Ermine/Stoat

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
D500,500mm, 1/2500, f/5.6,ISO 3200

I wish I had a better shout of this little character. Mostly I want to tell a story. She/he has been hanging around our property for almost a year now- living, I think, in a stone wall near  a studio a bit away from the house. When this was taken, there was no snow, so it ran from place to place trying to be inconspicuous. We have a little snow now, perhaps about to disappear in recent rains. Strange winter.
But the real story is that today I drove away, about 4-5 miles from my house, and while I was driving, up pops this frantic little guy running back and forth in front of my windshield in the hollow where the wipers rest! I was so astonished. I wanted to turn around and take it home, but the little guy bravely jumped off the moving car , landed gracefully onto the pavement and into the woods. I was sorry to see it go, but hope it survives in it's new habitat. I will miss seeing it running around here.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by MalcolmBenn on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:16 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Quite the adventure for you both and hopefully it survived ... excellent shot.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by david fletcher on Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:10 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Remarkable! Hitch hikers guide to the northern woods! Wow! Thanks for sharing Cindy. A real treat.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:02 am
Cynthia Crawford
MalcolmBenn wrote: Quite the adventure for you both and hopefully it survived ... excellent shot.
Thanks Malcolm-I hope so too...
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:06 am
Cynthia Crawford
david fletcher wrote: Remarkable!    Hitch hikers guide to the northern woods!  Wow!  Thanks for sharing Cindy.  A real treat.
Slightly smaller than the universe.  No droll computers in this story unless you count the car. :lol:

by Axel Hildebrandt on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:17 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
What a surprising story, I hope he finds a good new place unless he walks back to your place.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Swissblad on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:53 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
What a lovely story and image - I'm sure it will find it's way home!

by Carol Clarke on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:19 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What an amazing story! I know they can travel a few miles on a hunting trip when food is scarce, but they usually return to their home territory so hopefully you will see it again - if it is the same one? Could it possibly have been hiding in your vehicle anywhere? Maybe it woke up and climbed on to your hood......You say you wish you had a better shot........I think this is very nice indeed! A little beauty, Cindy!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mark Boranyak on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:33 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Very nice image and story to go with it.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:35 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Carol Clarke wrote: What an amazing story!  I know they can travel a few miles on a hunting trip when food is scarce, but they usually return to their home territory so hopefully you will see it again - if it is the same one?  Could it possibly have been hiding in your vehicle anywhere?  Maybe it woke up and climbed on to your hood......You say you wish you had a better shot........I think this is very nice indeed!  A little beauty, Cindy!

Carol.
Thanks Carol-I hope it comes back home, but it has to travel about 5 miles, and there are roads to contend with.

I guess it thought my car was a good place to hide- or maybe the engine was warm when she crawled in there. She/he must have been terrified! There is a hole /gap between the engine and the wiper blade hollow-that little head popped up from there I think. :)

by Ed Cordes on Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:18 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Great shot and fun story. I have yet to see one in the wild. Good control of the whites!
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

11 posts |