« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by john on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
I did a reinstall of CS6 because I was getting an error pop up every time I opened PS6 that I would have to hit "enter" several times to get past so Photoshop would open.  This turned out to be the fault of NIK plugins which are not compatible with Windows XP so once I removed the offending plugins Photoshop opens normally. However I am no longer able to see the files from my 5DM3 in Bridge and when I try to open them in ACR I get a message that the camera is not supported in my version of PS.  I have windows Xp 32 bi,t PS6, ACR 7.0 an all updates are done. I've tried all the recommendations about cleaning the cache etc to no avail.  Can anyone point me a new direction.  Incidentally when I try to download and convert to DNG it tells me that has failed and I can't access them that way either.  HELP  I've also tried reinstalling all the NIK software with no luck. I have tried it on my home computer with Win7 64bit and they open just fine on that.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You need to go to the Adobe site and download ACR 8.3. that is the last version of ACR compatible with XP. ACR 7 does not, and never has supported the 5D3. You likely didn't have a problem before since you were keeping PS up to date but when you reinstalled, you installed ACR 7 which predates the 5D3 and therefore can't read the files. I would first try simply opening Bridge or PS and clicking on Help and then Updates - it should find ACR 8.3. But if it doesn't you will have to search for it on the Adobe site.

by john on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
Thanks EJ.  I did try the update routine, but it didn't work.  I'll go on a search for it and report back tomorrow!

Well that worked great...thanks!  As an aside....if anyone else is still running 32 bit XP and has NIK software installed and gets several error boxes when trying to launch Photoshop,  Nik is the culprit.  Only viveza, sharpener pro, and define will work and the rest balk when  you try to open them and cause the launch errors.  If you go to the plugins folder and remove all the rest PS launches smoothly and you still have 3 working plugins.

by WJaekel on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:34 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
john wrote:...... As an aside....if anyone else is still running 32 bit XP and has NIK software installed and gets several error boxes when trying to launch Photoshop,  Nik is the culprit.  Only viveza, sharpener pro, and define will work and the rest balk when  you try to open them and cause the launch errors.  If you go to the plugins folder and remove all the rest PS launches smoothly and you still have 3 working plugins.
Maybe OOT  due to my OS - but I had a lot of trouble with the orginal NIK collection and PS - on win 7 64bit, though. After I had contacted Google and they provided me with a download for free, everything runs fine. I don't know if you got the filters after Google had absorbed NIK. Otherwise it might be a good idea to try a newer download.

Regards

Wolfgang

4 posts |