« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 51 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I know there were people from Ontario and Quebec visiting Amherst island over the holidays. Yes, they pretty much all know about Ontbirds and check it for the latest bird and owl sightings. Apparently, the email from Alex Scott and a local situation has caused quite a stir on this popular Quebec photography forum in the avian group. It has to do with photographing nocturnal owls with their eyes open and the breaking of branches to improve the line of sight for photographs. Comments are in french but you can translate the page by dropping the URL into Google Translalte or just translate one post at a time, however you wish.

http://www.passionphotonature.net/forum ... 267#108267

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Visitors to the owl woods on Amherst Island should read this. Have a look at number 5. I can't believe someone actually did that. Amazing.

January 3/09

"The behaviour I’ve seen this winter in the Owl Woods is nothing short of disgusting. The blatant lack of respect for both the landowners and the birds is unacceptable; with loud voices, crashing through underbrush, broken and even worse, cut, branches. Please, please follow some basic etiquette in the woods:

1. The birds are trying to rest during the day – large groups of loudly talking and laughing people will prevent them from doing so. Please keep people around the owls to around 4 or 5 at a time – if there are already people looking at an owl, stay back and wait until they leave; and if you’re one of the people looking at the owl, please be considerate and don’t stand around under the tree talking – move back to give others a chance.

2. Taking pictures of the owls is not a bad thing in and of itself. I do it myself; but use some common sense. Don’t get too close; under NO circumstances break or bend branches to get a better view – this will usually discourage the owl from ever coming back to that tree, plus the Owl Woods are privately owned, and you’re committing vandalism doing so. Also, the owls are supposed to be sleeping, so please don’t make noises and/or irritate them to get them to open their eyes!

3. Do not crash through the underbrush – there are enough clear paths through the woods that you should never need to go off them. If there aren’t paths in a certain area, please do not take it upon yourself to create them!

4. Keep your voice down. Normal talking is not a problem and should not bother the owls, but what I’ve heard in the woods has not been “normal” talking! Remember what your mother used to tell you – “Indoor Voices!!!”

5. Someone told me yesterday of seeing a person put their hand right up to an owl and touch it, apparently to make it open it’s eyes or something for a picture – this is TOTALLY unacceptable! Never, under any circumstances touch an owl!!!

I know from experience that it’s entirely possible to walk through the woods without sounding like a lumbering bear, and carry on a normal conversation without everyone else in the woods hearing you, and watch and photograph owls all day without disturbing them a bit. Yes, with a good owl year, there’s going to be lots of people visiting the woods, but if we all show some consideration for the owls, the landowners, and each other, there’s no reason why everybody can’t have an enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your cooperation.

K. Scott
".

by Scott Linstead on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:52 pm
Scott Linstead
Forum Contributor
5b) But, if you must touch an owl, please refrain from fondling an owl. :P

by OntPhoto on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:13 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Linstead wrote:5b) But, if you must touch an owl, please refrain from fondling an owl. :P
A clear case of owl fondling.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannynic/2788808951

by OntPhoto on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I'm glad you posted the email from Alex Scott today. I had initially planned to go visit Amherst Island Saturday but wasn't able to. After reading that, glad I didn't go.

Many may not know this but Alex Scott is a former resident of Amherst Island and also former part owner of the owl woods property. He knows the current owners of the owl woods property. I met one of the current owners of the owl woods property over a week ago on a visit there. He seems like a very nice guy.

http://www.virtualbirder.com/bmail/ontb ... st.html#10

There are a number of Great Gray Owls near our city and the above is one reason why their location is not revealed (except for the one that has already been reported). I'm no expert but think Great Grays are more affected by noise such as tromping through snow than say Hawk Owls which have good hearing but rely more on sight to hunt prey. They're likely less affected by having many people around than the Great Grays. The Great Grays can hunt even in the dark due to their exceptional hearing so will be more bothered by people walking around on the snow near them.
Cool. Great Grays are still on the move. A few more are showing up closer to the city now. The same with the Montreal area as more are starting to show up closer to there as well. A local birder told me a couple years ago that in the Ottawa area, end of January has been when they typically make an appearance based on past sightings.

by jnadler on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:51 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Getting back to the topic of the original post, how far out in winter is Amherst Island usually winter home for the owls, beginning or end of February, March?

by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:25 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
An article on what may be killing some of the owls on Amherst Island.

http://www.thepioneer.com/?q=node/3474

Excerpt:
"Along with the sky rocketing number of voles, a rodent like creature that attracted the owls, have come other predators, as well. “Today alone, five owls were found dead. I have yet to see one, but I am guessing they are being hunted by a goshawk or peregrine falcon, just two of the likely predators in the area,” says naturalist Janet Scott. Scott says this is part of the natural food cycle."

"Humans have also been a growing factor in the predators’ column for owls. Scotts says anywhere from 20 to 40 bird watchers can be seen in the Owl Woods every day."

***my note: One particular winter a Goshawk decimated the Long-Eared Owl population in the owl woods on Amherst Island.

by Harold Stiver on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:28 am
Harold Stiver
Forum Contributor
I was at the Owl Woods last Saturday and as we parked our car, an immature Goshawk flew across the road coming out of the woods.
Harold Stiver
Nature Notes

by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Harold Stiver wrote:I was at the Owl Woods last Saturday and as we parked our car, an immature Goshawk flew across the road coming out of the woods.
Interesting. Maybe you can contact Alex Scott and let him know (if you haven't already that is)?

by James Vellozzi on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:54 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Been to Amherst plenty of times and photography is not easy.
If you want Long Ear owls come to Orange County.. I know of plenty of roosts in decidious woodland thickets.. I know where Short Ear owls sit in grass right outside your truck window.. I just cant provide you with Boreal.. at least not yet
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Harold Stiver on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:04 pm
Harold Stiver
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Harold Stiver wrote:I was at the Owl Woods last Saturday and as we parked our car, an immature Goshawk flew across the road coming out of the woods.
Interesting. Maybe you can contact Alex Scott and let him know (if you haven't already that is)?
Yes, I already did.

Cheers
Harold Stiver
Nature Notes

51 posts |