All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Yves Guillot on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:11 pm
Yves Guillot
Forum Contributor
Hi again!

I am also planning a trip to Haines, Alaska in November 2016 to photograph the bald eagles.

I think I might get to Whitehorse, first, rent a car there and get to Haines via the highway.  Any place where to stay to suggest? any location not to miss?

if you have been there, please share some useful information to make this trip a success for great bald eagles photography.

Thanks a lot for your help!
With Light, life takes a whole new color!
http://www.yvesguillot.com

by Larry Shuman on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I was in Haines twice for eagles. That was 1996 and 2002. In 2002 I shot 95 rolls of film in two weeks.
There is only 1 road into and out of Haines and the Eagle Preserve is on that road. You can pull off
many places and shoot. I used a 600mmF:4 in 1996 and a 800mmF:5.6AF in 2002. You should really be in those sizes
to get the very best shots. Also I went both times in middle 2 weeks in November. That should include eagle festival.

Cheers
Larry

by jackbayles on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:08 pm
jackbayles
Forum Contributor
Hi Yves,
We just got back from two weeks there. The best place to stay in Haines is the Lynn View Lodge. The other place would be the Aspen Suites. Both the Captain's Choice and Eagle's Nest looked really run down. Folks we talked to who were staying at CC and EN confirmed that. That said, the bald eagle viewing/photographing is down significantly the last two years. We left on Nov. 17 and the Chilkat was nowhere near frozen. If I were going for bald eagles congregating again I think I would look at British Columbia's Fraser Valley (Chilliwack). What we saw in Haines wasn't bad, but certainly not in the thousands as in year's past. I used my 200-400 f/4 1.4x on a 7D MkII and was happy with my results.

by Yves Guillot on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm
Yves Guillot
Forum Contributor
Hi Jack!

Thank you VERY much for this invaluable information regarding Haines : its hôtels as well as the bald eagles viewing.

On my side, I have been going for three years now to Sheffield Mills, Nova Scotia where a few hundreds of bald eagle are being fed during winter.

I might reconsider going to Haines in november 2016 considering what you said.  Maybe december will be better?  Will you post a few pictures taken during your recent stay there?  If so, please let me know!

Thank you again!

by Larry Shuman on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:25 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I'm told that the Chilkat does not freeze because its is warm. It get's feed upstream by hot water. If the chum salmon had  lower run numbers the would effect eagle numbers. Possible  global warming issue maybe.

by Tim Grams on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:48 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
I was in Haines for eagles from Nov 15th to the 20th. It was my first trip there specifically to shoot eagle. Other photographers who had been there numerous time before said that it was a decidedly below average year. When I first got there and saw what was the main shooting spot, I could tell from the way the river flowed that few fish would be washed up close to the photographers. Most were being washed up or caught on the far side of the river which is too far for good shots even with a 600 + 1.4 TC. One local told me that the river course had changed and few dead salmon were being washed up close to the main photo area, which confirmed what I expected. In 5 days of shooting only a few salmon were eaten close to the most used photo area. There were plenty of opportunities for in flight shots as a number of eagles roosted in the trees above the spot most popular with photographers.

I stayed at the Swan View Bed and Breakfast on Mosquito Lake. Its north of the eagle preserve about 5 miles, which saves quite a bit of driving. It has a small kitchen that was more than adequate for cooking meals. I only went into Haines once. There was no cell service but it did had internet access via WiFi. Its a decent place to stay- I would stay there again. At the main photo area, some people had cell service others did not.

The owner of the B+B, also a photographer, told me that later is better. Probably fewer birds, but the river has a lower volume of water and there will likely be more ice covering parts of it so the remaining birds are more likely to be concentrated. Also fewer people (photographers) will be around.

You're dealing with wildlife- not every year is going to be an above average year.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Yves Guillot on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 pm
Yves Guillot
Forum Contributor
Hi Mr. Grams, 

Thanks so much for all your info. It is VERY appreciated!

Your place to stay sounds as a good idea, less driving to do.
What about thé weather? Was it cold? Minus 10 celsius or minus 20?

You were dressed as in midfebruary? I live in Québec Canada.

If you post some shots somewhere PLEASE let me know!
Thanks again!

by Tim Grams on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:10 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
The lowest temp was around 10 F or -12 C. Many of the people in the photo tour groups had inadequate foot wear. Quite a few had on hiking boots, which just don't work for standing around for hours in cold conditions. Cold hands were the other common problem.

I've posted three pics on my Facebook page, Tim Grams Photography.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Yves Guillot on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:30 pm
Yves Guillot
Forum Contributor
Thanks for these infos. I saw your pictures on Facebook : they are cool shots! What was the gear you used for thses shots? 600 mm F4 or something else?

thanks again!

9 posts |