Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by TomWalker on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:47 am
TomWalker
Forum Contributor
Sad to report the passing of one of outdoor photography’s true pioneers.

Leonard Lee Rue III, famous wildlife photographer, lecturer, and author, passed away quietly on November 4, 2022 at age 96. Born February 20, 1926 in Paterson, NJ, he is survived by Uschi (Ursula), his wife of 26 years. He is survived by 3 sons, 7 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He is also survived by one sister, Evelyn Rue Guthrie (Bill), one brother, Thomas Rue and nephews, nieces and cousins. He became the most published wildlife photographer in the country with more than 1800 magazine covers to his credit. He has 31 published books and contributed more than 1500 articles for wildlife and hunting magazines. He gave more than 4,500 lectures for schools, camps and community groups. In 1990 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science from Colorado State.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:07 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That’s sad to hear. Leonard Lee Rue and Erwin Bauer were probably the two most influential photographers to me when I first started out. They were both amongst the most published wildlife photographers. I remember Leonard once stating in recent years that if anyone talked to him and he didn’t respond to not think he was being arrogant, he just didn’t hear well anymore. I know that feeling well! His company was also one of the first to specialize in photo equipment specifically designed for wildlife photographers. I still have one of his quick set-up blinds. It is really cleverly made. So long to a pioneer in a field that was much different when he started out.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jim Zipp on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:12 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
What a great loss Tom. I only met him a couple times but he was a larger than life character.  The first time I met him I was walking alone along the road in Denali near Polychrome Pass around midnight,  He stopped and asked where I was headed and when I told him I had a tent in Teklanika he said hop in and I rode back with him and his son.  Back then he was a rock star when it came to wildlife photography and I was a rank beginner so it was something I'll never forget.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by TomWalker on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:49 am
TomWalker
Forum Contributor
So very true, Jim Zipp. He could be very generous and kind. Colorful was also a descriptor.

Last edited by TomWalker on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by TomWalker on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am
TomWalker
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:That’s sad to hear. Leonard Lee Rue and Erwin Bauer were probably the two most influential photographers to me when I first started out. They were both amongst  the most published wildlife photographers. I remember Leonard once stating in recent years that if anyone talked to him and he didn’t respond to not think he was being arrogant, he just didn’t hear well anymore. I know that feeling well!  His company was also one of the first to specialize in photo equipment specifically designed for wildlife photographers. I still have one of his quick set-up blinds. It is really cleverly made. So long to a pioneer in a field that was much different when he started out.

Joe
My memories exactly, Joe. I met Joe Bauer and Lennie in Alaska the same year, 1974. Idols. I had the good fortune to travel with Joe to Antarctica before he passed and shot with Lennie at McNeil and Denali. Pioneers both.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:09 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Sad news indeed. He was certainly an inspiration to me; one of the first nature photographers I was familiar with when I was a kid.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Jim Zipp on Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:11 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
TomWalker wrote:So very true, Jim Zipp. He could be very generous and kind. Colorful was also a descriptor.
Tom, Colorful is right.  After I got in the car he looked at my Gitzo tripod with the silver legs and scowled about they should be black.  At the time he was selling them and only sold the black ones.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

7 posts |