« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by jake36 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 pm
jake36
Forum Contributor
I am a bit confused about using IBIS (body stabilization) together with OSS (lens stabilization). I'm using an A9 with various Sony lenses (say 24-105 f/4 for example). I'm finding the SteadyShot feature selection is always disabled (dimmed) in the camera menu. If I choose SteadyShot in the camera menu anyway, I get the message "Lens: Invalid with this lens. If the lens has a SteadyShot switch, perform the operation from the lens." This means that I cannot control IBIS independently of OSS. I can only assume (hope) that IBIS and OSS actually work together when I set the lens OSS switch to On, as Sony promises they do.

However, it's not clear that this is as it should be.

Sony support topic "The SteadyShot feature is disabled in the camera menu" (https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00248415) should apply to this particular camera+lens combination, and it states:

If you are using a lens with the Optical SteadyShotâ„¢ (OSS) feature, then the In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) or SteadyShot selection of the camera will be unavailable. When both the camera and lens have the feature, the lens stabilization overrides the menu system of the camera and the systems work in conjunction with each other to provide a 5-axis stabilization system. If you connect a lens that does not have the SteadyShot feature or turn off the feature on a lens that does, then the feature selection is available within the camera menu and the camera.

Notice the (highlighted) statement at the end: "If you ... turn off the [OSS] feature on a lens ... then the feature [SteadyShot] selection is available within the camera menu and the camera." So SteadyShot selection should be available in the camera menu when the OSS (lens) switch is set to Off position, which would at least allow for use of IBIS without OSS. But that's not how it works on my cameras and lenses: it's both IBIS and OSS, or nothing.

One could argue that the first sentence in the Sony support topic is inconsistent with the end statement, cited above.

Thoughts? Is the Sony support document in error?

Armand

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That is correct, an OSS lens takes control and you can either disable it or enable it only with the lens. There really isn't any reason why you would ever want OSS on the lens only - you can largely disable the in-body stabilization by switching to any OSS mode that is not Mode 1 on the lens. The wording that you have included above from Sony is clearly wrong.

2 posts |