All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I tried to find Electronic Shutter in Sony a7R4 menu and set the camera to it so it won't count the shutter actuation. 
I can't find it. I can't find the instruction on the Internet either.
Please help. Karl.

by Mark L on Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:37 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
This Youtube video shows you how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEszGtwpYwg 

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Would that actually make the camera not count the shutter actuation as you suggest?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Karl Egressy on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:29 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Would that actually make the camera not count the shutter actuation as you suggest?

Joe
Thanks Joe. When I set the a9 to electronics shutter it won't count the shutter actuations. So it shows that the mechanical shutter count is 850 after more than three years and I had used it a lot. Why? I shoot electronics always. The a7R4 count the shutter even when I set it to electronic (silent) that was very surprising to me.
It does mean a lot when you try to sell it, the shutter count, that is.

by Karl Egressy on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
I might have found out by chance how to turn off the counting while shooting with electronics shutter.. (Electronics is terrible for BIF with a7R4).Will try and let you know tomorrow.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You just enable Silent Shutter :)

by Karl Egressy on Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:26 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:You just enable Silent Shutter :)
Thanks E. J. It did not work on my camera. 
I shot 2000 clicks on the other day and I was shocked to notice that the shutter cound went up by 2000 despite the fact that I was shooting silent mode. 
I was cheking the Internet but nobody had the answer I was looking for. 
Then by chance one Camera 1 page 10 I noticed that AEL w/shutter was switched on. 
I switched it off and it solved my problem. 
I assigned a button to very quickly switch from electronics to mechanical on the fly with my thumb, so when a bird flies, I can quickly switch back to meschanical.
Electronic shutter bends everything as I follow the bird.
If anyone has this problem: Camera 1 page 10 AEL shotter should be off.
Thanks.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Karl Egressy wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:You just enable Silent Shutter :)
Thanks E. J. It did not work on my camera. 
I shot 2000 clicks on the other day and I was shocked to notice that the shutter cound went up by 2000 despite the fact that I was shooting silent mode. 
I was cheking the Internet but nobody had the answer I was looking for. 
Then by chance one Camera 1 page 10 I noticed that AEL w/shutter was switched on. 
I switched it off and it solved my problem. 
I assigned a button to very quickly switch from electronics to mechanical on the fly with my thumb, so when a bird flies, I can quickly switch back to meschanical.
Electronic shutter bends everything as I follow the bird.
If anyone has this problem: Camera 1 page 10 AEL shotter should be off.
Thanks.
Yes, the readout speed of that sensor is too slow for electronic shutter and action.  You would need an a1 to use electronic shutter with BIF.

by Karl Egressy on Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:46 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Are only the stacked sensor cameras good for BIF? I think Sony a7R V would be just as bad for BIF as the IV.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Karl Egressy wrote:Are only the stacked sensor cameras good for BIF? I think Sony a7R V would be just as bad for BIF as the IV.
It's all about the readout speed.  The a7R5 will be better from an AF standpoint so very useful for birds as long as you use the mechanical shutter but not so good if you use the electronic (silent) shutter.  

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:05 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Karl Egressy wrote:Are only the stacked sensor cameras good for BIF? I think Sony a7R V would be just as bad for BIF as the IV.

Hi Karl, check out Dpreview's video review of the A7R5. They show a quick image of Jordan running with vertical lines in the background. They are tilted just as badly as the A7R4, so no gains in the electronic shutter that I can see. I imagine the A9 is due for an upgrade soon. That will likely be a good bird camera.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

Hi Karl, check out Dpreview's video review of the A7R5. They show a quick image of Jordan running with vertical lines in the background. They are tilted just as badly as the A7R4, so no gains in the electronic shutter that I can see. I imagine the A9 is due for an upgrade soon. That will likely be a good bird camera.
Note that this is only true for the fully electronic shutter.  All you have to do is enable the second curtain shutter and this goes away.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

Note that this is only true for the fully electronic shutter.  All you have to do is enable the second curtain shutter and this goes away.
Yes, that is what I meant. IMO, a blackout-free electronic shutter with minimal rolling shutter effects is my expectation for a premium camera these days. No way I'd buy a camera and expect to use it for action with anything less. Sony has the A9 and A1 and Nikon has the Z9, not sure about Canon, but I wouldn't spend money on a new camera if it didn't meet that criteria. Obviously, a non-bird photog or a landscape photog will have a different opinion. lol

13 posts |