Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fairly comprehensive third party video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBRSLr9Wg

Basically it allows you to make the usual adjustments to a photo on the iPad, then upload it to the cloud and when you get home it auto populates on your computer with the adjustments in place.  It does not include the more advanced tools like layers.  It is a subscription model only, unlike CaptureOne Pro for Mac and PC which is available both in subscription form and perpetual license form.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:07 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
archfotos wrote:I really wonder how many years we are going to have this blissful internet innocence?  Real editing workstations cost a lot of money today, travel, production costs, deadlines put so much demand not to have hiccups. Not to mention that editing stations are most likely connected to multiple drives It just seems like these little bits of convenances are adding a lot of risk to our systems in terms of internet security.  When police departments have to pay ransom, when international gas companies with IT departments need to pay why am I taking any extra risk having data jump between the internet and a costly editing station.

I remember way way back working for a very prominent photographer who had a computer system that was NOT allowed to touch the internet, even though everything was being photographed with film.  

My editing workstation only touches the internet for software updates and so software can make it's occasional call home.  I hate that software needs to call home at all.

While I understand the instant gratification of reviewing and therefore working on your recent project, most likely a tablet.  I also see being cautious as I know we are going to look back to this point in the internet's life and think oh how innocent/naive we were.  Maybe I just spent too much time in the darkroom but I remember when it was bad luck to review negatives while they were still drying even though you really really wanted to.
Sometimes I miss the slide film days too. On photo trips, I'd shoot, and then at the end of the day, put my film in a cooler or fridge, put my feet up and read a good novel. Now, when the days are over, it's downloading the cards, do a fast cull, and then back up the images. However, digital has its advantages.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Do realize the cloud storage from the iPad via Capture One is intended to be temporary.  This works in concert with Capture One Pro on a PC or Mac.  The idea is to be able to work on photos while traveling or in the field or to use as a wireless tether device.  The idea is that as soon as you get home and fire up your computer, your images download to your computer with the changes that you made on the iPad in the field.  It is not intended as long term storage but rather simply a bridge between on location and home or studio.

3 posts |