Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by John Labrenz on Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:03 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Effective this year, personal vehicles will NO longer be allowed to make the drive up to Moraine Lake (Banff National Park).

Details here;

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/parkbus/louise

And rationale here;

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/parkbus/louise/renseignements-sur-le-stationnement-parking-information

Note....there will be NO shuttles between the hours of 8pm and 6am.

From Parks Canada;

" In order to protect our important wildlife corridors, Parks Canada is unable to run a sunrise shuttle. To help minimize disturbances to wildlife using the Whitehorn wildlife corridor, access to the Park and Ride via Whitehorn Drive is restricted between 8:00pm and 6:00am

Also;

"Improved wildlife movement in the Fairview wildlife corridor - Moraine Lake road runs through an important wildlife corridor"

Then further;

"Parks Canada is unable to provide a shuttle for sunrise but will allow commercial transportation providers to accommodate visitors wishing to see the sunrise at Moraine Lake"

For someone wanting to take sunrise images, Parks Canada is effectively telling photographers to either walk or bike the 12km ( 8 miles) up to the lake....or take a commercial transportation provider that has apparently has no impact on the wildlife corridor

Anyway..... just a heads up for those that still wish to visit this iconic place....

by ChrisRoss on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:40 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
archfotos wrote: With the improved electric bike I personally hope more Parks restrict driving and see that bike lanes and promoting biking is a true solution to the traffic problems parks have been experiencing.  It's funny how much more wildlife you will see biking through a park than in a car I would routinely come across bears on my bike (middle of the day even) and as soon as a car engine sound came around a bend the bear would step back into the brush and the car would pass us wondering where all the animals were.

Yes I understand glass is heavy I also question the incessant need for all these bloated lenses.  When I worked for the newspapers we could push to 3200 iso and that was it.  Most of my bike riding experience through parks has been lugging camping gear/food plus a full frame camera so I know it can be done. There are handlebar bags and panniers that can be outfitted to carry fragile gear.

Now with electric assist bikes I see old out of shape people cruising  up hills in MT so I don't see it being a major restriction.  In fact instead of increasing permitted commercial shuttles it would be great to see more electric bike rental places adjacent to park entrances. 

Yes a great heads up, hopefully people planning their trips this year will think of taking bikes along with them. You will see more wildlife on a bike almost guaranteed than in a car.
Has it's pluses and minuses of course- I remember reading that bike riders were particularly prone to attack by mountain lions and being quieter potentially more likely to surprise animals.

I'm glad I got up to the lake 20 odd years ago for sunrise, I was the only person there!  I will say though that I'd prefer to bike than take a shuttle. 
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

2 posts |