Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Eia on Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:48 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Getting a new build and need a new monitor. Currently using the benq 27 on old system and I like it but Was wondering if anyone had experience with the ASUS pro art 32? Or any other suggestions with a newer model around 700.0 dollar range. Any advice or recommendations appreciated. 
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Spec wise it looks great!

by Eia on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:51 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I have heard pros and cons with a 4K monitor. Would it be too much for a 27 or 32 inch screen?
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Only if you are using old software that doesn’t scale fonts.  If you are still using Photoshop CS6 then it can be an issue although there are cumbersome workarounds.  But if you are on CC or any other modern software it is no issue.

by bradmangas on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
The only advice I would give, which I have for some time now, is, for critical photo editing, and especially if you plan on producing a lot of physical prints from images, I would not go with a higher resolution display such as in the 4k and up class. This is due to the interrelations techniques that are determined to render an image at 4k (or the 3840x2160 if that is this case).

I can't say with certain, details about this specific display, but there is no legitimate need for the 4k genre in photo editing, and can, inadvertently cause issues. Apple displays are very bad at this interpolation and will actually skew an image and or pixels when the interpolation is done. This can effect critical editing if that is the case.

For most, the higher resolution display such as 4k and higher won't be a problem so it is rather user specific depending on needs. Just something to be aware of.

by Eia on Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:04 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote: The only advice I would give, which I have for some time now, is, for critical photo editing, and especially if you plan on producing a lot of physical prints from images, I would not go with a higher resolution display such as in the 4k and up class. This is due to the interrelations techniques that are determined to render an image at 4k (or the 3840x2160 if that is this case).

I can't say with certain, details about this specific display, but there is no legitimate need for the 4k genre in photo editing, and can, inadvertently cause issues. Apple displays are very bad at this interpolation and will actually skew an image and or pixels when the interpolation is done. This can effect critical editing if that is the case.

For most, the higher resolution display such as 4k and higher won't be a problem so it is rather user specific depending on needs. Just something to be aware of.
Thank-you…. This is what I have heard before. 
~AnnaMaria~

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:20 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
bradmangas wrote: The only advice I would give, which I have for some time now, is, for critical photo editing, and especially if you plan on producing a lot of physical prints from images, I would not go with a higher resolution display such as in the 4k and up class. 

Brad,
I  am also in the market for a 30-32 inch monitor -any that you suggest?
Rocky Sharwell

by Steve Fines on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:29 am
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
Hi,

I had one of these. Great monitor if you are on a PC, but hard as it is to believe I couldn't get many of the higher end features (color bit depth, color spaces, HDR, refresh rate) to work on a Mac. I had a 30+ email exchange with their tech support at 2-3 days/message which eventually ended up with them essentially giving up.

It was during that time that I found the below review - another person ran into the same issues:

https://petapixel.com/2021/09/13/asus-p ... -pc-users/

The Thunderbolt and DisplayPort interfaces were the worst, but even with HDMI 2.1 on a new m2x mbp it still only did 8 bit color.

On a PC folks really like it - great specs.

by Eia on Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:42 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
So any other recommendations…
~AnnaMaria~

by ChrisRoss on Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:21 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: Only if you are using old software that doesn’t scale fonts.  If you are still using Photoshop CS6 then it can be an issue although there are cumbersome workarounds.  But if you are on CC or any other modern software it is no issue.
I used this method on a surface PC 4K display and it looks as good as it does on my standard resolution monitors.

https://danantonielli.com/adobe-app-sca ... plays-fix/

Back to the OP question, if you can afford it buy an Eizo.  My view is you spend all this money on the latest photo gear and for most users 99% of the work we produce from the latest and greatest gear - the only place you ever see the final output is on your monitor!
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Phil Shaw on Mon May 01, 2023 2:13 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
ChrisRoss wrote:
Back to the OP question, if you can afford it buy an Eizo.  My view is you spend all this money on the latest photo gear and for most users 99% of the work we produce from the latest and greatest gear - the only place you ever see the final output is on your monitor!
Couldn't agree more.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by imagenes_vivas on Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 pm
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
I have the same problem. My old iMac goes to my wife and I will buy a MacMini M2Pro or MacStudioM1 Max (still deciding).

But I will need a monitor and the ones able to show 99% of the AdobeRGB color space (like BenQ SW271C) are pretty expensive.

Is a bad move to buy a not so expensive like the BenQ PD2705 or 2725 that does not cover the full AdobeRGB space? In fact my current iMac 5K Retina only covers around the 80% of Adobe RGB. The SW cost 1600 € against 1000 € for the PD.

by Eia on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
imagenes_vivas wrote: I have the same problem. My old iMac goes to my wife and I will buy a MacMini M2Pro or MacStudioM1 Max (still deciding).

But I will need a monitor and the ones able to show 99% of the AdobeRGB color space (like BenQ SW271C) are pretty expensive.

Is a bad move to buy a not so expensive like the BenQ PD2705 or 2725 that does not cover the full AdobeRGB space? In fact my current iMac 5K Retina only covers around the 80% of Adobe RGB. The SW cost 1600 € against 1000 € for the PD.
Since I have the  BenQ 27 inch 2 k already I went with the Asus Pro Art 32 4 k. It isn’t as color accurate as the BenQ but with tweaking I got it to match really close. Honestly it’s hard to tell the difference and at the size and resolution looks almost better IMHO. But I don’t print my own photos nor make a living from photography. I am really pleased at this price point. (I got it on sale)
https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa329cv/
~AnnaMaria~

13 posts |