All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Danny Young on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:29 pm
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
Member #:021857
A bit of tongue in cheek here. Nothing serious, it is me after all.  8)

Often I see the term in bird shots "Excellent timing or "great timing". I've said it often enough myself and had it said back like most probably have. With the frame rates we can set now days with a lot of cameras, is there really such a thing as excellent timing in a fast burst. 

Only at 10 FPS, now we can shoot at 30 FPS!  In fact the Oly can do 60 FPS which I have used.

For me it's always about "You don't get to see what goes in the bin"

I mean it's just better to be there and nail the shot. that's the best timing of all. Heck in my case just waking up is good timing. FPS takes a lot away from the mystery that we had in film days and no, I don't want to go back. Maybe it's just a me thing, so just ignore me ...... Jan does a lot  8)

Danny. 

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have said a few times, there is much less skill required nowadays to get good images. Frame rate, excellent autofocus, cropping ability, auto exposure, and on and on. You can even extract an image from video. No more worry about running out of 36 exposures of film. Pre-release shutter even captures a second of images before you even press the shutter button. The best advantage nowadays, IMO, is high ISO capability. What I see posted nowadays would never been captured on film. I guess we're just getting old!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Danny Young on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:48 pm
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote: I have said a few times, there is much less skill required nowadays to get good images. Frame rate, excellent autofocus, cropping ability, auto exposure, and on and on. You can even extract an image from video. No more worry about running out of 36 exposures of film. Pre-release shutter even captures a second of images before you even press the shutter button. What I see posted nowadays would never been captured on film. I guess we're just getting old!!!

Joe
I hear ya Joe and it's why I love using the old manual focus tele lenses, it just feels right. Personally it's all about the challenge, but being a hypocrite here, I still like 8-10 FPS and now and again 30-60 FPS. Now we are seeing birds and animal eye AF and all kinds of AI. Amazing stuff.

Eventually that all becomes normal as a generation thing and also, I've tried using adding sky and some of that is so adjustable it's almost real. Seen a lot where people just leave it on defaults and that looks terrible. So we are seeing the future of what's coming and of course it is very useful, but sometimes I wonder where the challenge really is. I must be getting old mate :)   

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:57 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
And I never mentioned computer skills (hint, hint)!!! I like it when they're used artfully (as you do), but not so much when a whole image is not like it was shot, yet presented as a nature image.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Danny Young on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:41 pm
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
100% agree as well there Joe. Computers have made it fairly simple to represent something that wasn't there to start with. That becomes a head thing with ethics. As long as people disclose it, it's all fine in my book, the issue is when they pass it off or don't even mention it I have trouble with. But yeah, that's another issue that comes down to who is doing what. You would have seen it in world wildlife competitions where it's not always above board and that always comes down to a human having ethics and the right ones.

by ChrisRoss on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:28 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
That may well be, but there's still millions really crappy photos out there on line - what was the line? paraphrasing - "ultra high resolution images in 16 bit colour of rather fuzzy concepts"
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Danny Young on Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:26 am
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote: That may well be, but there's still millions really crappy photos out there on line - what was the line?  paraphrasing -  "ultra high resolution images in 16 bit colour of rather fuzzy concepts"
Ha, pretty much it Chirs and I have plenty of them to prove it :)

7 posts |