Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by dbolt@boltassociates.com on Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:11 pm
dbolt@boltassociates.com
Forum Contributor
Today, I printed my last 17x25 sheet of Ilford mono silk on an Epson p800 printer. The image is for a juried show in two weeks. The bottom half (picture about 8x24) looks excellent, but the top half is missing. The "half" print was a tweak-up from the same image that printed correctly two days ago on the same printer.

I recall something similar happening with my 3880, but I never knew what caused the problem then. I surely would like to know how to prevent it from happening again. I could only think to reboot the PC, turn the printer off/on, and use a different 17x25 paper (Museo Rag). It printed correctly this time.

The only glitch I noticed when loading the "half" print was the printer indicated an issue involving the feed mechanism. I hit the resumed button and received the same error message, so I flipped the paper. No feed mechanism error, but it produced the "half" print.

The Museo paper loaded without error and printed as I expected.

I would sure learning how to prevent the p800 from printing half of an image. As I recall, the problem only happens when printing 16x20 and 16x24 images, but my memory may be influenced by the cost of the paper involved.  

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
dbolt@boltassociates.com wrote: Today, I printed my last 17x25 sheet of Ilford mono silk on an Epson p800 printer. The image is for a juried show in two weeks. The bottom half (picture about 8x24) looks excellent, but the top half is missing. The "half" print was a tweak-up from the same image that printed correctly two days ago on the same printer.

I recall something similar happening with my 3880, but I never knew what caused the problem then. I surely would like to know how to prevent it from happening again. I could only think to reboot the PC, turn the printer off/on, and use a different 17x25 paper (Museo Rag). It printed correctly this time.

The only glitch I noticed when loading the "half" print was the printer indicated an issue involving the feed mechanism. I hit the resumed button and received the same error message, so I flipped the paper. No feed mechanism error, but it produced the "half" print.

I would sure learning how to prevent the p800 from printing half of an image. As I recall, the problem only happens when printing 16x20 and 16x24 images, but my memory may be influenced by the cost of the paper involved.  
Doug, what application are you printing out of?  If Photoshop or lightroom or any imaging software, I strongly suggest switching over to Epson Print Layout
https://epson.com/epson-print-layout

I wrote about it in my newsletter - it really simplifies printing and puts these weird driver issues in the past:
https://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Qua ... 202022.pdf
It starts on Page 4.

by dbolt on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:08 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
E.J. Peiker wrote:
dbolt@boltassociates.com wrote: Today, I printed my last 17x25 sheet of Ilford mono silk on an Epson p800 printer. The image is for a juried show in two weeks. The bottom half (picture about 8x24) looks excellent, but the top half is missing. The "half" print was a tweak-up from the same image that printed correctly two days ago on the same printer.

Doug, what application are you printing out of?  If Photoshop or lightroom or any imaging software, I strongly suggest switching over to Epson Print Layout

I wrote about it in my newsletter - it really simplifies printing and puts these weird driver issues in the past:
It starts on Page 4.
EJ,

When you mentioned EPL, it sounded very familiar. It turns out I installed it after reading your newsletter. But, as old age would have it, I forget to go to Automate when I print (old age once again!). So, I don't know if EPL would have prevented the p800 from printing only half of a page because the issue does not happen every time. I didn't reprint the image again using EPL because the following image printed fine via "Print" after the screw-up in question. However, I do plan to use EPL in the future.

Thanks again!

Doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
dbolt wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

It starts on Page 4.
EJ,

When you mentioned EPL, it sounded very familiar. It turns out I installed it after reading your newsletter. But, as old age would have it, I forget to go to Automate when I print (old age once again!). So, I don't know if EPL would have prevented the p800 from printing only half of a page because the issue does not happen every time. I didn't reprint the image again using EPL because the following image printed fine via "Print" after the screw-up in question. However, I do plan to use EPL in the future.

Thanks again!

Doug
Unless there is a problem with the printer itself, I think it would have prevented the problem as it bypasses Photoshop completely in the printing process instead of Photoshop needing to communicate with the printer through an arcane print driver.  When I was printing from PS I would often waste a piece of paper and the associated ink. That has not happened even once since using Epson Print Layput.

4 posts |