All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by DOglesby on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I'm heading to Mammoth Lakes in a couple days and was hoping a fellow Naturescapes member/contributor has suggestions for nice photo locations.  I've never been there before. 

FYI - I'm already planning a day trip to Mono and Bodie (been to Mono a few times and looking forward to going back; never been to Bodie). I'm specifically looking for thoughts right around Mammoth.  Thanks!
Cheers,
Doug

by Wade Thorson on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:39 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Luck duck. Let's see... there's Devil's Postpile NM, Rainbow falls, the Miaret overlook by the entrance to Devil's postpile, of course all the lakes in Mammoth Lakes. There's the John Muir trail and the Pacific crest trail (permit required for backpacking) My favorite day hike is to Duck Lake, with three lakes to visit before that. Virginia Lakes is also great with seven lakes in 2.5 miles, which is near Bodie. There's Hot Creek, and the fish hatchery. Never mind all the natural hot springs. Turn at the green church by the airport, and continue down to the 2nd cattle guard turn right and go a mile on the dirt road for a great, but popular hot spring. Can't miss June Lake loop either. If you make it to Bishop, there's the Galen Rowell gallery...on and on.. phew...
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by signgrap on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:58 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I was there in the 70's - the Devil's Post Pile sticks in my mind as a unique and beautiful place.
Dick Ludwig

by DOglesby on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:49 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Thank you both. I definitely plan to go to Devils Postpile and Rainbow Falls. And, thanks for all the great ideas, Wade. The place I'm looking most forward to is Bodie. I've done the June Lake Loop before but my wife and kid haven't seen it so I will do that with them too. Man the Sierra's is such a great place to be!
Cheers,
Doug

by Gib Robinson on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 am
Gib Robinson
Forum Contributor
Depends on how far you want to hike. Devil's Postpile is the entrance to what I consider the most spectacular (and accessible) country in the Sierras -- the area below the Minarets including Lake Ediza, Minaret Lake, Iceberg Lake, mts Ritter (13,150') & Banner. If you web search you can find ample photos. It's incredible high country -- high-altitude hiking (not for the faint of heart -- quite literally) but stunning.

by DOglesby on Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:32 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Thanks, Gib. I'm here now. Unfortunately I can't do hiking like that with my family but that sounds awesome.
Cheers,
Doug

by Steve Cirone on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:15 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Just up there in summer of 1970.  I had a motocross track all to myself.  Rode a street legal enduro 125 cc Honda 4 stroke.  I bet the track is long gone.  My dad got a shot of me with his Polaroid B&W instant print camera.
Fun to digitize oldies but goodies prints.

Guess what, a google search reveals the track still gets one event a year:  http://www.mammothmotocross.com/

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by DOglesby on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
LOL, Steve! And, that's a great picture!
Cheers,
Doug

8 posts |