All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:29 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
OK, I know some of us hate drones but some of us own and use drones -- just saying that up front.

I just saw the first video on the new Inspire 3 (from DJI).  It's a full frame 8K@75 with 4K@120 for video types.  For stills the sensor is 45MP with 14 stops DR.

Top speed of 94kph and a flight time of up to 28 minutes.  

Among the significant features is the ability to add a base station that permits cm accuracy which will be very useful for film makers as they can plan a shot, test it, then repeat with cm accuracy.

I'd guess a few hundred of them have already been reserved by the major film studios and by drone contract providers.  Price looks around $16.5K to start but once you add the additional lenses and secondary controls and spare batteries you're probably looking closer to $24K or more.

I have an DJI Mavic Air 2 and previously owned a Phantom 4 Pro and the original Inspire 1.  I don't see myself ordering the I3 anytime soon, a bit beyond my cash comfort zone, but figured I'd mention it here for the obvious reasons.

Brian

by DChan on Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:21 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
From the "dead" dpreview:

DJI announces the Inspire 3 with a 45MP full-frame camera

by Brian Stirling on Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:35 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Links dead too...

by DChan on Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:05 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Second attempt:

DJI announces the Inspire 3 with a 45MP full-frame camera

It's on their site anyway.

by Brian Stirling on Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:07 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
I don't see me plunking down the $16K-$24K for this, but I have to believe pro cinematographers everywhere have already ordered a couple each. High end video cameras are EXPENSIVE and always have been so for a movie studio shelling out $100K or more for a set of four would hardly cut into coffee money for them.

I still don't see 8K for non-movie studios, at least not now, but for a big studio shooting in 8K gives them creative options for cropping while retaining detail levels needed for the big screen. With modern editing suites and the hardware now available 8K60 is almost a breeze.

For stills shooters the perspective a drone offers is hard to complain about and with appropriate software within the drone or post processing it should be a piece of cake to create panos of 500MP+ that could make billboards with incredible detail.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:39 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
While I'm sure some of the major studios have the technical talent to "build" a drone system for their needs the majority aren't going to dedicate expensive talent for this when they can buy a drone with the capabilities they need right from the box. This isn't FPV racers building their own drones for the highly specialized task of zooming through windows etc. What the studios want are high quality cameras capable of 8K that they can crop as needed. They want reliable codecs that work with their workflow and they want the ability to get reasonably priced batteries and spares to maintain them.
The US government prohibition may play a role when a studio is working with a government agency, but for commercial use I see little to limit the use of a DJI drone for non-government related activities. Yes, it may be the case that there is some airspace that will remain off limits to a DJI drone in the USA, but, once again, that would generally be limited to government activities.
The bottom line is that studios just want to do the job in the quickest and least expensive way possible that meets the performance requirements.

Brian

6 posts |