Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:32 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Yesterday I caught an injured female Evening grosbeak in my yard. I took her to the Vermont institute of Natural Science rehab. She has a pretty deep wound in her neck, but she's doing OK so far. She was banded -here is her info. I'm thinking someone from NSN lives in that area (Adirondacks, I think). 
Band # 1412-72765

HATCHED IN 2022
[font=sans-serif]NEAR INLET, HAMILTON COUNTY, NEW YORK, USA (COORDINATES:[/font]
[font=sans-serif]LAT: 43.71750; LON: -74.79111 )[/font]
Dr. GORDON E HOWARD
112 CEDARIDGE LN
SENECA SC 29672

[font=sans-serif]Map shows a line from there to our house, but the bander was in/from N.Carolina?  [/font]

[font=sans-serif]I guess I'll post her picture in Birds, since I can't put it here. [/font]
sorry about the editing...
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by OntPhoto on Sat May 27, 2023 9:55 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Just wondering, did the bird make it?  I ask because last summer I found an injured cedar waxwing on a trail here in Ottawa.  The bird showed no outward signs of injury.  I took it to a bird care centre.  Bird didn't make it due to internal injuries due to a possible collision or something.  In your case, it looks to actually show an external injury.  I was told these types of injury usually spell doom for the bird.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 28, 2023 6:20 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
OntPhoto wrote: Just wondering, did the bird make it?  I ask because last summer I found an injured cedar waxwing on a trail here in Ottawa.  The bird showed no outward signs of injury.  I took it to a bird care centre.  Bird didn't make it due to internal injuries due to a possible collision or something.  In your case, it looks to actually show an external injury.  I was told these types of injury usually spell doom for the bird.
Hi-thanks for asking.

My bird  healed from the wound but can't fly very well, so she now lives in a songbird aviary at Vermont Institute of Natural Science, where they rescue all kinds of birds. There are a lot of Raptors there. We have 2 other grosbeaks there now. Apparently they have been crashing into a wire fence, which is now brightly decorated! Glad she is alive. Don't yet know about the others.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by OntPhoto on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:17 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
OntPhoto wrote: Just wondering, did the bird make it?  I ask because last summer I found an injured cedar waxwing on a trail here in Ottawa.  The bird showed no outward signs of injury.  I took it to a bird care centre.  Bird didn't make it due to internal injuries due to a possible collision or something.  In your case, it looks to actually show an external injury.  I was told these types of injury usually spell doom for the bird.
Hi-thanks for asking.

My bird  healed from the wound but can't fly very well, so she now lives in a songbird aviary at Vermont Institute of Natural Science, where they rescue all kinds of birds. There are a lot of Raptors there. We have 2 other grosbeaks there now. Apparently they have been crashing into a wire fence, which is now brightly decorated! Glad she is alive. Don't yet know about the others.
Hmmmmm, interesting.  I suppose it comes down to internal injuries and some bird care centres will make a judgement call as to whether it is worth the effort or not.  My bird had no visible external injuries.  

4 posts |