Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 46 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Could the artifacts be from too much in camera sharpening or is the computer program applying too mush sharpening?
I use Automate tool under File in in CS6 and it works really well with no artifacts.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Joel Eade wrote:A few "quick tips"

1. subject does have to be essentially motionless for best detail....that may require going indoors
2. you will want a focusing rail because it works better to move the camera and lens as a unit for each shot rather than turning the focusing ring
3. you will want a macro flash or some other additional light usually
4. you will want to shoot relatively wide open so each image has a narrow d.o.f.
5. photoshop works pretty well with stacking up to about 20 images
6. Zerene Stacker will do hundreds.

got that.....good basic advice

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Could the artifacts be from too much in camera sharpening or is the computer program applying too mush sharpening?
I use Automate tool under File in in CS6 and it works really well with no artifacts.

Could be Larry...you are probably right.  Have not yet tried it again.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:27 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Craig Browne wrote:Ive photographed bee's in flight on continues burst and have been able to stack a few photos, I also like to focus with the lens, sometimes taking more photos of the area of most interest to me. I never use flash outdoors anymore only like natural light. I like to use f 5.6 or 7.1 the sweet spot of the lens

Interesting!  This sounds like advanced stacking advice :)

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
dissent wrote:Another person who has a bunch of fine stacks of live subjects, in the field (often shot in that beautiful very early morning light), is John Hallmén.

edit - https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallm ... 768541820/

This guy's work is fantastic!

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Craig Browne wrote:Yes he is quit the character,    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Erlewine
I was trying to find if he talks about photo-stacking non-frozen or dead bugs but having a hard time looking for it.
Well, you have brought up a good point I think:

We all have our opinions and I sure have mine.  I think it is not ethical to buy insects on the internet just to photograph them.  I mean, if the photographer is stack-photographing them, he/she probably does have to freeze them….or at least cool them way down.  

And then, what does the photographer do with them after the shoot?

After this original discussion, I did find some sites that sell insects ONLINE.   This is a way to spread exotic insects onto places they can cause havoc.  So, for several reasons…...I do not think I like businesses that sell bugs online. 

We really do need to question such things.  In the U.S., I believe it is the USDA and the USFWS that are responsible for regulating this traffic.  I wonder if they are doing their jobs regarding this.

Robert King.   

46 posts |