to begin with. Out there in the gulf is another whole world that only those who go there know. It is like all these towns and cities no one has ever heard of. It's surreal. Thousands of structures out there. It's crowded actually. But the article should enlighten to you and everyone drilling has some art to it and if one or more little things go wrong it could be a catastrophy. The stakes are high...the risk is high. One just can't see what's going on down there exactly. The drillers rely on experience a lot and what is known from other similar experiences. Not to say that's what' happened here altogether, but all the blowout preventers not working top and bottom? True the explosion messed up the top ones, but who would have forseen this? Your main, your backup to the main, your secondary, your backup to the secondary all failing? I was around drilling enough to know that the science of mud and which formula to use was rather an expiriment in the field. Many times you take an educated guess at it based on your best evidence. That's right...this is how oil drilling is. It's the best guess.

We had 2 space shuttles disintegrate and for what reasons?? People working on it that couldn't read and write? People who thought they were cowboys? People who didn't care? I don't think you'll find more dedicated people than those that work in the space program. Yet s**t happens, apollo 1, 13, 2 shuttles, countless rocket failures..and some still to this day..

Point is simply this, no matter how much money, how dedicated the people are, how careful, educated, and regulated people are, if your working in a field with unknowns as drilling a 3 to 7 mile deep well below 1 mile of water is, the odds go up significantly that you will have an accident that will be very hard, maybe even impossible to contain until the pocket of oil and gas is drained out.  Lets hope that never happens and it may indeed never happen, but if it does, what then?? We can't send a hundred scuba divers down a mile or even dry suits that deep. Only robotic craft and submarines. Are they ready and waiting at a moments notice? Do we have all manner of standby personnel and equipment and parts ready??

Very good read-I absorbed every word-and like I said earlier a good primer for those totally unfamiliar with oil drilling. You can't draw any factual conclusions that point the finger at any one person or company as so many things all came together and failed at the same time. I would say it has more to do with fate and human error. Since we can never be perfect this sort of thing will always be possible...

Unless............we stop using so much oil..

Or run out someday...

Paul
Paul Leverington

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Well, Paul, this is one where we have to agree to disagree. I feel totally differently about this than you. Your experience was in the early 80's, according to you. That was about thirty years ago!!! The political climate and everything else has changed. Around here, the regulations are not getting stronger, but weaker and relaxed from the past regulations. They are regressing!!! All I can say is that for those persons with a desire to gain insight to the Deepwater Horizon incident, watch the film and read the chapter, at the very least. Then you can form your own opinions about what Paul and I say.

Joe

by pleverington on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Joe I simply referenced my experience from the eighties because that was the time frame that also was relative to the author quoting as a time when everyone out in the gulf were cowboys. That implication is a totally false one.
I never implied then was like now. Of course the times change. But not as you claim either, which by the way is pure supposition and conjecture. No where in the article or video does anyone claim that regulations and drilling knowledge are less than they were a long time ago. There is more knowledge and tougher regulations then ever before. The only person that claims things are way weaker and relaxed than before is you Joe...and no offense Joe, but you basically don't know rats butt about drilling, the deep horizon incident, how things happen in the oil industry, or what life is like in the gulf.

But here Joe.... here's some space for you to fill up with a list of your so called "weaker and relaxed regulations" than were in place in the past. Here write them down...make a list to support your claims...give us a list of these slackened regulations:

You need to read things more carefully without trying so hard to put a preconceived spin on them. The author drew the same conclusions as I did and as BP did and that's that too many things that by themselves would have been kept under control, but all at one time led to the accident. The mud, the cement, the conditions of the drill hole walls, the snot...none of that would lead to disaster, but when you add on the shut offs that malfunctioned from cascading problems all their own, you got the coup de grass as they say. Like every other disaster hind sight is 20/20. We will always have the periodic disaster Joe no matter how much you come down on people or change things. That's not saying stop trying or anything. All I'm saying is it will happen again somewhere, sometime, somehow, because there is a lot of high risk in deep water drilling. What is there so hard for you to understand about that fact and why do you believe we disagree on anything? No one can safeguard us against an accident never happening and sure you can always find someone to blame afterwards.
And this is exactly why we cut the shuttle program. No way could we prevent another shuttle disaster. Just like deep water drilling the very design of the endeavor is of such high risk it's inevitable. Going back to the Apollo style space capsule is by far a less complicated and more straightforward design with checks to save the lives of the astronauts such as having an escape tower and a simple heat shield with that is rugged unlike the soft delicate tiles on the shuttle. A space capsule instead of the shuttle would have survived both case scenarios of the deadly shuttle accidents. And you would think we could keep airplanes in the sky too after all our previous crashes and redesigns wouldn't you? But you accept that those will always be coming down now and then don't you? Everyone does, even though we all hate it, we DO accept that this will always happen. Accidents will always happen... Deep water drilling is like the shuttle in as far as being very risky.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying don't find the problems and fix them, or don't change procedures or drilling technique. All I am saying is that you trying to force upon human endeavors something which will never happen and that's a 100 % drill success rate in deep water without ever having an accident...and that is simply impossible to insure. And the harder it is to do any kind of damage control, as we witnessed with deep horizon, the more damage will occur. Is this a price we are willing to pay for again?? Or maybe again and again?? Remember these things have happened before to shallow rigs but because we could easily send men and equipment down to those depths damage control was possible. You never hear of those Joe because they were contained. Right?? But bet your bottom that tragedy has been averted countless times, but only because the water was shallow and the cut outs worked. A lot of accidents have been contained from getting to be out of control disasters. In water a mile or more deep this is nearing the impossible.

One more thing. When I was out there we went through a hurricane. You have no idea how that is without any land structures whatsoever to break and slow the wind, Think hurricane on steroids....Think scared..like for your life. So what if a huge hurricane slams the oil rigs and they become disconnected from the floor of the gulf or how about a sudden tsunami with little to no forecast..What then?? Who ya gonna blame and hold accountable for a bunch of uncorked wells or production lines bleeding into the gulf then?

Paul
Paul Leverington

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's one example from NM:

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/l ... d5a78.html

Guess where the backing for the governor came from and who was hand picked and appointed the committee that made this decision.

From an iPad, I can't do more copy and paste, but I will show you more examples from the desktop later, including one from here regarding mining regs. These are regarding extractive industries and oil.

This one has to do with mines here in NM:

http://www.earthworksaction.org/media/d ... UCmxCFVhBd

Here are a few more for you:

Read where Lisa Murkowski's funds came from in this one:

http://priceofoil.org/2014/03/03/new-re ... gulations/

this one shows how the regulators were literally in bed with the oil companies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/us/po ... ulate.html

http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-08-0 ... n-response

http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=15

http://law2.wlu.edu/deptimages/journal% ... -Davis.pdf

http://www.naturalgasintel.com/articles ... equirement

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... y-platform

http://www.eenews.net/special_reports/d ... 1060008302

From your part of the country:

https://slowdownfracking.wordpress.com/ ... gulations/

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... s-drilling

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/0 ... l-impacts/

and the report to the president on the spill:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-OILCOM ... ISSION.pdf

http://tjogel.org/sell-the-surplus-rela ... e-exports/

http://www.ontheissues.org/internationa ... _+_Oil.htm

http://www.akdart.com/oil1.html

http://www.drillingcontractor.org/envir ... ogies-3144

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gener ... -Jobs.html

ad nauseum....

Want more???

I find it hard to believe that you even read the chapter or watched the film if you say the following:
...The only person that claims things are way weaker and relaxed than before is you Joe...and no offense Joe, but you basically don't know rats butt about drilling, the deep horizon incident, how things happen in the oil industry, or what life is like in the gulf. ...

You need to read things more carefully without trying so hard to put a preconceived spin on them. The author drew the same conclusions as I did and as BP did and that's that too many things that by themselves would have been kept under control, but all at one time led to the accident. The mud, the cement, the conditions of the drill hole walls, the snot...none of that would lead to disaster, but when you add on the shut offs that malfunctioned from cascading problems all their own, you got the coup de grass as they say.
The author was pretty clear about the way pressure tests were ignored and other poor choices. This is not a series of things that randomly occurred, but rather, a series of bad decisions to ignore real warning signs and to skirt requirements, e.g. the disposal of fluids on shore. On page 90 of the report to the president, (link provided above) the accident is stated to have been preventable. On page 98, it tells about what happened regarding pressures that were ignored and were a critical problem. On page 101, it tells of cement tests which failed, but were ignored. On page 106, it tells how they chose to use a spacer material and volume that was never previously used or tested. Certainly, you must read pages from there through page 109, at least.  Common sense tells you that if you simply read the facts of what was done and not done, there were bad choices, not mistakes made!!!!!!!!! You don't need to be a so called "expert" to see the impending disaster these bad choices could lead to. Please read this as well regarding drilling the last 100 feet:

Joe

by pleverington on Sun May 03, 2015 1:40 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Here's one example from NM:

Read the article more closely Joe....The bill is designed to help the little guy who is not in a position to dig a pit for every well.

"The commission also said the new rule offers some flexibility but not at the expense of water quality or public safety.
Most of the changes affect parts of the rule regulating waste pit permits, siting, design, construction and closure. The commission says the changes streamline and clarify the pit rule, making it easier for small-scale oil and gas operators to comply."

This bill has only been introduced and has not passed anywhere. It is not an example of relaxed regulation on drilling procedures.
http://openstates.org/nm/bills/2015/HB625/    This bill has not passed.

Another bill that is only a proposal therefore irrelevant to the discussion. Plus has nothing to do with relaxing of regulations that watch over well drilling process.

This article is about the very things that I am saying. It has nothing to do with relaxing of drilling regulations and everything to do with the fact deep water oil drilling is inherently dangerous for us and the environment and needs more regulation different kinds of regulation that has never been in existence before.
"Even the officials who run it, Mr. Salazar and the new director, Michael R. Bromwich, admit that they have a long way to go before government can provide the kind of rigorous oversight demanded by the complex, highly technical and deeply risky business of drilling for oil beneath the sea."

This is more than a bit misleading. Here the difference is between federal and state regulations and for most things those are the same. It has nothing to do with the fact that an oil company doesn't have to take preventative measures ahead of time to prevent oil spill accidents nor does it say they don't have to completely clean that up.

"Spill response plans in Alaska take into consideration the remoteness of the drilling locations, and require trained staff and equipment be pre-positioned where it is readily available.
“They have to show that they have the equipment in region to contain the spill volume and begin cleaning it up, and that by the 15th day they’d be able to collect that oil and have storage available to store the recovered oil,” said Betty Schorr, who reviews spill response plans for DEC.
Alaska might require additional blowout preventers as well due to the remoteness of Arctic drill sites, she said.
In the Gulf of Mexico, with tremendous industry assets available nearby, that level of preparedness might not be needed.
The existing Alaska plans, under which Shell Oil is seeking permits for offshore exploration in the Arctic Ocean, have met that tougher standard, Dietrick said.
“The existing (OCS) plans have gone through that process, but anything that comes through the door after July 1 will no longer have to be reviewed by us,” Dietrick said.

Dietrick said it is not even clear Alaska could hold Shell to standards that it has already agreed to, but the company has told the state it would continue to meet those requirements."

Gee...you mean an oil company can actually care and be on the environmental side???  Wow who would have thought......But apparently shell oil is doing just that and that is the company that is asking for the permits..

This was a good article.Not for the discussion, but to let people who are Republicans and at the same time who care about the environment, why they should change and vote democrat or other.
I think folks ought to read this also as it reflects on this free market bs. It was on pg 3 of your link.

http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=13

But the only thing that related to the oil industry in this article directly was citing the blowout preventers and how the US is not using the better and more expensive ones. This is not less regulation at all, but regulation that has never been and is what I am saying. If we are going to drill a mile or more down in the water we need more regulations and strategies than we have now. But oil companies actually are following the present regulations. Also there is simply no guarantee that more expensive preventers are not going to fail either.This is something that knee jerk interpreting fails to see. If you drill in deep water the chances for disaster go way up, regardless of how much regulation or advanced equipment your using is. Until someone develops a fail safe technology you can forget 100%. Drilling has never been and never will be 100% safe to do.

Again this is a lot more about the fact that we need additional and revised regulation and not that we have relaxed regulations that then allowed the deepwater horizon accident.. But the article is a good one and addresses more that we all need to change our attitudes....
[font=serif] For 
         that bad things happen, even really bad things......

He further brings to light the US has no real energy policy nor does it have a real national environmental policy ...

[/font]

He makes point that since international markets in oil set the prices we can only sustain drilling domestically by cutting costs. See now .....this is just one of those things people don't consider usually. The problem is so more far ranging than regulations alone on how the drilling rig actually goes about drilling..
These oils spills are an indictment of capitalism itself....Are we ready to change all that?? Cause this is at the root of the problem.

He further goes on a talk about the fact that we are coming from a philosophy of dominating nature to that of one protecting nature.

"between 1955-2010 there have been 44 major blowouts worldwide, that's one every 15 months"

This is why my environmental stance is one to change our philosophy that then dictates our attitudes.

"Despite the abundant documentation of environmental and safety risks and a record that shows that blowouts and spills of more than 1,000
barrels are hardly anomalies, it has been industry and governmental policy and practice in the United States to ignore or downplay those facts."

"Oil and gas development can be highly profitable for those in the business of finding, extracting, and transporting oil and gas.It is also hugely lucrative to the governments that host it.
Between the years 2000 and 2010, the federal government collected between $4 billion and $18 billion per year in lease payments, royalties, and bonuses.
It was the business of MMS to collect those sums, the same MMS that was supposed to regulate the oil and gas industry."

As I have been saying, if you want to stop oil spills you are going to get rid of capitalism or stop using oil for everything....Good luck with the first one...
Are you willing to pay much higher taxes to make up for lost revenues gained by the government to run this country...I mean where do you think all that money comes from??

"The relaxed approach to assessing and managing risk on the
Macondo well job were not anomalies (reserving judgment on the issues of
well design and rig management specific to the Deepwater Horizon
 rig).Even if the Macondo well had been perfectly planned and drilled, the
possibility of a blowout and spill still existed (e.g., from earth quakes,
mudslides, acts of terror, or war).The decision to ignore or minimize
those risks was born of a culture of risk taking and shared purpose and a
legal framework that shifted risk and responsibility from the industry and
the federal government and onto millions of others in the Gulf Coast, onto
the environment, and onto future generations assuming a large share of
living with that risk."

BA DA BING!!!!!

And just what have I been telling you Joe all along? What have I been telling you?? And now this author is saying the same exact thing. There is nothing that will save the environment from disaster if we have a hurricane  bad enough, a tsunami, or an earthquake. He throws in terrorism, and war, and mudslides too. Go ahead regulate everything to death..you still have these things that would be more than we can handle.

You didn't even read this whole article did you. Your just copy-pasting, hoping you got something aren't you? This article supports all that I am saying and reflects the truth of our problems. I do recommend people read it.

He summarizes:

"Until the systemic conditions, overconfidence, and hubris that
paved the way to disaster on April 20, 2010, are addressed and changed the
only real barrier between ourselves and repeated avoidable tragedy will be
good luck.  That does not have to be our path, but to change it will take real
effort. The further we get from the spill, the less likely it is that anything
fundamental will happen. To be sure, there are still efforts underway,
 but if they succeed, it will likely be because of an enormous effort on the part
of committed stakeholders and key elected officials to keep the issues alive.
The takeaway here is that people learn, but institutions react. Without
concerted effort, one can only expect them to react in ways that recreate the pre-event status quo. The
Deepwater Horizon blowout may have taught
many important lessons, but as yet, most of them are still unlearned by
those most responsible. "

Nothing to do with drilling regulations for a drilling platform itself but a great article which puts focus on the real solutions.....

Nothing to do with relaxed drill platform regulations, but a good reason to vote democratic ticket... And backs up the above illustrated points.

This also has nothing to do with relaxed regulations, but more about how f*****d up the system is.
And a noteworthy statement here:

"We welcome strong regulation," American Petroleum Institute President Jack Gerard said last year after a speech on industry standards. "We resist duplicative, contradictory, confusing regulation. There's an important difference between the two in terms of our ability to operate."

so how many deaths per year in the oil industry Joe?? Ha..I know you don't know because you didn't actually read the article. It's 92. The article is about how the oil industry, because of it's own particular inherent nature is a very special case that needs different types of OSHA regulations. The article then goes on to say that standardized regulations that work for other industries are inadequate for the oil industry. That's why the industry is having safety problems--not that the oil companies don't follow the ones in place. Got to read it if you want to know what it really says....

"The folks that are dying out there are contractors," said Schmitz, chairman of the MonDaks safety group of companies operating in Montana and North Dakota, and a regional manager and safety trainer for PEC Safety."

as a contractor myself I understand this statement and it is the crux of the safety issue in the oil fields
. Contractor is a separate entity from employee legally and often is not under the same regulations.

From your part of the country:

This is about proposed new regulations and the ODNR is asking for comments. Rather irrelevant at the moment. Would like to hear the other side of the story too however before drawing any conclusions.

"Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the No. 2 Democrat in the House, called the energy bills a waste of time, since they were unlikely to be taken up in the Democratic-controlled Senate and faced veto threats from Obama. "
Doesn't sound like this one is going anywhere.. Again and again...without a policy, the environment will be under constant assault...You have been enjoying the lower gas prices haven't you? According to this article easing and expansion of drilling  permits is why. I hear a lot of finger pointing except at the very source for these energy needs. You.

This too has little to do with relaxed regulations is more about regulations that need to exist and don't.

Yep...the more we want the more they'll make and the more the environment will suffer....SURPRISE!!!!!
Cut your consumption...everyone....cut back. Go electric and use solar and wind to whatever degree you can at your house or location.

and the report to the president on the spill:

Which concludes it's time to do a lot of things different which is exactly correct. And is what I also have been saying.

This is about economics and ties in with that previously posted article so is redundant. Good points, but illustrates nothing about relaxing regulations on drill rigs as they go about their drilling.

"Congress should revisit and repeal the outdated restrictions on U.S. crude exports. The recent boom in onshore production and pipeline projects result in surplus crude in Gulf Coast refineries. That surplus drives prices downward and harms domestic producers. Allowing oil exports will boost the domestic economy and advance U.S. foreign policy."

In and of itself sounds good. Is it an automatic the environment will be hurt by it?? Not sure why you posted this one as it makes some great arguments for the export of oil and gas.

I'm really not sure why you posted this one as if it supports anything your claiming. Apparently Mary Landrieu is solidly on the right track in overhaling our way of thinking.
against allowing exploration in oil shale in Colorado,
Member of bipartisan “Gang of 10” for comprehensive oil plan
Voted YES on requiring full Senate debate and vote on cap-and-trade.
Voted YES on tax incentives for energy production and conservation.
Voted YES on addressing CO2 emissions without considering India & China.
Voted YES on factoring global warming into federal project planning.
Voted YES on $3.1B for emergency oil assistance for hurricane-hit areas.
Voted YES on reducing oil usage by 40% by 2025 (instead of 5%).
Voted YES on To overhaul the Bush Administration Energy Policy.
Voted YES on targeting 100,000 hydrogen-powered vehicles by 2010.

So those were the good things she voted yes on. On the other hand apparently she wants to hold open the option to drill in ANWR and she voted to ban the EPA from regulating greenhouse emissions. That's probably what caught your eye huh Joe?? Well what about the other things she voted on that will certainly benefit the environment? Well seeing the WHOLE picture, a new one emerges, and there are probably factors other than what meets the eye that had an effect on her vote. Obviously she wants change and wants the environment to not go down the tubes.

A republican rant Joe???  Really??? And I know for sure you never read any of it since that would take a month!! I'm forgetting this one, but the link has value to help environmentally minded people as to how the enemy thinks...

Wow....so what's wrong with the EFD program?? I rather applaud it as a guiding light for the future strategies...

"The overall concept of the EFD program is not to accept the prevalent opinion that government ownership and oversight is the answer to protecting the environment. Rather, it’s that private stewards continue to be the best stewards. On the whole, private stewards take pride in managing their land, and technology can provide many of the methods to accomplish this."

Sounds good to me Joe...what's the problem?? Been my contention all along that we all individually need to take the responsibility for the environment. Seems to me that's what the EFD program is all about!! Bravo!!

Last 6 links don't seem to support anything your saying nor validate any of your claims that the oil spill with deep horizon was because of relaxed regulations governing the drilling operation. Fact is it seems to me you rather wore yourself out with your attrition tactic.  Got to the last six and you weren't even paying attention anymore to exactly what you were copying and pasting--you just wanted volume!!

ad nauseum....

Want more???
Sure.... bring it on......Only this time get yours facts straightened out. And forget trying to "win" and concentrate more on what we all need to do to solve the problems.

But a lot of good info and yes I learned a lot I didn't know. But my position on deep water oil drilling held up as well as the fact that the accident was more a failure off philosophy, and policy from that philosophy, than it was from any oil company or procedures of drilling a well compromised in safety from relaxed regulations governing that drilling.

I find it hard to believe that you even read the chapter or watched the film if you say the following:
...The only person that claims things are way weaker and relaxed than before is you Joe...and no offense Joe, but you basically don't know rats butt about drilling, the deep horizon incident, how things happen in the oil industry, or what life is like in the gulf. ...

You need to read things more carefully without trying so hard to put a preconceived spin on them. The author drew the same conclusions as I did and as BP did and that's that too many things that by themselves would have been kept under control, but all at one time led to the accident. The mud, the cement, the conditions of the drill hole walls, the snot...none of that would lead to disaster, but when you add on the shut offs that malfunctioned from cascading problems all their own, you got the coup de grass as they say.
The author was pretty clear about the way pressure tests were ignored and other poor choices. This is not a series of things that randomly occurred, but rather, a series of bad decisions to ignore real warning signs and to skirt requirements, e.g. the disposal of fluids on shore. On page 90 of the report to the president, (link provided above) the accident is stated to have been preventable. On page 98, it tells about what happened regarding pressures that were ignored and were a critical problem. On page 101, it tells of cement tests which failed, but were ignored. On page 106, it tells how they chose to use a spacer material and volume that was never previously used or tested. Certainly, you must read pages from there through page 109, at least.  Common sense tells you that if you simply read the facts of what was done and not done, there were bad choices, not mistakes made!!!!!!!!! You don't need to be a so called "expert" to see the impending disaster these bad choices could lead to. Please read this as well regarding drilling the last 100 feet:

Joe I told you I read the article and did so with complete scrutiny. I know from my personal past what he was describing so it was second nature and very easy to understand.

And Carl Finas last paragraph of his article is......This is what I got from it...what article were you reading???

"Unlike a tanker running aground and spilling oil—a simple cause-and-effect accident—this is a chain disaster. Each of the distinct failures of equipment and judgment, combined, was required to cause the event. And if any single component had not failed, or had been handled differently, this blowout never would have happened. And we’re not done yet, because a failure of preparedness to deal with a deepwater blowout will cost many pounds of cure over the coming months."

Ta da!! There it is from the article you keep referring to. You need to watch some of those airplane crash disaster investigation shows. Same thing.. It's almost always a sequence of failures that lead to disaster.

I'm all for your environmentalism, but I'm afraid when people do knee jerk convictions which usually fall on the big corporations, and fail to see the real danger in that, I need to sound off. The problem lies with all of us, which includes the oil companies too.

Go back and read the links you posted and garner the facts as to how much environmental damage has been going on way before the deep water incident. Your looking at this with some tunnel vision I'm afraid. Take off the blinders and expand your field of view.

And don't keep posting link after link as if no one will ever follow up on them. Makes your points look even weaker IMO.

Paul

Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

28 posts |