« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
There was a big coyote problem in Vancouver's Stanley Park.  Ongoing coyote attacks on humans, including children.  According to the Vancouver Sun newspaper, there have been 45 instances of people being bitten or nipped in Stanley Park since last December.  It is suspected the problem is caused by people feeding coyotes.  

The park had been closed for a cull on the coyotes but soon as it reopened on Tuesday, conservation officers arrested 2 individuals and seized a vehicle.  No further detail was provided as an investigation is ongoing.  I am sure people are wondering if they were photographers. 

The following is just specualtion on my part but was sort of hinted at by one of the interviewees in a Vancouver Sun article.  Seizing a vehicle is a big thing.  If you were just throwing out scraps of food then they can just fine you.  But if you were there to say, use the vehicle to carry food (whatever that may be) and say, camera or video gear specifically for the purposes of baiting to photograph, is that when they can seize a vehicle?  

Listen, soon as I heard about the problem, I knew it had to be caused by people feeding the coyotes.  I know this from personal experience.  Almost 2 decades ago on a trip around the Cabot Trail, I ran into 4 people along the road. They were feeding a coyote near a trailhead.  

I didn't think much about it at the time but next morning a park warden had closed off the trail.  That was quick. I found out later that it was due to a coyote following hikers and going right up to them.  I saw firsthand what feeding a dangerous animal could result in.  A fed coyote is a dead coyote.  Relocating the coyote was not an option as I heard they can find their way back and also, they are already accustomed to people as a food source.  Once the relocated coyote gets near people again, they will engage in the same learnt behaviour. This applies to any dangerous animal.  

2 arrested for allegedly feeding coyotes

by OntPhoto on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:25 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Some fallout from the coyote issue.  We have this bylaw here but it is never enforced.  Time and resources.  

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]"Park board commissioners in Vancouver are set to approve a new bylaw that would fine people $500 for feeding wildlife in any city park." [/font]

Vancouver Park Board to vote on fines for feeding wildlife

CBC story on people who aew on the lookout for people feeding wildlife

Did you know that under the B.C. Wildlife Act, conservation officers can ticket people caught illegally feeding "dangerous wildlife", such as coyotes, bears and wolves?  Penalties can involve a year in prison or fines worth up to $100,000 for a first offence. 

2 posts |