Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:37 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Somehow in the process of setting up my new computer and migrating files I lost Windows which was installed into Parallels. No big deal, since I have the disk. Unfortunately, the activation code is not printed on the box it came in - I think it was printed on some credit card shaped piece of cardboard and I have no idea where that ended up - so I can't get past the first steps of the installation process.

Is there a way to retrieve a lost activation code from Microsoft?
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You need to call them.

by Jens Peermann on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:11 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I got the number and will call, but it's not as urgent anymore. I found the "lost" folder containing windows.

Somehow the migration process had moved that folder from the Applications Folder to the Documents Folder, which broke the link between Parallels and Windows. I found it during document pruning, moved it back to the Applications folder and started Windows by double clicking on the windows.app file, which re-established the link to Parallels. Now I can start it up from the Parallels icon in the Dock again.

I still will have to get the code, though, in case I want to upgrade to the free Windows 10 and will be asked for the Windows 8 code in the process.

I also find it interesting that the migration process shuffles things around.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

3 posts |