« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:24 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I was approached about purchasing two prints of my wild horse images at a 4 foot by six foot size. I’ve never printed that large and have doubts about maintaining quality at that size. These are 12mp RAW images shot with a Nikon D700 and quality lenses so, assuming sharp images, would that much enlargement be feasible at a three to four foot viewing distance? Google has vague  answers.TIA for your input.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by signgrap on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
There are lots of variables when doing something like this.  The biggest in my mind is a 3' to 4' viewing distance, which seems very close for a 3' x 4' print.  At this close of a distance people would be seeing the tiniest of details.  If the enlargement starts to show "jaggies" they would be very visible at this close distance.  I would check your file with a custom printer who has experience in enlarging image files to this great of an extent.  Prior to AI enlargement programs you use to need RIP software to make such a large increase in the image size when printing.  I don't know if this still holds true with programs like Topaz AI now on the market.  I suspect it might.  But a good printer who regularly makes huge enlargements should be able to give good advice as to whether the image file is suitable for the size print you want to make.  I would suggest that a more realistic viewing distance would be 6' to 8' for a print this large.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the viewing distance is problematic. The person who wants the print wants it to go above a couch, so the viewing distance may be fairly close. They even suggested a possible 7 foot wide pano, but I’m certain that won’t work. I am going to consult with my printer today. Thanks again.
Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Update: I had my local printer do a test print of a strip of the image at 4' x 6' equivalent size. I'm actually amazed that even at a viewing distance of 18" it looks great. I didn't ask how they processed the image, but I'm impressed to be able to make a print that size from a low mp file. Paper used was Fujifilm Fujicolor Crystal Archive.

Joe

by signgrap on Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:16 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
SantaFeJoe wrote:Update: I had my local printer do a test print of a strip of the image at 4' x 6' equivalent size. I'm actually amazed that even at a viewing distance of 18" it looks great. I didn't ask how they processed the image, but I'm impressed to be able to make a print that size from a low mp file. Paper used was Fujifilm Fujicolor Crystal Archive.

Joe
It is amazing what can be done with good post processing.  I'd be very interested in learning how the printer processed your image. 
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:23 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:Update: I had my local printer do a test print of a strip of the image at 4' x 6' equivalent size. I'm actually amazed that even at a viewing distance of 18" it looks great. I didn't ask how they processed the image, but I'm impressed to be able to make a print that size from a low mp file. Paper used was Fujifilm Fujicolor Crystal Archive.

Joe
It is amazing what can be done with good post processing.  I'd be very interested in learning how the printer processed your image. 
I didn’t ask that. I just told them it was in their hands and gave them the RAW file, since I’m probably the worst at PP. I can look at an image one day and think it is perfectly adjusted and then the next day it is overly saturated or contrast is not right. I have no skill at noise reduction, etc. The test print they made is about 12” x 60”. I would love to see what they can do with a file from a D850. Hopefully I can do one from that camera soon.

Joe

6 posts |