Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Robert on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
For those with Dell computers, be aware that there currently are scammers impersonating Dell who are calling Dell computer owners. They have people's names, phone #'s, and Express Service Tag #'s of their PC. BUT they are NOT from Dell. They will say that your computer has reported back to Dell that it's having numerous errors recently and they want to have access to your computer (red flag!) to check it out. I didn't fall for this, hung up and called Dell to confirm.
So, don't in a tired moment fall for it. The real Dell customer service is aware of this scam and will show no service request contact to you as they did confirm with me. If it's legit, they will have a Dell service request number that you will also show in an email from service that you requested. If in doubt, hang up and call Dell customer service.
I'm not sure how they got all the personal info and neither is Dell at this point, maybe hacked into Dell, or maybe unscrupulous Dell employee?

I forgot to mention, the scammers are also spoofing a Dell customer phone number on your phone's caller ID: 800-624-9896. That is a legit Dell phone number, but the call didn't come from Dell.

by signgrap on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:04 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
There is also a current scam where someone calls claiming they're from Microsoft, says that your computer has sent Microsoft error reports, and he's here to help. Just hang up and save yourself some grief. We've gotten 2 calls like this in the last couple of months. 
Dick Ludwig

by WDCarrier on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
I say, catch them and cut off their fingers!
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Littlefield on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm
Littlefield
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:There is also a current scam where someone calls claiming they're from Microsoft, says that your computer has sent Microsoft error reports, and he's here to help. Just hang up and save yourself some grief. We've gotten 2 calls like this in the last couple of months. 

Yea, I got that one too and I kept him on line messing with him. LOL
Don

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:20 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Well if the scammers have the service tag info as well as other personal info my guess is they were able to hack into Dell or a Dell subcontractor to get that info. Going at the pace were going it won't be long before absolutely no computer or mobile devise is safe -- even a little safe.

Sadly, more and more companies expect to have access to every thing you do and with that comes even greater risk. Orwell would have shot himself!

Brian

by George DeCamp on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:36 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Littlefield wrote:
signgrap wrote:There is also a current scam where someone calls claiming they're from Microsoft, says that your computer has sent Microsoft error reports, and he's here to help. Just hang up and save yourself some grief. We've gotten 2 calls like this in the last couple of months. 

Yea, I got that one too and I kept him on line messing with him. LOL
Don
I did the same thing! I kept putting the phone down and saying please hold on. Waited a few min and did it all over again and again. Finally I guess he got pissed off and hung up! LOL

by Robert on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:09 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Brian Stirling wrote:Well if the scammers have the service tag info as well as other personal info my guess is they were able to hack into Dell or a Dell subcontractor to get that info.  Going at the pace were going it won't be long before absolutely no computer or mobile devise is safe -- even a little safe.

Brian

The caller also had the accent of someone from India as well, in addition to the Dell customer service phone # showing up in my caller ID. Most (if not all) Dell customer service is out of India these days. They were playing the part and no doubt have fooled some.
String them up by their shorthairs, I say.

7 posts |