« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Jeff Colburn on Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:13 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

Great news, I just updated one of my most popular articles, "Alternatives To Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Adobe’s CreativeCloud." You can see it here https://www.jeffcolburn.com/articles/alternatives-to-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-and-adobes-creativecloud

This article has been viewed almost 6,000 times. I released it in 2014, but since then some companies have gone away, while new ones have become available.

My favorite new program is ON1 Photo Raw. I've been using it for about two years and love it. I use it instead of Lightroom and Photoshop. You can learn more about it, and the free 14-day trial, here https://on1.sjv.io/15Mjdz

Check out my updated article to see which program will work best for you, and some of these programs are free.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:39 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Interesting!  Why is Capture One not included?  The answer is yes to every one of the questions you ask about each software package.

by photoman4343 on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:24 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Jeff, I use DXO PL6. Here is what the User manual says about File Formats, User Manual pages 14-15:

DXO PL6 user manual
Page 14
Compatible file formats:
“…..Native DNG files from supported cameras. Linear DNG files created by DxO PhotoLab. DNG files created by Adobe Lightroom, Camera Raw and DNG Converter, excluding compressed lossy DNG format. DNG files output by merge HDR, Panorama, or Panorama HDR from Lightroom or Camera Raw.
Page 15
“DNG files created with Adobe Lightroom, Camera Raw or DNG Converter are
supported as long as the native Raw files of the shooting camera are compatible
with DxO PhotoLab. In DxO PhotoLab, DNG files created with Adobe software are
considered Raw files. Therefore, all the tools and corrections specific to Raw files, as
described in this user guide, also apply to DNGs.”

While DXO PL6 does not have layers, it has lots of local adjustments. It does not Have HDR

It does seem to have tools similar to Content Aware tools in Adobe. Check the User manual to see what they are and how they work.
Joe Smith

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:15 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Joe,

Thanks for responding.

I've made some changes in my article based on the information you provided.

Thanks,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

Last edited by Jeff Colburn on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:37 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi E.J.,

Thanks for responding.

I wanted to list programs that would replace Photoshop, according to Digital Photography School, if you use Capture One, you also need Photoshop.

https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... -together/
Capture One Pro is a RAW processor with incredible performance and functionality, but it doesn’t completely replace Photoshop.

In order to get the most out of your RAW file, you might want to do as much of your post-processing as possible in Capture One (COP). However, you’ll still need Photoshop for retouching.

COP offers fantastic color management and adjustment tools, but Photoshop allows you to work on the individual pixels in a file via cleaning techniques, cloning, and layers. Photoshop also allows you to create composites.

And from Lapse Of The Shutter.
https://www.lapseoftheshutter.com/captu ... photoshop/
Comparing Capture One vs Photoshop to find the best photo editing program is pretty tough, but in general, Capture One is better for photo organization, portrait photographers and those who shoot more traditional landscapes, while Photoshop is better suited to high-end retouching, blending multiple exposures and generally more complex edits.

In an ideal world, you would use both Capture One and Photoshop, as they can complement each other very well when used in tandem, although this does come at a higher cost than using either separately.

Since several sites have said you should use both Capture One and Photoshop, I decided not to include it in an article about replacing Photoshop.

Sincerely,
Jeff

by aolander on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:14 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
Lightroom/Photoshop Photography package is only $9.99/mo with 20GB of cloud storage, $19.99 with 1TB storage.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You could easily only use CaptureOne especially since it supports many PS plug-ins directly.  6 years ago, I would probably agree with what those sites you quoted said but today this isn't so much the case.  At least not anymore so than something like DXO.  I agree that Capture One and something like Photoshop or Afinity Photo is super powerful, it is used as a standalone by many, especially in the fashion and product photography space.  Nowadays, the only time I go into Photoshop is if I need to run a plug-in that is only supported by Photoshop.  Virtually everything else is done in C1.

Along the same lines, certainly Affinity Photo is among, if not the most competent Photoshop replacements...

by Jeff Colburn on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:17 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
aolander wrote:Lightroom/Photoshop Photography package is only $9.99/mo with 20GB of cloud storage, $19.99 with 1TB storage.
Hi aolander,

Thanks for commenting.

When you go to the Adobe page https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html it only lists the $20 package, not the $10 package. Maybe you were grandfathered in from an earlier purchase.

They do list Lightroom only for $10.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
LR & PS with 20GB of online storage is $9.99 per month:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/pla ... individual

Here's a comparison of the different photography plans and their cost:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/pho ... plans.html

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:56 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I use Capture One for 90% of my photography. However, since using Topaz Denoise, I find I run a lot of images through it too. C1's clone stamp is a primitive tool, so I use Affinity Photo for all other cleanup work. I have Lightroom, but I find it a distant second compared to C1, and I also have DXO 5, but its slow support for new cameras is a deterrent, and while very good, I find it lacking compared to C1. 

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:18 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info Scott.

11 posts |