Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by rwhitaker on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:30 pm
rwhitaker
Forum Contributor
LR the program is on "C", I import photos to "G" drive, and back-up LR cat to "W" drive. "G" drive died. What is best way to reestablish LR cat on "G"?

I know I can't copy folder to "G" and have LR recognize it. I tried restoring files from Norton 360 system back-up which restored only jpg images? I "copy to DNG" when importing photos. Do not "Copy to second drive" on import, I only keep 20-30% and back-up LR after processing.

When you back-up LR, are you only backing up meta data changes made during processing? The original images are in separate folders stored along with LR cat?

I have Scott Kelly's book on LR but form a clear picture (no pun) of what all is going on with LR catalog management.

Thanks in advance

by aolander on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:28 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
LR only backs up the Catalog. It does not back up images in the Catalog, it only references where your images are kept. If your images were only on "G" and you have no back-up of those images, you're out of luck. You may have LR Previews of some images (jpegs), but not the original.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by rwhitaker on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:14 pm
rwhitaker
Forum Contributor
OK, thanks. I'm still not getting the workflow of managing the actual images. You import, select, edit, and save in LR but that only affects the LR cat, is that correct? In the LR catalog file I have a LR5.7 lrcat file along with folders of each years images (I use dates not events)and subfolders of each days shoot. These are just previews used in Lightroom? Am I correct that when you "delete from disc" in LR you are deleting originals from wherever they are being kept in a separate file of its own.

If you on import check "make a Second copy to", will these be managed by LR? Will this be the location of your originals which need to be backed-up separately?

Sorry for so many questions Thanks again

by aolander on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:54 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
If you Import from a card, for example, you will have chosen a destination folder for your images (was that on the"G" drive?).  That is the folder(s) you must backup yourself.  I'm not sure why you have folders of your images in the Catalog folder.  The Catalog would usually have the Catalog, a folder named Previews.lrdata, and a folder named "Backups" (which is just the Catalog backups, not your images).  In the "Backups" folder, you will have a folder for each time you had LR do a backup and you can delete past backups keeping a few of the most recent.

You are correct about "delete from disc".

The "2nd copy" option places a  2nd copy of your images in folders in a folder, again of your choosing, upon Import.  Those folders are named with the dates of Import.  There is no other organization in that case.  LR does not keep track of these.  LR only keeps track of where your images are, stores all the edits, etc., and stores previews.

Perhaps this tutorial will help:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangel ... ur-images/
Alan Olander
Minnesota

4 posts |