Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I think my 3880 may be toast. I'm looking at the new Epson printers P700, P900. Not on the market here yet. Has anyone considered one of these? I read the specs but can't quite figure out if I can use external icc profiles. Also wondering if a P600 is a good option- I've read a lot of negative feedback about these, but that's typical of most sites. Still hoping to repair 3880, but not very optimistic.

Thanks for your thoughts...on any sort of option.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by signgrap on Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Cindy, I had an Epson Pro 4800 which gave up the ghost (needed to replace the print head) in late 2015. The cost of repair was almost as much as the printer cost in late 2005. So I got a P800 which has worked well. The P800 has had far fewer nozzle clogs which were a constant issue with the 4800 as it was designed to be used in a production environment i.e. used at least 2-3 times a week. The P800 is a prosumer printer meaning that it is designed for intermittent use so it can withstand sitting idle for a month or more without causing clogging issues. I had a bit more difficulty getting the print to match the monitor at first, but now it is very close. I use a NEC 302 SpectraView which I calibrate regularly. I print using Qimage Ultimate software which I've been using since shortly after getting the 4800. The front end of my workflow is Capture One supplemented by Topaz apps. The P 900 from what I've read should be a very good printer if you have need of a 17" paper width.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 10, 2020 1:27 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hi Cindy
The 3880 is known for a particular black nozzle switch problem. You didn’t mention what the problem was in your case, but here is some info on the problem with the switch:

https://www.digitalblackandwhite.co.uk/ ... black-ink/

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/in ... c=122150.0

If it is that switch, you can sure lose a lot of ink by trying to clean them through the printer settings.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Cynthia Crawford
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hi Cindy
The 3880 is known for a particular black nozzle switch problem. You didn’t mention what the problem was in your case, but here is some info on the problem with the switch:

https://www.digitalblackandwhite.co.uk/ ... black-ink/

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/in ... c=122150.0

If it is that switch, you can sure lose a lot of ink by trying to clean them through the printer settings.

Joe
Thanks for those references Joe. So the nozzle that is clogged is light black-I don't think that is related to the switching problem. I found some "crud" that had gotten into the area of the LK nozzle- will do some cleaning around that area. On the other hand , I haven't tested the switching mechanism-can't do anything till I get some new maintenance carts.  I'm not going to take this thing apart- that's way beyond my technical skills. And I don't think it's worth shipping off for repair...if Epson repair is even functioning these days. I have seen a lot of discussion about the problems with blacks with these printers, but I've gotten a good 10 years out of this thing and I bought it used!
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 10, 2020 5:21 pm
Cynthia Crawford
signgrap wrote:Cindy, I had an Epson Pro 4800 which gave up the ghost (needed to replace the print head) in late 2015.  The cost of repair was almost as much as the printer cost in late 2005.  So I got a P800 which has worked well.  The P800 has had far fewer nozzle clogs which were a constant issue with the 4800 as it was designed to be used in a production environment i.e. used at least 2-3 times a week.  The P800 is a prosumer printer meaning that it is designed for intermittent use so it can withstand sitting idle for a month or more without causing clogging issues.  I had a bit more difficulty getting the print to match the monitor at first, but now it is very close.  I use a NEC 302 SpectraView which I calibrate regularly.  I print using Qimage Ultimate software which I've been using since shortly after getting the 4800.  The front end of my workflow is Capture One supplemented by Topaz apps.  The P 900 from what I've read should be a very good printer if you have need of a 17" paper width.
Thanks, Dick. I'll look into the P800.  Looks like it is discontinued- don't know if refurbished would be OK.

by calvin1calvin on Mon May 11, 2020 9:24 am
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I had an Epson 3880 and had the problem with print head and black nozzle switch a few years ago. I found a place in Houston to repair the print head, however, I was going to have to send a complete ink set with the printer. By the time I priced the repair and ink set that was required it was not that much more expensive to get a new printer. I purchased the 800 from B&H during an Epson sale and it has been very reliable.

by neubigod on Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm
neubigod
Forum Contributor
I’m trying to find the difference in weight between the 900 and 700.  B and H has them at the same weight, 35.3 lbs.  Epson doesn’t list weight.  Anyone know?

by Mark L on Mon May 11, 2020 12:42 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
The Epson web site also lists them as the same weight; 35.3 lbs.
https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P700-13-Inch-Photo-Printer/p/C11CH38201
https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P900-17-Inch-Photo-Printer/p/C11CH37201

by signgrap on Mon May 11, 2020 2:26 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
I find it hard to believe that a 13" wide printer weights the same as a 17" wide printer. The P600 weighs 35 lbs and the P800 weighs 43 lbs. I'd use this 8lb difference as the weight difference between P700 @ 35 lbs and P900 @ 43 lbs and I think you’ll be very close. I think they have misstated the weight of the P900 using the weight of the 700 for both printers.
Dick Ludwig

by Mark L on Mon May 11, 2020 3:02 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
While I agree completely that the two printers can't have identical weights I have no idea what the correct weights are.  My understanding is that the new printers are phyically smaller so they presumably may weigh less?

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed May 20, 2020 4:41 pm
Cynthia Crawford
So... I bought a new P800 (on sale from Epson)...rather impulsively, I am sorry to say. Because- I managed to fix my 3880 with some cleaning (Jon Cone's cleaning kit). But...I don't know if it will remain healthy. I've noticed the cartridges I get for the 3880 aren't totally new- some are rather dated...from early 2019 or 2018. Realizing the P800 is a 5 years old model, I am wondering how long I can get "fresh" ink for it too. I could send it back and wait for the new P900 to come out, hoping meanwhile , that my 3880 will hold up for at least a few more months. Or perhaps the P800 is perfectly adequate for another 5 years. So hard to decide. (I haven't unpacked the P800 yet-just got it yesterday, and still thinking.) Hmmmm. Any thoughts?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 21, 2020 3:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think you will be able to get the ink for many years. BTW, I use LexJet.com for all my printer stuff like Epson inks, waste cartridges, etc... their service is second to none!

by signgrap on Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Cynthia, one of the things that you should do regularly, (3 to 6 months depending onthe amout of inactivity) is to slowly agitate the cartridges. When I say agitate I mean to gently rotate while moving your arm up and down as you rotate the cartridge to mix in any ink pigment that has settled out. One of the things that is not widely understood about the cartridges used in the P series of Epson printers is that once you have installed the cartridge it is possible to remove the cartridge agitate it slowly to not create bubbles and reinsert the cartridge with no ill effect. You should also make sure to slowly agitate each cartridge prior to its initial installation in the printer. The spare cartridges that I have on hand, I will agitate slowly and then set it back on the shelf in the opposite side from which it had been prior to the agitation every 3 to 4 weeks. The goal in doing this is to keep all the ink pigment in suspension. Pigment that has settled out in the cartridge can plug the tubing and the nozzle in the printhead. You want to avoid vigorous shaking or agitation as this will cause tiny bubbles in the ink which will then create problems when printing i.e. create blank spots in your print.
Dick Ludwig

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu May 21, 2020 7:04 pm
Cynthia Crawford
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think you will be able to get the ink for many years.  BTW, I use LexJet.com for all my printer stuff like Epson inks, waste cartridges, etc...  their service is second to none!
Thanks E.J. I'll try them out . I assume you mean I can get ink for the P800....

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu May 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Cynthia Crawford
signgrap wrote:Cynthia, one of the things that you should do regularly, (3 to 6 months depending onthe amout of inactivity) is to slowly agitate the cartridges.  When I say agitate I mean to gently rotate while moving your arm up and down as you rotate the cartridge to mix in any ink pigment that has settled out.  One of the things that is not widely understood about the cartridges used in the P series of Epson printers is that once you have installed the cartridge it is possible to remove the cartridge agitate it slowly to not create bubbles and reinsert the cartridge with no ill effect.  You should also make sure to slowly agitate each cartridge prior to its initial installation in the printer.  The spare cartridges that I have on hand, I will agitate slowly and then set it back on the shelf in the opposite side from which it had been prior to the agitation every 3 to 4 weeks.  The goal in doing this is to keep all the ink pigment in suspension.  Pigment that has settled out in the cartridge can plug the tubing and the nozzle in the printhead.  You want to avoid vigorous shaking or agitation as this will cause tiny bubbles in the ink which will then create problems when printing i.e. create blank spots in your print.
Great advice Dick. I will do that with my older inks. They do advise to shake gently before inserting the ink, but I never thought about bubbles or suspensions.

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm
Cynthia Crawford
I've decided to keep the P800. Some day the P900 will be out there and evaluated, but who knows when and how well it will perform. Especially in these weird times.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am
Cynthia Crawford
Update- set up the P800- ICC profiles loaded into Photoshop CC, working from iMac High Sierra 10.13.6. Used the correct profile, in PS CC and also the print dialogue, (Photoshop manages colors). Prints are horrible- dull  colors, wrong colors, etc. If I let the printer choose the color space with Adobe RGB, colors are quite good. But no control over subtle differences-some are darker than my original. I did not have this problem with my 3880- I could use any ICC profile and adjust accordingly. And I don't want to have to just use the printer colors and only Epson papers.  I don't calibrate my monitor, but I've never had to-I usually just make a test print or 2 and get exactly what I want. I still have my 3880...but it would be costly to return the P800 if that's what I need to do. Very frustrated!!

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think you will be able to get the ink for many years.  BTW, I use LexJet.com for all my printer stuff like Epson inks, waste cartridges, etc...  their service is second to none!
Thanks E.J. I'll try them out . I assume you mean I can get ink for the P800....
Yes

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat May 23, 2020 9:47 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Update- set up the P800- ICC profiles loaded into Photoshop CC, working from iMac High Sierra 10.13.6. Used the correct profile, in PS CC and also the print dialogue, (Photoshop manages colors). Prints are horrible- dull  colors, wrong colors, etc. If I let the printer choose the color space with Adobe RGB, colors are quite good. But no control over subtle differences-some are darker than my original. I did not have this problem with my 3880- I could use any ICC profile and adjust accordingly. And I don't want to have to just use the printer colors and only Epson papers.  I don't calibrate my monitor, but I've never had to-I usually just make a test print or 2 and get exactly what I want. I still have my 3880...but it would be costly to return the P800 if that's what I need to do. Very frustrated!!
Oh, never mind. I just rebooted the computer...isn't that always step one?  Seems OK now...fingers crossed.

by george trebinski on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 am
george trebinski
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Cynthia, one of the things that you should do regularly, (3 to 6 months depending onthe amout of inactivity) is to slowly agitate the cartridges.  When I say agitate I mean to gently rotate while moving your arm up and down as you rotate the cartridge to mix in any ink pigment that has settled out.  One of the things that is not widely understood about the cartridges used in the P series of Epson printers is that once you have installed the cartridge it is possible to remove the cartridge agitate it slowly to not create bubbles and reinsert the cartridge with no ill effect.  You should also make sure to slowly agitate each cartridge prior to its initial installation in the printer.  The spare cartridges that I have on hand, I will agitate slowly and then set it back on the shelf in the opposite side from which it had been prior to the agitation every 3 to 4 weeks.  The goal in doing this is to keep all the ink pigment in suspension.  Pigment that has settled out in the cartridge can plug the tubing and the nozzle in the printhead.  You want to avoid vigorous shaking or agitation as this will cause tiny bubbles in the ink which will then create problems when printing i.e. create blank spots in your print.
Hi.
Wish I'd read this a lot earlier! Just gone through what Cynthia has experienced, but I ended up pulling the plug on P600 (arrives today).
I shall ensure your "shaken but not stirred" routine is followed from now on.
Many thanks.
Ubique.
Retired but still got a Canon.

21 posts |