« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by 1234 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am
Forum Contributor
Hello everyone! 
 I'm planning a trip to canada in the first week of October. Does anyone know where the best spots would be to photographing landscapes would be at this time of year? I'm mostly concerned about landscapes and not wildlife too much. I am visiting from Hawaii so I'm very excited to see the mountains and lakes! 

by scubastu on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 am
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Might help if you tell us where in Canada you're going. It's kind of a big place. ;-)

S
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Canada is the second largest landmass country in the world so narrowing down the regions that you think you might want to visit first would help a lot. ;) :D

That said, it is a great time of year to visit the Canadian Rockies along the Alberta/BC border and the 5 national parks in that region.  Landscapes are everywhere and there is a good abundance of wildlife, especially as you get farther north.

by 1234 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:29 pm
Forum Contributor
Sorry guys!! Hahaa!! I'm thinking near banff area. 

by Andrew Kandel on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:47 pm
Andrew Kandel
Forum Contributor
Darwin Wiggett's How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies is a great resource. Not sure if it is still in print or can be bought on Amazon, but he has e-books that can be bought from here.

http://www.darwinwiggett.com/ebooks/
[url=http://www.andrewkandel.com/]Website[/url] - [url=http://wherebuffaloroam.wordpress.com/]Blog[/url] - [url=https://plus.google.com/112207995176022333771/posts]Google+[/url]

by Kerry on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
The first week in October is probably slightly on the late side for the best fall color in the Banff area (aspen and larch), but there are countless landscape opportunities in the area nonetheless.  I second the recommendation for Darwin Wiggett's ebooks.  I'd minimally recommend the ones on Banff NP, Yoho NP and the Icefields Parkway and would consider those for the Kootenay Plains and Jasper NP if you're willing to go farther afield.

Last edited by Kerry on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:11 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Darwin Wiggett's ebooks are the way to go. If you have only a week, I'd pick an area based on his ebook. Just got back after 3 weeks in that area and his books are a great help.

by 1234 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:40 pm
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much everyone!! I will buy an book tonight!!

by 1234 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am
Forum Contributor
Hey guys, what about the whistler/British Columbia area?

by DMcLarty on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:23 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
1234 wrote:Hey guys, what about the whistler/British Columbia area?

HI Hubert
Whistler is in the coastal mountains just north east of Vancouver about 1 hour. The coastal mountains are not the high rock face types like the Banff /Jasper areas. they are more rounded and forested. Whistler best known for it's ski resort areas.

If you land in Vancouver from Hi you will have the option to drive to Banff area or fly to Calgary then drive out to Banff. The drive from Van to Banff can be a 8-10 hour non stop drive and all you will see are cars zooming past you, trucks up your wazoo, trees, pavement and gas stations or an alternate route of 5 days to make a real trip through the Okanogan valley and up through the sea to sky hwy 3 route. :) 

Calgary airport to Banff is approx. 2-3 hour drive on a good day.

Once in Banff you can spend time touring  around the immediate area good for a couple days and/or travel the Ice Field Parkway north up to Jasper. The Parkway takes you through the heart of the mountains highs and lows. Study Darwin's guides for some of the best spots but take your time and plan some of the trail hikes along the way.  You could spend a week just travelling the Parkway. Jasper is worth two or three days as well or more if wildlife is in your interests. Mountainscapes, lakes, rivers and lots of waterfalls and I know that  Hawaiians love their waterfalls. :wink:

October will be great for sunrise and sunsets about 12 hours of daylight by then, lots of soft light to work with.  You will have to be setup ready to go for sunrise sunsets and once the sun gets behind a mountain it is gone fast.  The skies are usually clearer with the cooler temperatures and you could even get some fresh snow on the peaks.  Dark skies away from Banff town site at night could be good as well as you can capture star trails, milky way, moon light mountains and even Aurora.

doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

Last edited by DMcLarty on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by 1234 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:32 am
Forum Contributor
High Doug
Thank you so very much for the reply! I am so greatly appreciative!!
I will be spending about 7 days in whistler/ bc area with my wife and inlaws. I will have about 4-5 days after that to go anywhere else. I am so terrible with planning a trip and how much time to spend in areas. Your reply helps greatly!!

by DMcLarty on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:35 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
if located in and around Whistler  you can look at trips into Garibaldi Park, the Park has some great hiking areas but you need to be prepared for cooler wet weather and terrain.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... /#Location

the highway from Vancouver to Whistler although is made for the heavy/busy traffic could be great for west coast scenery.

have a great visit
d
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

12 posts |