Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by ChrisRoss on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:20 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
HI all.  I have a problem with Windows Explorer in that it never remembers the screen layout, so when I open it up it defaults to a large preview pane and the file names and other info in the details pane are covered and I have to resize it to see the files.  This is in Win7.  Also it suffers from the green ribbon of death when I open up large image folders.

Googling around gives a variety ideas, many of them contradictory none of which seem to work, though I have not tried the registry changes that some suggest.  Some suggest it is due to the registry running out of room, due to a large number of folders though it is still doing it after a fresh Win7 install.

Has anybody who experienced this actually fixed it?  If not does anyone have good experiences to report from explorer substitutes. I've come across a few alternatives, but not sure if I want to take that step or not.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Gary Briney on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:42 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Chris,

Try FireFox. By the way, which version of IE are you using?

Gary
G. Briney

by ChrisRoss on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
No not IE, ;  Windows Explorer, the file finding thing

(I actually already use Firefox)
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by ronzie on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:37 am
ronzie
Forum Contributor
I had it W98 and still have it in XP. There was an article on it in PC Magazine a long time ago. It was referred to as Windows amnesia.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1420796,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1951109,00.asp

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gary Briney wrote:Chris,

Try FireFox. By the way, which version of IE are you using?

Gary
He is talking about the file viewer - aka Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. ;)

Chris,

It is weird, sometimes it will remember everything for some time and then all of the sudden, the layout is very different.  Also sometimes it remembers a custom layout for a specific folder and then all of the sudden not.  I haven't found an answer and will say that OS-X isn't much better in this regard.

by Phil Shaw on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I use Directory Opus by GP Software - an Aussie company. I've used it for about 5 years now and it is much better and more powerful than Explorer. I think they have a 60 day trial period.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Gary Briney on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote: He is talking about the file viewer - aka Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. ;)
Yep, he pointed that out already. ;)
ChrisRoss wrote:No not IE, ;  Windows Explorer, the file finding thing

(I actually already use Firefox)
G. Briney

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The site went down right as I wrote that and there wasn't a reply, it then later posted after the site was back up and others had already commented.

by Gary Briney on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:38 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:The site went down right as I wrote that and there wasn't a reply, it then later posted after the site was back up and others had already commented.
Ah -- another mystery solved. :) These days when I hear the word explorer, my first reflex is to say get FF. ;)
G. Briney

by ronzie on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
Regarding the articles from PCMag un checking my XP SP3 I found ALL of those definitions. I deleted the sub-variables and raised the prime definition BAGMRU Size to 6000 in both shell folders. I went back to check and found both subfolders BAGMRU and Bags recreated in both SHELL folders so I suppose the deletion of the sub-folders was just to get rid of them to be reinitialized with the new BAGMRU Size value.

10 posts |