« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:51 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Hi,

My wife's parents passed away many years ago and at the time of the estate settlement, there were some family slide carousels that nobody wanted. I took them with the intention of someday copying and sending them to the relatives. I've finally started to do it, using a nikon macro and film copying attachment. However, the color has faded and shifted terribly over the past 50+ years. I've had some limited succes in fixing them using the neural filters in Photoshop, Topaz Denoise and Capture One, but it's a lot of work per image, and I have hundreds to do. 
I've seen advertisements for AI based photo restoration of old photographs, does anyone have experience with any of them, or recommendations?
Thank you
Scott

by Swissblad on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
As you have numerous slides to scan and correct, you may consider a commercial service e.g.: http://scan-slides.com or https://www.scancafe.com/services/slide-scanning, all off whom offer a colour correction service.

by Jeff Pearl on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
There is colorizing software that does a pretty realistic job of restoring old and faded photos. I just colorized this photo on the MyHeritage genealogy site. I would think there are other sites using this technology. I find it's better to edit photo the best you can first before colorizing it. There is also editing software on MyHeritage that you might want to test out.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
WOW!!!

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:49 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I'll check it out!

5 posts |