Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by jnadler on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:25 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
For a brand new desktop running Windows 11 with a Sata drive for operating system and software and separate drive for images, what is the proper way to create a bootable backup?  A clone or image of the Sata drive on a USB?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would put it on another SATA drive and yes a clone - that way you can simply swap drives if you have a failure.

by jnadler on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:12 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: I would put it on another SATA drive and yes a clone - that way you can simply swap drives if you have a failure.
Oops, I meant my os drive is an SSD not SATA. Should my backup drive be an external SSD or internal SSD put in an USB enclosure?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
jnadler wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote: I would put it on another SATA drive and yes a clone - that way you can simply swap drives if you have a failure.
Oops, I meant my os drive is an SSD not SATA. Should my backup drive be an external SSD or internal SSD put in an USB enclosure?
Doesn't really matter.  I actually install a second SSD inside my computer and just clone over once a week on a schedule with Macrium Reflect.  That way if my main one crashes, it's very simply to just boot off of the backup.

by Eia on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:47 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
jnadler wrote:
Doesn't really matter.  I actually install a second SSD inside my computer and just clone over once a week on a schedule with Macrium Reflect.  That way if my main one crashes, it's very simply to just boot off of the backup.
E.J. Why do you use Macrium for scheduling? Does the SSD already have its own software to use? Macrium must have an advantage? Also, can a computer be reboote with an external hard drive connected to usb?
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Eia wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
jnadler wrote:
E.J. Why do you use Macrium for scheduling? Does the SSD already have its own software to use? Macrium must have an advantage? Also, can a computer be reboote with an external hard drive connected to usb?
Cloning is just super easy with Macrium and 100% reliable so I use what I trust :)
Yes, a computer can be booted from anything, you just have to intervene the boot-up process with a key combination that you can look up for your version of the OS and then select from all of the attached devices.

by signgrap on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
A plus one for using Macrium Reflect Free to clone a backup of C drive. It's free, easy to use and its update process is easy to do.
Dick Ludwig

by jnadler on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote: A plus one for using Macrium Reflect Free to clone a backup of C drive. It's free, easy to use and its update process is easy to do.

The free version is ending soon.

by Eia on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Yes, the free version will soon end and support is no longer available. Unfortunately I got an error that said disk cannot be found backup aborted. I tried several different ports, cables and drives with same message. Their knowledge base said a bug was in the version, but since it’s not supported I don’t know what else to try unless I pay yet another fee.
~AnnaMaria~

9 posts |