Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by Swissblad on Wed May 10, 2023 7:12 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
After much speculation, here it is - the Nikon Z8.

Nikon seems to be following the D3 / D700 route.

Informative presentation by Ricci on Youtube.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed May 10, 2023 10:04 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildlife and nature video on Nikon right now. Watched it and seems to be a miniature z9. Of course, it got high praises like all product intros put out by the manufacturer.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think this is a good move by Nikon - a Z9 like camera in a smaller size - similar to what the D700 was in relationship to the big bulky D3.  It also could be seen as the true mirror less D850.  If I were still in the Nikon ecosystem I’d be on the bandwagon for this camera.  It’s the first Nikon mirror less model that interests me.

by KK Hui on Wed May 10, 2023 5:30 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Good that Z8 is now out of the way ...
We can now look forward to a baby Z9 in APS-C format for birds photographers in the near future.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by SantaFeJoe on Wed May 10, 2023 7:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Looks like much better balance for the PF telephoto lenses than the z9.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Thu May 11, 2023 8:02 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I already have the Z9 so right now I have no need for the Z8. As a lover of my D850, I agree with what EJ said about the Z8. If I were a Nikon fan looking for a mirrorless body, I would be getting a Z8.

There is one feature with its battery pack that could interest some users. It holds two batteries (you lose the one in the camera). But it can be used to charge those two batteries even if the battery pack is not attached to the camera. That could be a big plus to some. One negative for the new battery pack (attached to the Z8) is that it makes the Z8 slightly bigger than the Z9. And its "fit" looks a little sloppy to me.

One big question I would have is how the one battery in the Z8 will perform during a full day's shoot. Based upon my experience with the Z9's more capable battery, I think you will be lucky to get through one day with just one battery for bird/wildlife shooting.

If you are a Z9 shooter with a bunch of Z mount lenses, the Z8 would make for an excellent companion/backup camera.
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Thu May 11, 2023 9:13 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I was holding off on ordering the z9 to see what this announcement was going to be. Now I can see the z9 fits my needs better. The smaller battery works well in the D850, but I like the bigger battery of the z9 over the en el 15c. I think the z8 will be a great camera for many people, though.

Joe

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

by bobsmith on Fri May 12, 2023 12:06 pm
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
I ordered my Z8… I needed a 2nd body and the similarities of the Z8 controls to the Z9 made it an easy choice, along with the lower price tag.

by Karl Egressy on Sun May 14, 2023 5:51 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I'm wondering if it would work well, focus fast enough for BIF if I put a Nikon 500 f5.6 PF lens on it with an adapter.

by photoman4343 on Mon May 15, 2023 8:35 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Karl, I use my Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf lens all the time on my Z9 with my FTZII adapter. I have no issues at all with focusing for BIF. And the image quality is very good. Since the AF system in the Z8 is the same as the Z9, I would expect the same results with the Z8. Understanding the AF settings and picking the best one requires some study and practice.

Sometimes I add the 1.4x TC III if there is enough light. When the TC gets added, you have three things attached to the Z9 or Z8. That is not ideal unless you are in a somewhat controlled situation.

I also use the Nikon 100-400mm S lens on my Z9 for BIF. It works very well too, both with and without the Z mount 1.4x tc.

Some are using the Nikon 400mm f4.5 S lens too.

I would be interested to see Nancy Elwood's views on this topic.
Joe Smith

by Karl Egressy on Tue May 16, 2023 1:31 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote: Karl, I use my Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf lens all the time on my Z9 with my FTZII adapter.  I have no issues at all with focusing for BIF. And the image quality is very good. Since the AF system in the Z8 is the same as the Z9, I would expect the same results with the Z8. Understanding the AF settings and picking the best one requires some study and practice. 

Sometimes I add the 1.4x TC III if there is enough light. When the TC gets added, you have three things attached to the Z9 or Z8. That is not ideal unless you are in a somewhat controlled situation.

I also use the Nikon 100-400mm S lens on my Z9 for BIF. It works very well too, both with and without the Z mount 1.4x tc.

Thanks for the info Joe, it is encouraging.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Good in the field write up on the Z8
https://photographylife.com/nikon-z8-fi ... van-oosten

by Karl Egressy on Thu May 18, 2023 5:45 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: Good in the field write up on the Z8
https://photographylife.com/nikon-z8-fi ... van-oosten
Thanks for the link. It looks like Z8 is a good camera.

by flygirl on Tue May 23, 2023 10:49 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
photoman4343 wrote: Karl, I use my Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf lens all the time on my Z9 with my FTZII adapter.  I have no issues at all with focusing for BIF. And the image quality is very good. Since the AF system in the Z8 is the same as the Z9, I would expect the same results with the Z8. Understanding the AF settings and picking the best one requires some study and practice. 

I think the Z8 would be a good backup, ie second body if you already have a Z9.  I also know people who just want a smaller lighter body.  I ended up getting a second Z9.  I am just not sure about that second slot being a SD card, a bottleneck for sure.  But, I suppose if you rarely go to the second card or depend on it as a backup such setting, that might not be an issue.  I use it mostly for my video and so an SD card definitely would not work well.  I also prefer having one kind of battery, instead of two charging types, etc.  I still use my 500 PF quite a bit and just get such great results, I really do not feel the need to give it up for even the S 400 f/45. I am sure it will work equally as well on the Z8. I would end up using the 400 with a TC on it most of the time, so yes, I would not need the adapter, but then I am at f/6.3.  I will wait and see how Nikon's 200-600 lens works as far as weight, and AF.  If it is like the Nikon 200-500, I will not be interested.  I also use the Nikon 300 PF quite a bit, especially in Costa Rica, and love the f/4.  This is one of the images with the 500 PF and boy it is great for handholding and hiking at only 3 lbs. Taken at iso 20,000 and I did need the full 500mm.

by Karl Egressy on Wed May 24, 2023 12:57 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the information. Great image. I'm expecting to get my Z8 this week or next week. I should be among the first ones as I put down twenty percent of the price. I will use both Canon and Nikon systems and I have no problem with it even if one hangs on my left shoulder and the other on the right. I need it sometimes as I don't have good quality zoom lens for Nikon but have a couple for Canon.
My favorite lens is the Nikon 500 f 5.6 PF lens.
Thanks,
Karl.

by PullmanPhotographer on Thu May 25, 2023 8:03 am
PullmanPhotographer
Lifetime Member
Member #:02166
Hi, I ordered from B&H a few days after the announcement expecting that it might take 6 months or longer to receive one. I have no special status. Much to my surprise my Z8 was just shipped.
Dave Ostrom

by photoman4343 on Fri May 26, 2023 11:24 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Steve Perry's video on his AF Z8 and Z9 settings. If you might be color blind like me, pay attention to what he says about how changing colors may help you see things. My settings on my Z9:

A11 focus point display:
Manual—set to ON
Dynanmic area—set to ON
Afc—set to ON
3d-- set to white

Af 13 focus peaking. Color yellow
A15 manual focus ring in af mode. set to ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wxo10LQZUc
Joe Smith

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun May 28, 2023 4:37 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I received mine the other day. I have to admit I love the smaller form factor. I finally got out today with it and paired it with the 500PF; it is a great combination. I'm not sure about the two different cards, but I have a fast CF in it and a larger SD that is reasonably fast as a backup. I don't see using that SD slot except as emergency overflow. As far as I can tell, AF is like the Z9, but without the weight and is much easier to wield around on flying birds, but I didn't give it much of a workout today. I can see selling my Z9 shortly for a second Z8, though.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 28, 2023 8:24 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbarn said in a previous thread: “ One thing, the 500PF doesn’t balance well with the adapter and Z9, it puts the balance point to close to the camera. I might have to put a longer plate on the lens.”

How does the z8 feel with the adapter and 500 pf lens? I bet it’s much better.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun May 28, 2023 8:41 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
SantaFeJoe wrote: Scott Fairbarn said in a previous thread: “ One thing, the 500PF doesn’t balance well with the adapter and Z9, it puts the balance point to close to the camera. I might have to put a longer plate on the lens.”

How does the z8 feel with the adapter and 500 pf lens? I bet it’s much better.

Joe
It is far better. The weight was all on the camera end with the Z9, now it feels great. The camera is about the size of the D500. 

21 posts |