« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:33 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Does anyone have any experience selling equipment to either Adorama or KEH?  I've purchased used equipment from both but have never sold equipment to either.  I've read a couple of bad reviews about dealing with Adorama, but I take those reviews with a grain of salt because, well, just because.

I would appreciate anyone's actual experiences with either company, or any other company.  Thanks in advance.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I haven't sold to Adorama but have to KEH and stopped using them.  Every time I have sold to them, I have given them an accurate description, they made me a quote and then significantly lowered what they would pay once they received the gear with vague reasons.  I now use MPB (MPB.com).  I have sold many items to them and they have always paid exactly what they quoted and paid within a few days of receiving the gear, rather than weeks later.

by delong1301 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am
delong1301
Forum Contributor
Another vote for MPB

by Bill Chambers on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:31 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Excellent. Thanks so much for your replies! I will check out MPB.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:59 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I contacted MPB and created an account, and received a quote and scheduled shipping. The quote I received from MPB was considerably higher (~$1650) than the ones I received from Adorama (~$1350) nd KEH (~$1450), so things look good so far. I hope to get it packaged up and sent out today and hopefully will receive funds before long.

Again, thank you both for your help!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Brian K. on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:48 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
Bill Chambers wrote:I contacted MPB and created an account, and received a quote and scheduled shipping.  The quote I received from MPB was considerably higher (~$1650) than the ones I received from Adorama (~$1350) nd KEH (~$1450), so things look good so far.  I hope to get it packaged up and sent out today and hopefully will receive funds before long.

Again, thank you both for your help!

Bill,

Please keep us posted as to how it goes. I switched over to the Canon RF system and have a bunch of EF lenses and bodies to sell. 

Thanks,
Brian
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by Bill Chambers on Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:08 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Brian K. wrote: Bill,

Please keep us posted as to how it goes. I switched over to the Canon RF system and have a bunch of EF lenses and bodies to sell. 

Thanks,
Brian
Will do, Brian.  I'm very interested also; if this one goes well, I also have several other lenses I'll selling to them in addition to this one.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
What will happen is that within a few days of receiving the gear, they will evaluate it and make sure that you rated it accurately. The primary thing that people get downgraded for is if a lens is cosmetically like new and you state that it is like new but there are some specs of dust in the optics. Once they evaluate it they will get back to you and you click on a link to put your routing number and account number for your bank and a few hours later the funds will be sent direct to your account. It's very straight forward and fast.

by Bill Chambers on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:03 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:What will happen is that within a few days of receiving the gear, they will evaluate it and make sure that you rated it accurately.  The primary thing that people get downgraded for is if a lens is cosmetically like new and you state that it is like new but there are some specs of dust in the optics.  Once they evaluate it they will get back to you and you click on a link to put your routing number and account number for your bank and a few hours later the funds will be sent direct to your account.  It's very straight forward and fast.
That sounds great, E.J..  I believe I described it accurately.  Listed it "Like New".  I only used it a few times so the lens caps weren't off & on a lot and it was very clean, plus I sent it to them in the original box with everything that came with it, even the little lens pouch.  Hopefully they will agree with my rating.  I will post here when I hear back from them - sent it off this morning.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:What will happen is that within a few days of receiving the gear, they will evaluate it and make sure that you rated it accurately.  The primary thing that people get downgraded for is if a lens is cosmetically like new and you state that it is like new but there are some specs of dust in the optics.  Once they evaluate it they will get back to you and you click on a link to put your routing number and account number for your bank and a few hours later the funds will be sent direct to your account.  It's very straight forward and fast.
That sounds great, E.J..  I believe I described it accurately.  Listed it "Like New".  I only used it a few times so the lens caps weren't off & on a lot and it was very clean, plus I sent it to them in the original box with everything that came with it, even the little lens pouch.  Hopefully they will agree with my rating.  I will post here when I hear back from them - sent it off this morning.
I have probably sold 50 items with them or more and only in one case did they downgrade something and that was due to some dust inside the lens.  In every other case I got exactly what they initially offered.

by Arnie Berger on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:24 am
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
I too have sold items to MPB.  They quoted me a value higher than anyone else and paid me right away.  The only thing that I didn't like was to provide them via email my bank account info.  I don't know if they still request it.

Arnie
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by david fletcher on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:20 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Arnie Berger wrote:I too have sold items to MPB.  They quoted me a value higher than anyone else and paid me right away.  The only thing that I didn't like was to provide them via email my bank account info.  I don't know if they still request it.

Arnie
Used them recently and was paid same day as bank details provided via secure log in.   :)
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Arnie Berger on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
David
Thanks I'm glad they now have a secure login to provide your bank info.
Arnie
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by Bill Chambers on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:33 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone! Sounds like MPB is the real thing.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:Thanks everyone!  Sounds like MPB is the real thing.
They've been around in Europe for a long time and have been in the USA for at least 7 years and maybe more.  I've been using them regularly since first opening their USA operations.

by TDeSanto on Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:32 pm
TDeSanto
Forum Contributor
This is a great thread and very timely for me too. Thank you to all for great advice and feedback.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:18 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Well, so far the experience has been great with MPB. I received notification they received my lens yesterday and today I received notification they accepted my appraisal of the condition (Like New) and they asked for my banking information. I sent that to them and they responded saying I would receive payment in 1-3 days. This was super easy and they were very straight forward and easy to deal with. I will be getting quotes on several other lens & bodies soon.

I feel I gave an accurate description of the condition and they agreed. It would have been easy for them to come back and say I over-rated it but they didn't. I have read that is a common problem with some places (I saw several complaints about that with Adorama, plus Adorama quoted me $200 less than MPB.) KEH quoted me $100 less. I didn't request a quote from B&H so I can't compare them.

I was very impressed with MPB. Thank you to E.J. and delong1301 for the recommendation!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You are welcome, I have been happy with them for a number of years now.

by mikeojohnson on Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:49 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Bill Chambers wrote:
I have probably sold 50 items with them or more and only in one case did they downgrade something and that was due to some dust inside the lens.  In every other case I got exactly what they initially offered.

Do you have to have the original packaging and all the stuff included in the box?
Is there a big difference between rating like new and excellent, in your experience?
thanks,
mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Bill Chambers on Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:05 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
mikeojohnson wrote: Do you have to have the original packaging and all the stuff included in the box?
Is there a big difference between rating like new and excellent, in your experience?
thanks,
mike
Hi Mike.  E.J. can answer this better than I since he has had much more experience with them.  As far has I know, original containers are NOT required, but can't hurt.  When you pull up the MPB website they describe the differences in the ratings they use.  I found them to be VERY reasonable and easy to deal with and they also paid more than KEH or Adorama had offered.

Website - MPB Website
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

30 posts |