All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:01 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Has anyone tried the new lightroom Denoise AI?  I have been using Topaz DeNoise AI and recently Topaz Photo AI and while not perfect I like it a lot.  Tonight I read a review on how great the LR Denoise is so I thought I would give it a try.  Impression is that it took a LOOOOOOONG time to process the image.  Full frame R5 CR3 file took about 3-4 minutes on a pretty powerful computer. Noise reduction was excellent, but LR does not sharpen details like Topaz does. What is your experience?
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Danny Young on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:41 am
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
Member #:021857
Yes I've been reading about the same complaint with the time issue Ed. I find topaz excellent with both noise and sharpen modules in LR and it's pretty quick and that's with the 60-120mp shots. I'm wondering if Adobe is already looking at that since there's been a lot of complaints about it. I've not even tried for that reason. I'll wait and there are a few comparisons kicking around as well I see.

by Ed1946 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:22 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
I've been a LR Classic and Topaz user for a while and keep both up to date.  So my take on these post processing tools is that they are just tools.  Each version has shown me results that vary.  I attribute the various results no just the version of tool.  I will try both on certain photos and chose the results that pleases me. The processing effort depends on the photo.  I shoot landscapes and wildlife (Z9 and 100-400mm S lens currently).  So my conclusion is the processing times will vary depending on the size of the file, how much information (subject, background, etc) is in the RAW file (NEF), lens combo.  I also have reviewed the plethora of reports out there and while some are trying to just compare noise reduction only, to me, there is more than noise reduction. I'm not a pro so my photo capture is not "in camera perfect" therefore I rely on post processing tools to make photos I like. Others can like them or not. It matters not to me. I don't have to sell or impress others.  I find that I can use only LR clean up of noise  some of the time but also use Topaz Photo AI for others.  Like some of the pros will say the results depends on personal likes and skills.  My MacBook Pro is around 5 years old and speed and power is OK.  I will be looking to upgrade at some point in the near future and hoping processing speed results will improve. Just some of my thoughts.

3 posts |