« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by pedz on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:09 am
pedz
Forum Contributor
I currently live in New Braunsfels, TX which is essentially San Antonio.

I was in Brownsville the past two weeks hoping to see the SpaceX Starship test launch but it didn't go.  While I was there I did a lot of bird photography.  I guess the two cold fronts that came through delayed the migration.  Some migratory birds had started to arrive but the people I talked to said it had not really started yet.

Long ago, I went to Brazos Bend State Park with a group of folks from NatureScapes.  It was really nice and productive.  I was also at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge last summer when it was hot and inactive.  It is where the Whopping Cranes come.  Further up the coast is McFaddin National Wildlife Refuge and Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge.  Too many choices!!!

Do folks here suggest any particular place over the others?  The local weather might be nice tomorrow and then it might be another week before the sun comes out.

I'll likely just camp out.  The weather is not cold and I might get in some astrophotography.
Thank you very much,
Perry Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This might be one you would want to check out:

https://www.spibirding.com/your-visit

Or this one, as posted by Joe Smith:

viewtopic.php?p=2701244&sid=49679998c24 ... 8#p2701244

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by mlgray12 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:26 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
based on your destinations - looks like you have never been to far West Texas - migration here even comes later even though most breeding birds have arrived.
Fort Davis area in general in a good place to start - camping is easy in Davis Mountain State Park - Bug bend NP 2 hours south and Guadalupe NP 2 hours north.
This a completely different from anywhere else in Texas. Fort Davis itself is almost 1 mile high and Davis mountains top out at 8300 ft. Guads are slightly higher,
Check TNC website (The nature Conservancy) for when Davis Mountain preserve is open - something in May and next open weekend with camping I think is in June. It is 33000 arce preserve where the highest mountain (Livermore) is located.
PS - I live here and currently have 1st irruptive flock of Pinyon Jays eating all my bird seed since early December. Last time this happened in Texas was 2000.
Over 150 jays all running around together in a flock.

Mike Gray
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

3 posts |