« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
No Bohemian waxwings but expect to see redpolls again.  And some Pine Grosbeaks too.  Hope to have broken in my new 7D MK2 by then :-)

http://www.jeaniron.ca/2014/forecast14.htm

by OntPhoto on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Pine Siskins are already on the move. It has been several years since I saw a movement in our area. Great Gray owls are being photographed in Algonquin Park. No, there is no movement of these owls as they stick to a predictable 4 year cycle. But the park has a small breeding population of these owls. I had known about this particular owl for some time now but kept it quiet. But I think knowledge about it is widely known now. To find out the location, just call the Park's Visitor Centre and ask to speak with one of the naturalists that work there. Mizzy lake Trail at the wood bridge / West Rose Lake. If you run into a couple of photographers who pretend to know nothing, ignore them as they are in the minority.  Go check for yourself.  I know more owls than they ever will.  :-)  Good moose sightings too. I saw 2 foxes up there as well.  Of course the very tame gray jays readily come for handouts.

Speaking of moose, one huge cow moose stopped me in my tracks. Heading back to my car I suddenly heard a loud thud as the moose trotted onto the trail 30 feet in front of me. First thought that ran through my mind was, I may have to make it back to the car in the dark. It was already dusk and if I had to wait it out, dark it would have to be. Then I may have to deal with wolves. The moose's back was turned to me. Naturally I took out my FZ200 and took a photo. The photo below does not show how big it is because there is nothing in the photo to compare it to. It towered over me, these things are huge especially up close.  I had to get the moose's attention and hopefully get it off the trail or I could be there for awhile. So I made some owl like calls. It immediately turned its head to see what the heck it was. All kinds of things ran through my mind. It could charge.  A bull could show up. Any other time I would welcome seeing a bull but not at nightfall getting back to the car.  And it's rut season too.  A young calf could be just out of sight. The mother could be really aggressive then.

However, I remained calm the whole time which I always do.  Panic does nothing.  I learned this on my long distance bicycle trips. If I get a flat tire or broken spoke in the middle of nowhere, panicking will not help to get it fixed any sooner.  Be calm.  Get it fixed.  Do it right the first time.  But I was fully alert. I was not going to try and walk past it.  Best way to get attacked. After we eyed each other for the longest time, it finally trotted back off the trail.  Someone was looking after me from above..  I kept an eye back the first hundred yards:-)

by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Finally posted a photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38402205% ... otostream/

3 posts |