Botswana - Okavango

Posted by fendleroc on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
It's been my thrilling encounter for my first safari. 7PM - night drive safari - It's pitch dark, the guide stops suddenly, deep silence and suddenly a lion roars and a second one echoes to the first one. :shock:
The guide spoted the torchlight towards the first lion a few meter away from us, we stayed there for a few moment before taking a picture because it was a magic and fleeting moment.

My photo is not as good as the one's from dave and carol but I'm learning...
D70+70/200VR+TC1.7
Focal 175x1.5mm-F4.8-1/60
Torchlight + flash

Posted by:
fendleroc
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Its sweet of you to say so Louis, but we all never stop learning! :wink:

Night photography is never easy, and it does help if your guide is used to going out with photographers and shines the spotlight just near the animal and not directly on them - especially not in their face - which is something a good guide will never do. 8) :D

This male looks like he has been in a fight or two - and not come out too well. If he has only one eye, he will be at a great disadvantage both for hunting and when under attack from other males. :?

I agree that night drives are an amazing experience!! :shock: :D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Nicole Brooker on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:01 am
Nicole Brooker
Forum Contributor
Sounds like some of our night drives. I wish I had put more thought into night photography prior to my trip. I often wondered whether I should have taken a flash extender as sometimes the reach just wasn't enough. An excuse to go back to practice more! Maybe we'll all meet in Africa one day. :wink:
Nicole
[url]http://www.oznaturephotos.com.au[/url]

by Tim Grams on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:51 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Sounds like an amazing experience and it looks like your right on top of the tough old guy. 8) Its an image that certainly fits this weeks Motif.

Not having tried any night wildlife photography, I can certainly say that this is better than anything I have!

Thanks for posting. Hopefully from getting critques on your images and analyzing the images of others, you'll be a better photographer next time you get down to Africa.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by DC on Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:30 pm
DC
Regional Moderator
It's not easy Louis and I'm no expert by any stretch. EJ's the man for flash advice.

It's a good shot though, sure looks like a fighter.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by NDCheryl on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:52 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
It must have been exciting to see this at night. The image while not sharp, clearly shows this guy has been through some fights.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Debski on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:59 am
Debski
Forum Contributor
:x Poor guy. you rally captured the look that tells of all his fights. It's not easy out there, poor guy. Nice job with your 200. San Diego Deb
Debbie Beals
San Diego, CA

7 posts |