Female Domestic Huntsman spider


Posted by Darren5907 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Image
At night, the female Huntsman spider , recognised by  a distinctive white band across their faces, come out to hunt for cockroaches.Managed to take some portraits of that "face" when I spotted one resting on a leaf.

1/200, f16, 90D, 180Canon, ETTL -2/3, handhold, manual focussing but with some assistive light from the flash, cropped tighter.

A face only a mother can love? Hope its interesting and comments welcomed.


IMG_5283-1280pix by Darren, on Flickr

User avatar
Posted by:
Darren5907
Forum Contributor
Location: Singapore
Member #:01854
Posts: 5589
Joined: 2 Feb 2008

   

by Tom Whelan on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:36 pm
User avatar
Tom Whelan
Moderator
Posts: 30179
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Member #:00293
Fine capture of the face and eyes - I think it's spider week!
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)
 

by david fletcher on Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:33 am
User avatar
david fletcher
Moderator
Posts: 34686
Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Location: UK
Member #:00525
Tom Whelan wrote: Fine capture of the face and eyes - I think it's spider week!

Wow.  some close up Darren!
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525
 

by Carol Clarke on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:51 am
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 73500
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Lincolnshire, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
Tom Whelan wrote: Fine capture of the face and eyes - I think it's spider week!
Yes, unfortunately for us weaker mortals, it is turning into spider week! :wink: 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

by John Labrenz on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:53 pm
User avatar
John Labrenz
Moderator
Posts: 17163
Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Member #:01304
good focus...scary spider!
I thought Carol would like this...lol
 

by Darren5907 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:08 am
User avatar
Darren5907
Forum Contributor
Posts: 5589
Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Member #:01854
Thanks all. Spiders could look scary close up. Would love to have the old naturescapes motif theme back. ....so we could have spider week, butterfly week, floral week, etc...
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:37 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 20633
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Darren5907 wrote: Thanks all. Spiders could look scary close up. Would love to have the old naturescapes motif theme back. ....so we could have spider week, butterfly week, floral week, etc...
Agree Darren. It was fun to have a theme. This spider is pretty scary up close. Great focus on those eyes. I wonder what they can see-have read something about how different creatures see very differently than we do.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb
 

by Darren5907 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:05 am
User avatar
Darren5907
Forum Contributor
Posts: 5589
Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Member #:01854
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Darren5907 wrote: Thanks all. Spiders could look scary close up. Would love to have the old naturescapes motif theme back. ....so we could have spider week, butterfly week, floral week, etc...
Agree Darren. It was fun to have a theme. This spider is pretty scary up close. Great focus on those eyes. I wonder what they can see-have read something about how different creatures see very differently than we do.
Spider anatomy and function is a field of study by itself....have seen
books like these....but was afraid contents are beyond my comprehension....

Hope motif will make a comeback.....

Thanks Cynthia. I will freak out if this spider appears in my house.

You can see a full body view at my Flickr site @Darren5907.

Cheers...
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
8 posts | 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group