Processing thoughts, lens choice etc.

Posted by sanfairyanne on Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
I'm completely new to this forum and wanted to ask people's opinion on my image which I shot yesterday using the Nikon Z mount 20mm f1.8 lens. I suppose initially I might have used a longer focal length to keep the visual size of the mountain, however, with that 'Michelin Man' cloud I knew i couldn't compromise. I've not yet taken any shots with the 20mm so it was nice to get something that might benefit from its sharpness over the kit 14-30mm. The image was focus stacked using the Z7's automatic stacking method. At the time the wind was so strong I had the tripod tied down, I was well aware that my backpack could blow away, the wind was that extreme. Fortunately, there would be lulls in the wind where there was virtually no breeze whatsoever. I captured the 'stack' during one such lull. Despite f4 being approximately the sweet spot of this lens I shot at F8 to give the stack a better chance of success. 

I appreciate that the mountain is not centred in the frame. Does this negatively impact the image for you? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am only looking at this on a 13'' laptop screen.

Posted by:
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor

by John Labrenz on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
First...let me welcome you to Naturescapes and in particular Landscapes!
What a cracker of a first image here!!!
It is superbly sharp, has great atmospherics with the lenticular clouds...wonderful foreground element and sweet light.
The dead pine and glacial lake lead nicely to the glacier and mountain and then cloud.
The slightly off center mtn is not a deal breaker here as there is so much goodness.
My only thought would have been to back up ever so slightly as the dead pine is cut off on the left and seems a tad cramped there.
Minor nit...

Enjoy the site and please post more.

by sanfairyanne on Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:22 am
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote: First...let me welcome you to Naturescapes and in particular Landscapes!
What a cracker of a first image here!!!
It is superbly sharp, has great atmospherics with the lenticular clouds...wonderful foreground element and sweet light.
The dead pine and glacial lake lead nicely to the glacier and mountain and then cloud.
The slightly off center mtn is not a deal breaker here as there is so much goodness.
My only thought would have been to back up ever so slightly as the dead pine is cut off on the left and seems a tad cramped there.
Minor nit...

Enjoy the site and please post more.
Thank you John,
I'm glad the off-centre mountain isn't a deal breaker and especially pleased that you're seeing the image to be superbly sharp.
I'm only viewing it on a small laptop at the moment, but it looks sharp to me too.
I agree the left side is a tad cramped. I'm not sure why I didn't back up slightly, I recall that the fallen trees are on quite a steep hill, so maybe I couldn't back up or maybe there was a thick patch of vegetation.

Maybe you notice this, sometimes I'll go somewhere and the very first time I arrive I get the best conditions. I'll run around like a mad hen looking for the best composition and I'll shoot what I can. I might return dozens of times but never get better conditions. I hope this location isn't one such place.

I am in this area for several more months and intend to try to get a shot here during winter. I'll be sure to look back at this fallen tree and see if it would have been possible to give more free space to the left. 

Many thanks and once again I appreciate your thoughts. I've been here two months on this trip and have one other image, I might post it later today.

Charles

by david fletcher on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:48 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Marvellous first image Charles! And in such challenging conditions. Looking forward to seeing many more and another warm welcome to NSN.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Dan Kearl on Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
This is very nice!! I might take a bit off the top to right above the cloud streak and a bit off the bottom to right below the dark Horiz. crack.
Excellent image..

by sanfairyanne on Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:21 pm
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote: Marvellous first image Charles!  And in such challenging conditions.  Looking forward to seeing many more and another warm welcome to NSN.

Thanks for the welcome David. I don't use Instagram or other social media outlets, however, sometimes it's important to get valid useful feedback and that's why I joined NatureScapes. I appreciate the welcome and best of luck with the light. 

by sanfairyanne on Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:22 pm
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
Dan Kearl wrote: This is very nice!! I might take a bit off the top to right above the cloud streak and a bit off the bottom to right below the dark Horiz. crack.
Excellent image..

Thanks Dean, when I'm home I'll check the image on my large monitor. I like to think it doesn't need cropping, but I'll certainly consider it. I'm glad nobody's come back and told me the off-centre mountain is a big problem. 

by John Labrenz on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:28 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Charles.
I came back for another look at this beauty and forgot to mention that I think your processing of this is perfect...colors and luminosity are all very natural looking.
Also a question...is this T del P in Chile?

by sanfairyanne on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:18 am
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote: Charles.
I came back for another look at this beauty and forgot to mention that I think your processing of this is perfect...colors and luminosity are all very natural looking.
Also a question...is this T del P in Chile?

Hi John,

I'm glad the processing looks perfect, funnily enough very little has been done, there's no dodging or burning etc. This is Los Glaciers National Park, Argentina.

by Eia on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:35 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Stunning! It has everything. Can’t wait to see more.
~AnnaMaria~

by sanfairyanne on Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:25 pm
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote: Stunning! It has everything. Can’t wait to see more.

Thank you Eia,

Ever since i uploaded that image the weather here has been atrocious. We're expecting visibility for the mountains on Monday. There should be fresh snow on the high peaks. The mountains always look amazing with fresh snow, so I'm eager to get out. I have until the end of September for this trip, so all being well I'll get one or two more shots. 

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:31 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I find no fault with this- a spectacular shot with great leading lines , great variety in subject and color....fabulous clouds...Welcome to NSN! Looking forward to more!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:49 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
There is so much to enjoy in this spectacular view that its difficult to appreciate it all at this size. I am sure a large print of this hanging on a wall would be stunning!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by sanfairyanne on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:24 pm
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
Thank you Carol, I see that like me you are from the UK. I think one of the downsides to living on our little island is that you struggle to find a good printer that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. I'd like to have one or two images printed on Fujiflex and face mounted on non reflective acrylic, maybe at 40" but the costs of doing this are about double those in the United States. I'm yet to find any printer that would charge less than £1,000 for a 40" print in such a configuration.

14 posts |