Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Eia on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:12 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I am on Windows 10. An update for NIK software is available so I downloaded. However, when I tried to install the program Windows Defender said a Trojan threat was found so it would not allow the install. I found many others with same issues after searching internet. 

I contacted DXO and they said they worked it out with Microsoft. They sent a zip file for bat def. That is supposed to fix this. Unfortunately that hasn’t worked. 

I continue to get the NIK flash screen like it’s trying to install. I can get rid of it with the end processes but the flash screen continues to appear when I reboot the computer. I tried to uninstall NIK but Windows won’t allow that either. Seems communication has stopped with DXO.  :(

Wondering if if anyone has advice.

AnnaMaria
~AnnaMaria~

by DChan on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:08 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Have you tried turning off Microsoft Defender, update Nik then turn the Defender back on?

FWIW I use other security suites and none of them stopped my Nik update.

by Eia on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:30 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote: Have you tried turning off Microsoft Defender, update Nik then turn the Defender back on?

Thank You, yes I tried that and nothing. DXO replied and said its MS fault to try contacting them. I get the same message to download the bat file. Ping Pong right now. Meanwhile the only way I can get the silly DXO trying to download screen off is to rat chase in Task Manager to end processes. Every single time.
~AnnaMaria~

by DChan on Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:31 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote:
DChan wrote: Have you tried turning off Microsoft Defender, update Nik then turn the Defender back on?

Thank You, yes I tried that and nothing. DXO replied and said its MS fault to try contacting them. I get the same message to download the bat file. Ping Pong right now. Meanwhile the only way I can get the silly DXO trying to download screen off is to rat chase in Task Manager to end processes. Every single time.
I don't know anything about that bat file.

If it's Microsoft Defender that is stopping Nik from installing because it thinks Nik is a trojan horse, then I don't know why when Defender is off (which is like your machine has no Defender installed), it is still stopping Nik from being installed (assuming you did turn off Defender under Windows Security -> Virus & threat protection). I'd think when Defender is off, it is something else that is stopping Nik from installing.

I tend to agree with Nik,...it's Microsoft's fault :-) I mean, I updated NIk just fine and my Defender is off.

by Eia on Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:20 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
Well, after a lengthy back and forth chatting with Microsoft - the issue ‘seems’ resolved. Turning off Windows Defender (which I tired before) then restarting pc, and making sure WD is still turned off (it was not) and turning it off again, then deleting NIK entirely, rebooting, and download a fresh install from NIK…it finally worked. Our session timed out before I could ask if this would happen with every update.  :( Still doesn’t sound like a solution but…it is what it is. 
~AnnaMaria~

5 posts |