« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:11 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I just heard on CTV News Channel.  They said the US/Canada land border will reopen in early November 2021.  I greatly miss driving across into the US.  Land crossings from Canada into the US for non-essential travel has been banned since March 2020.  US travel via land into Canada restrictions had been lifted for a couple of months now. 

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
"It was announced this Tuesday that due to the Omicron variant

all air travelers arriving in Canada from all countries except the U.S.A. will have to be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival, regardless of whether they are vaccinated. Travelers will then have to quarantine until they receive a negative test result.

Previously, travelers were required to provide a negative PCR test up to 72-hours before departing for Canada. That requirement will still be in place, in addition to the new testing requirement upon arrival in Canada." - Yahoo News

There are news rumours that it is always possible the above may be revised depending on more available info on the Omicron variant.  From the same news story, "....prepare for a possible extension of the testing and quarantine requirements on air and land travel from the U.S."

CBC News article on new testing for travelers to Canada by air

Excerpt:  "With the omicron variant in circulation, the federal government announced Tuesday it would make all incoming passengers from non-U.S. foreign destinations get another COVID-19 test when they arrive in Canada. This new test is in addition to the pre-departure molecular test that all travellers must undergo before leaving for Canada."

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:49 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Clarification on arrival testing system.  Keep in mind, if you live in a country outside of the USA and Canada but fly into the USA and then fly or drive into Canada from the USA, you will be subject to the testing rules.  You will be considered a traveler from a non-US-destination.

How new arrival system work for foreign travelers from non-US destinations

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:30 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Heads up just in case.  From CBC news:

"Sources say much stronger measures were discussed with premiers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a Tuesday evening call. The proposed measures included whether to implement a ban on all non-essential foreign travellers into Canada, including from the United States, and stricter quarantine and testing measures for travellers who are allowed into Canada, including returning Canadians and permanent residents."

"But no decision was reached. Sources say the goal is to slow down the spread of the virus."  - CBC 

Ottawa to toughen international travel restrictions as Omicron concerns escalate

And on CTV News. More info will be known on Wednesday.

CTV News

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:33 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I'm not sure what good it will do, Omicron is already here and spreading fast.

by bradmangas on Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:23 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
It's becoming clear that if citizens are waiting for the government to reinstate freedoms such as travel to the level of 2019 and before that will not happen at least in the next 3 years. The only option that remains is for citizens to claim their freedoms themselves. A few here and there will make no difference. It will require large scale cooperation of citizens. The only real question now is, are there citizens with the personal convictions to do it.

by OntPhoto on Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:31 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote:It's becoming clear that if citizens are waiting for the government to reinstate freedoms such as travel to the level of 2019 and before that will not happen at least in the next 3 years. The only option that remains is for citizens to claim their freedoms themselves. A few here and there will make no difference. It will require large scale cooperation of citizens. The only real question now is, are there citizens with the personal convictions to do it.
These are my personal thoughts and opinions only.  I'm not sure if this has to do with personal freedom.  It likely has more to do with protecting the vulnerable and the health infrastructure.  Just like there are laws and bylaws doing the same.  Do I have the freedom to drive 150km on a Canadian highway?  It's my vehicle and I paid for it.  My "freedom" ends when I infringe on yours.  There are highway codes and traffic bylaws for a reason. To protect the majority.

Can't I just travel to certain countries without providing proof of vaccinations?  On the WHO website you will read that entry to some countries require that you be vaccinated against diseases such as yellow fever and malaria to prevent the international spread of the disease.  

Before vaccines for Covid19 became available this year, there were strict worldwide travel bans and and lockdowns to help contain the international spread of the virus.  As far as Canada is concerned, we are trying to protect the healthcare infrastructure and the vulnerable (the elderly, the immune compromised, the people who require life threatening surgery, etc.).  My freedom ends when it starts to infringe on the freedom of others.  I am not the only person living in the country.  There are tens of millions of other people.  

Latest Update

We in Canada are being advised this is not a good time to travel internationally.  Further travel restrictions are always possible as the effect and spread of the Omicron variant is being monitored.  Your travel insurance may or may not cover you when a country issues a travel advisory.  The Omicron variant is present in the country and some provinces are speeding up the access to a booster shot. I assume it is to keep ahead of the curve, contain the spread and protect peoples (booster shot) and the health infrastructure (in the past there have been surgeries delayed due to hospitals being overwhelmed with Covid19 patients and healthcare workers being pushed to the limit).  Also to protect businesses so they don't have to lockdown again.  New Covid19 cases in Ontario today is 1,808 one of the highest numbers since the last lockdown.  Quebec our neighbour province has 2,386 new cases today.  

by bradmangas on Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:17 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote: Do I have the freedom to drive 150km on a Canadian highway?  It's my vehicle and I paid for it.  My "freedom" ends when I infringe on yours.  There are highway codes and traffic bylaws for a reason. To protect the majority.

You actually do have the "freedom" to drive 150km if you have a vehicle that will go that fast. The consequences are the determining factor in these things. History shows most people choose to not drive 150km even though they have the freedom to do so. That is a fundamental characteristic of freedom.

A travel ban is not like a speed limit. If it were there would not only be a travel ban but there would be a driving ban as well. That seems like the only apples to apples comparison.

Maybe there should be a world wide speed limit of 5km on all public roads.

The statement that my freedom ends when I infringe on yours, can also be stated that your freedom ends when it infringes on mine. Serious thought needs to be given to such judgments that, may seem clear initially but are not. It is never clear as black and white. Many would never consider self restrictions to the extent they would like to restrict others. This has actually been demonstrated by those who attempt to make such restrictions. 

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:33 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote:
OntPhoto wrote: Do I have the freedom to drive 150km on a Canadian highway?  It's my vehicle and I paid for it.  My "freedom" ends when I infringe on yours.  There are highway codes and traffic bylaws for a reason. To protect the majority.

You actually do have the "freedom" to drive 150km if you have a vehicle that will go that fast. The consequences are the determining factor in these things. History shows most people choose to not drive 150km even though they have the freedom to do so. That is a fundamental characteristic of freedom.

A travel ban is not like a speed limit. If it were there would not only be a travel ban but there would be a driving ban as well. That seems like the only apples to apples comparison.

Maybe there should be a world wide speed limit of 5km on all public roads.

The statement that my freedom ends when I infringe on yours, can also be stated that your freedom ends when it infringes on mine. Serious thought needs to be given to such judgments that, may seem clear initially but are not. It is never clear as black and white. Many would never consider self restrictions to the extent they would like to restrict others. This has actually been demonstrated by those who attempt to make such restrictions. 
To quote Doctor Peter Juni of the Ontario Covid19 Science Advisory Table when asked by a journalist about how people will react to Covid19 measures, "It's about the virus, it's not about you or me. It's just the virus, it doesn't care about you or me."  I think that's it.  :-)

It's only rumoured at this point but in the news people are speculating about possibly even tighter measures with international travel.  We'll just have to see. 

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Jan. 2, 2022. Due to high numbers of daily Covid19 infections, Quebec has already reintroduced a nightly curfew (10pm to 5am for now) and restaurants are take-out only. Ontario is set to announce stronger measures as well, possibly including restricting restaurants to take-out only. At least that is what's been circulating in the local news on Sunday night.

by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
If you have plans to travel to Ottawa or surrounding areas especially on highways, there is curently a trucker protest against vaccine passport and mandatory vaccines.  It is estimated, based on news reports that about 90% of Canadian truckers are already vaccinated. Truckers have indicated taht they may be staying for a longer period than just this weekend.

There are currently 2 Northern Hawk Owls in the Ottawa and Gatineau area.  I may just avoid the Gatineau one for now.  There are a lot more northern hawk owls in the south-western Quebec area.  

Trucker protest in Ottawa this weekend and maybe longer affecting traffic

31 posts |