New Skeena Bridge

Posted by SteveXs2 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
EDIT:^ Second Process with less saturation.

I shot this tonight from the beach on the side of the river. I liked the lighting on the mountains and got in close with around a 95mm focal length at f11.

Settings were:

- Canon D30
- EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 at approx 95mm
- ISO 400 (lots of noise :( )
- 1/50th @ f11
- ND Grad for dynamic range

Photoshop modifications were Levels, Hue/Saturation, Curves (for colour), and used a small amount (11%) of Shadow revival with Shadow/Highlight. Cropped it to pano size and, although I'd rather not have done it, I cloned out some power lines and an ugly cloud (very small). There's a LOT of noise in here, I know, D30 at ISO 400 isn't mans best friend and I don't have a noise reduction program.

Please comment & add constructive criticism.

The poor quality of this image really makes me want to upgrade my camera. The D30 is an incredible camera for portraits & other things like that, but for Landscapes I'd prefer a model like the 10D.
~ Steve Simons

Canon EOS D30
EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM
Optex T265 Tripod
Cokin & Optex Filters

Last edited by SteveXs2 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
SteveXs2
Forum Contributor

by Neil Fitzgerald on Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:20 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Steve, not a bad shot, but this should be in Elements of Humankind.
Looks like you are embracing the digital/manipulation thing. While you have the clone tool out I'd remove the bright spot under the bridge (looks like a car light). The light on the mountains is nice.

by Harvey Edelman on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:11 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
While the general composition is nice the colors are somewhat odd and off to the point of appearing posterized. PS and other image editors are the tools to work with but the adjustments have to be done with care. Curves might have been overdone here I'd like to see a copy of this image posted straight out of the camera. I've seen plenty of excellent images taken with the D 30.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Harvey Edelman on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:35 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Downloading and taking a better look at the image, it appeared that you possibly went a bit overboard with curves and especially saturation. The bottom foliage was buried in shadow. Although we don't have any mountains in Florida, I've never seen mountains that were Royal Blue :). If you still have the raw version I'd work on it some more. Here's what I was able to do with your version as a quicky. Just trying to be of help.
Harvey Edelman

by Steve Mason on Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:14 am
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
I like the composition here.
The mountains are a bit blue for my taste as well, but I do like the hint of sunlight on the peaks, which isn't as evident in Harvey's repost.

The D30 is a very capable camera, though you really do have to stay at lower ISO settings.
The best landscape shot I ever took was with my D30, unfortunately it was also at ISO400 (accidentally) but with some noise reduction software, I have a framed 16x24 that holds up pretty well.
I don't regret switching to the 10D though :)
Steve Mason

by Harvey Edelman on Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:23 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
BTW...another thought occurred to me. Why did you shoot at ISO 400? It's a landscape. The bridge isn't about to fly away :)
Harvey Edelman

by SteveXs2 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:33 pm
SteveXs2
Forum Contributor
I shot at ISO400 because it was windy and I don't have a very sturdy tripod so I wanted to keep the shutter speeds fairly high to prevent camera shake and motion blur in the trees (they were moving from the wind). I was getting around 1/50th or so for a shut underexposed by around 1-stop (to maintain highlights). I guess I should've shot in RAW instead of JPG/Fine I guess.
Here's the unprocessed file, just cropped, resized & a bit of sharpening.
Here's another take at processing. A little Shadow/Highlight, Saturation, Levels for contrast, and then used a Warming Filter.

The thing with the mountains, they really are that colour. I just used too much saturation there.
~ Steve Simons

Canon EOS D30
EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM
Optex T265 Tripod
Cokin & Optex Filters

by Harvey Edelman on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:16 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
SteveXs2 wrote:I shot at ISO400 because it was windy and I don't have a very sturdy tripod so I wanted to keep the shutter speeds fairly high to prevent camera shake and motion blur in the trees (they were moving from the wind). I was getting around 1/50th or so for a shut underexposed by around 1-stop (to maintain highlights). I guess I should've shot in RAW instead of JPG/Fine I guess.
Here's the unprocessed file, just cropped, resized & a bit of sharpening.
Here's another take at processing. A little Shadow/Highlight, Saturation, Levels for contrast, and then used a Warming Filter.

The thing with the mountains, they really are that colour. I just used too much saturation there.
Your post processing on this one is much better. Not overdone this time. You could use the dodge tool and just add a few highlights to the foliage here and there. When I downloaded the first post I enlarged it to 200% and the post of the brige showed all the artifacts from oversaturation. As to the wind, you could have shot I think at ISO 200 and there wouldn't be any blur detected in the image unless there was a gale :) . BTW...I no longer use graduted ND filters as you can do the same effect with software and you'll actually have more control.

Again...your repost is a vast improvement.
Harvey Edelman

by Ken Cravillion on Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:09 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
The reposts are much better Steve.
Ken Cravillion

9 posts |