Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The Digital Picture have their ISO noise comparisons up.  One of my favourite sites for camera and lens reviews.  He has a great writing style that gets the pros and cons and comparisons across to me in an easy to understand and relatable way. The first thing I did was compare the R7 to the 7D MK2.  R7 is an improvement over the 7D MK2 in the highr ISO range.  ISO noise aside, the eye-AF is my main reason to upgrade. 

As much as I enjoyed using the 7D MK2 for the past 8 years, the improvements in the R7 is too strong a pull to stay with a camera that does less. Eye-AF tracking is a game changer, obviously.  Waiting until October just in time for owl season. :-)  Not only that but over at DPR there is some discusison on shutter shock, so let's see what that's all about.  Seems to only affect a few lenses when using the mechanical shutter.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-R7.aspx

by Mike Veltri on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:57 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
The grass always looks greener on the other side of..... Oh well you know the rest.

When I first watched Ruddy Winston talking about the two new cameras on Adorama (r7 & r10), you could tell this was "not" a replacement for the 7D II that most people would be looking forward to. But a newbie camera for  "novice's" as Rudy put it. That's when I turned off the Adorama video. lol

Also the read out of the 90D sensor is very slow. And one thing that's not mentioned much, but how accurate is the auto focus?
Many images taken with the R5 with the focus square on the subject are not tack sharp. Got love the new tech, eh... and a reason I now only use the R5 for static birds, and the R3 when I need accurate focus for fast subjects or to shoot birds in the canopy where  the R5 struggles to find the birds.

Check out the most honest review of the R7 on the internet anywhere.
It's so nice to actually watch a "honest" review of how good and bad the R7 really is. Not a candy coated review like 99% of them are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk8T2OlfS90

Might make you change your mind and keep you eight year old 7D II

Cheers,
Mike Veltri

by signgrap on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:41 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Have you checked this review?
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/6458321 ... -r7-review
Dick Ludwig

by robharrisjr on Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:02 am
robharrisjr
Forum Contributor
R7 looks really good, thanks for the article

Recently tried to "photohunt" using one of the hunting treestands from https://gritrsports.com/ gun store, and oh man, I've got so many nice pictures of elk and deer(specifically had a setup around nearby river, so most of those came to drink during the heat). Can definitely recommend if you're into animal photography!
Prepping for half-marathon right now and participating in a few events by local running shoes store https://rununited.com/

Last edited by robharrisjr on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:25 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike Veltri wrote:The grass always looks greener on the other side of..... Oh well you know the rest.

When I first watched Ruddy Winston talking about the two new cameras on Adorama (r7 & r10), you could tell this was "not" a replacement for the 7D II that most people would be looking forward to. But a newbie camera for  "novice's" as Rudy put it. That's when I turned off the Adorama video. lol

Also the read out of the 90D sensor is very slow. And one thing that's not mentioned much, but how accurate is the auto focus?
Many images taken with the R5 with the focus square on the subject are not tack sharp. Got love the new tech, eh... and a reason I now only use the R5 for static birds, and the R3 when I need accurate focus for fast subjects or to shoot birds in the canopy where  the R5 struggles to find the birds.

Check out the most honest review of the R7 on the internet anywhere.
It's so nice to actually watch a "honest" review of how good and bad the R7 really is. Not a candy coated review like 99% of them are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk8T2OlfS90

Might make you change your mind and keep you eight year old 7D II

Cheers,
Mike Veltri
Mike, thanks for the link.  Honest, straight-forward review or in his opinion, first look at the R7.  The rolling shutter issue I am aware of via DPR user comments but his video showed how bad it can be in certain shooting situations such as handheld.  I shoot mostly handheld.  Based on the DPR comments, I had already made up my mind to use mechanical shutter most of the time.

The worrying part to me is when the AF tracking jumps around, focusiing on the background instead.  I will have to see the video again to see if this is happening in electronic shutter mode only or mechanical as well.  This is concerning.  He used Spot-AF with eye-tracking with the bird walking around grass etc.  Is this something the R5 and R6 does well in, for comparison?  Is this even a recommended AF mode to use (Spot AF with eye-tracking of a subject moving around obstacles like grass)?  He did say that he may go back to traditional Spot-AF and eye-tracking when he really needs it. 

I have heard some comments from the odd R5 owner that says the AF for far away small birds isn't reliable but this person is not a photographer, nore a birder.  So, who knows, user error or expecting too much?  He did say, to wait for the next generation of the R5.  Well, given how the R7 quick AF acquistion ahs been made bu some users, maybe the R5 2 will have the R3 AF system?

Here is a positive for someone coming from a 7D MK2, Duade Paton replied to a comment, Sue, the R7 will be a big jump up from the 7D2, just the AF alone is far better. The buffer is much bigger at 15fps and the noise handling slightly better. Cheers, Duade."  

This is a major reason for me to upgrade to the R7.  Also, better noise than the 7D MK2.  I can live without the electronic shutter at $1,999 CAD given the positives just mentioned.

PS.  The Jan Wegener review and what I read on DPR tells me the R7 is subject to shutter shock in low shutter speeds in mechanical shutter mode.  Since I may be shooting in low light, I will need to switch to electronic shutter mode in very low light.  But I'm usually handholding.  He also mentioned the eye -tracking as not as consistent as the R5, R6. 

Yeah, the R7 has compromises.  Are the compromises worth the 1.6x reach, $1,300 CAD less than the R6 but with much improved AF over the 7D MK2?  For me, maybe.  Probably.  But I have to think about photographing owls (great gray, northern hawk, snowy owl) late day with low shutter speeds handheld where I have to choose between handheld, tripod, mechanical or electronic shutter.  R7 MK2?  I'll have to see. 

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Have you checked this review?
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/6458321 ... -r7-review
The DPR review mentioned that the hit rate in AF tracking mode isn't as good as the R3 because of the slower sensor readout.  He said that because many people mentioned the R7 inherited the same Af as the R3. I didn't find the DPR video review to be indepth.  Very high-level, overall look at R7 only.  I can't really make a decision based on it.

In human subject tracking mode he found the AF would catch something in front of the subject so he got around that with Case 2 (Continue to track subjects, ignore possible obstacles). 

The person in the other review, Duade,was using Spot-AF with eye-tracking and had issues with the AF catching background stuff and then hinted he may just use Spot-AF without the eye-tracking.  In his case, the eye-tracking part didn't stay locked on the eye. There are some unknowns in that review. What if he just used eye-tracking or just used Spot-AF and which of the two caused the AF to catch something in the background instead?  I'm not sure.  I also don'ty have a R7 to see all the different modes (yes, I can download the user manual). Unless he is implying the R6 and R5 doesn't have the same issue but he didn't say so. 

6 posts |