Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Does someone here have information about current conditions in Bryce Canyon? It's website doesn't have any, like those of other parks do.

I'm thinking about spending a day or two over the New Year's weekend, but would really like to have some snow around. Without it I'd rather focus on other areas.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here's a webcam near Bryce, looks like it has a dusting.
http://www.alltravelcams.com/bryce_cany ... onal_park/

by Jens Peermann on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:47 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I got to keep an eye on that camera. Quite frankly, it's rather disappointing right now. I had expected at least a little bit more after all the moisture that came through the Sierra during the last two weeks. Obviously it didn't make it much farther east.

The forecast promises some snow for Christmas day. Hopefully that will spruce things up a little bit.

by amullis on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:12 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
Dress warmly! It can get rather chilly at Bryce standing behind a tripod at sunrise, exposed to the winds.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yup, it's around 9000 feet above see level with little to no protection from high altitude winds.

by Stephen Feingold on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:58 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
e.j.:  'it's around 9000 feet above see level'

Is 9000 feet to high to see?  :)

by Kerry on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
amullis wrote:Dress warmly! It can get rather chilly at Bryce standing behind a tripod at sunrise, exposed to the winds.
Truer words have never been spoken.  I was there in mid-May a couple of years ago, and shot on the rim at dawn on three consecutive days.  Average temperature on those three days at daybreak was 24 F (the warmest was a "balmy" 28) and with a wind blowing directly in my face it felt colder. 

by Jens Peermann on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:39 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
amullis wrote:Dress warmly! It can get rather chilly at Bryce standing behind a tripod at sunrise, exposed to the winds.
I am no stranger to Bryce Canyon in winter and the temperatures are factored into my preparation. What I am concerned about more than cold are proper boots that will not slip on icy trails next to the cliff. That happened to me some ten years ago and just thinking about it still scares me.

The weather camera shows some traces of snow. A bit underwhelming, but that might just be right to accent the texture of the sandstones. Besides, there's more in the forecast for Thursday, the day I expect to be there (Zion is supposed to get some too).

by Stephen Feingold on Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:34 pm
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
You might consider using Microspikes or another brand of slip-on spikes.

by Dave Pluimer on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:15 am
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
I just read a report that calls for 6-12" to the south and east of Cedar City starting mid-week.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yup, major storm with plenty of snow moving through the inter-mountain west from Tuesday night through Thursday.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Looks indeed like it's going to be interesting. There is a big temptation to be there and capture dramatic images. There's also a certain desire to be safe.

I am planning to leave here around 1 am on Wednesday. I'll keep an eye on the forecast and if it gets too bad pick an alternate destination; Oregon Coast is supposed to be sunny later this week (the nice thing about living in Carson City, NV, is that you have those options because it's relatively close to almost everywhere here in the West).

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:47 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you don't take a chance, think of the great shots you'll miss!!! Great shots carry a price!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:34 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:If you don't take a chance, think of the great shots you'll miss!!! Great shots carry a price!

Joe
True, great shots are to die for... :mrgreen:

But seriously, I want to take a shot of the first sunrise of the year. It's something I did for the past two years, albeit by accident, not realizing until later that this sunrise I just captured is the first light of the year.

So for this year I had been consciously planning to take the first light, and I just can't think of a better location than Bryce Canyon with some snow. If, however, it's dumping on Thursday morning there will not be much sun, if any at all.

The Oregon Coast is not famous for sunrises; I know that. It just faces the wrong way. But this time of the year the sun rises about 30º below due west and some stretches of the coast - around Brookings and again near Port Orford - run in a northwest to southeast direction. I'm sure something nice can be captured there.

So I will keep monitoring the NOAA site and most likely will make the final decision when I hop in the car on Wednesday morning.

by Jens Peermann on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:58 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Another twist in this developing itinerary. NOAA forecasts a 70% chance of snow in Valley of Fire for Wednesday. This is just too good to be true, but I will go for it. Thursday's chance drops to 20%, which I see as an 80% chance to get the sunrise I want.
Friday and Saturday are forecast to be sunny in Zion and Bryce. Perfect!
(Funny, as I'm typing this a snow plow goes about its business on the street in front of my house)

15 posts |