Bohemain Waxwing

Posted by OntPhoto on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
In the past week I have seen a number of flocks of bohemian waxwings in the Ottawa area.  No photo ops though.

On my way to see Boreal Chickadees near Ottawa, I finally happened onto a flock of 200 bohemians feeding away on buckthorn berries.  What a treat.  After 30 minutes I decided to go see the boreal chickadees and then on the way back shoot more bohemians. 

Boreal chickadees rarely make any southward movement outside the boreal forest with Algonquin Park being the southern limit of their breeding range.  This winter has been full of boreal bird surprises including more than the usual number of black-backed woodpeckers down here in Ottawa.  Along with a pair of American three-toed woodpecker as well. 

Very few people know the location of the boreal chickadees near Ottawa as it is not being reported.  Suppose I am privileged with this sighting which I am thankful for. 

No Bohemians on the way back.  Oh well, lesson learned for  next time  Don't leave a good photo op :D

7D MK2 and 500 f4 II + 1.4x.  Cloned out small branch below.  Thanks for looking.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor

by mlgray12 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Sweet shoot of a stunning bird - Boreal Chickadees are easy up in Alaska especially if you know someone feeding them in winter
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by OntPhoto on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:55 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
mlgray12 wrote:Sweet shoot of a stunning bird - Boreal Chickadees are easy up in Alaska especially if you know someone feeding them in winter

Thanks Michael.  They can be easily found up in Algonquin Park too along the Spruce Bog Boardwalk.  Over the past few years they have been putting out suet feeders there and this draws them in.  The two that I saw on Sunday near Ottawa (the fella has seen at least 6 come to his feeders) were always on the ground picking up pieces of suet and other goodies. 

by S. Davis on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 am
S. Davis
Forum Contributor
Nicely done!Great details!

by Ivan Sjögren on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:42 am
Ivan Sjögren
Forum Contributor
Nice shot! I like the pose, soft light an the perch. Spot on BG too. I would stay away from crooping photos in Squares as it doesn't help the comp. This one would work nicely as a vertical shot with some more room on the right as the bird is looking that way.
Ivan Sjögren

Website - http://www.sjogrenstudio.com

by Karl Egressy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:22 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Beautiful image, Wilson. They might come this way as they did other time.

by OntPhoto on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:34 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Beautiful image, Wilson. They might come this way as they did other time.

Thanks Karl.  I hope they do show up in your area.  We did not see many here until we were well into winter and in many instances, not until late winter like right now.

by Missy Mandel on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:52 am
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
A beautiful image. I do agree with the crop suggested by Ivan.
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by Larsen on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Really nice! The only time I seem to see these guys is when they're in a busy crab apple tree.
_

9 posts |