Composition copy

Posted by sanfairyanne on Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
I add here a photograph I took yesterday in Los Glaciers National Park in Argentina. I've been in the park since arriving on Christmas Day. Having gone through the warmth of summer and the beauty of autumn i'm now enjoying the early stages of winter.

The colder weather brings less people to the park. Yesterday as i hiked in I could see from the snow that nobody else had walked the paths that morning. I didn't really think anyone would, it was 5am as I made my way through the forest, my headlight picked up the low cloud and a slight snowfall gave me reason to think this would be yet another wasted effort. I console myself with the knowledge that all the hiking is keeping me fit. 

After about 8km I came out onto a plateau which is particularly boggy. Having nearly broken my ankle two weeks prior I was in quite some discomfort. After about 9km I accidentally rolled my ankle on a fallen log, it was here I started thinking of turning back to my warm cabin. I'm pleased I stuck it out. 

I've scouted this area since 2010 when I first came to the park. Back then I never would have thought of composing an image like this. In this shot we see Cerro Torre (the dramatic peak) as only a relatively small part of the subject. Previously my images would have focussed mainly on the peak, making it perhaps 50% of the image. I've since realised that a nice image often needs more than just a pretty mountain. 

In the spring I spent several days here just looking for new compositions. I found this tree by chance but it appears I'm not alone.  I met other photographers all going to 'comp stomp' the tree. Apparently it's an image made popular by a Dutch photographer called Max Rive. I try not to see what other people photograph because I don't want to be influenced by them but having made the decision to shoot this scene I do think it's nice to give credit to someone who popularised an image.

It's a shame I have to reduce the file so much for NatureScapes because at 240kb the quality is not great.
This was shot using the Panasonic Lumix S1r in stitch mode. The S1r can take amazing 187mp images in camera by moving the sensor very slightly between shots. The resulting image is dramatically improved as not only is it a bigger file, it's also much cleaner with far less noise. To be extra sure I had the shot I focus stacked 4x187mp images and exposure blended another for the brighter parts of the subject such as the light on the mountains.  It's worth pointing out that the camera has to be absolutely still, so in a place like Patagonia where the winds often blow you off your feet this kind of opportunity is rare.

I'm still getting used to the S1r, it can be hard switching from my regular Nikon Z7 to the Panasonic, but I'm very pleased I made the choice to take this camera yesterday. I'll be staying in Los Glaciers National Park into the winter so hopefully I'll get some more images and I may share a few of my older ones from what now amounts to nearly 4 years photographing this area.

If anyone wishes to add their thoughts regarding the composition and/or the processing please let me know with a comment. Incidentally, I should point out that I never ever add what wasn't there. The fog, sky etc always stays otherwise I don't keep the shot. I've only dodged a small part of the bush in the left corner. Other than that it's exactly as I saw it. 

Posted by:
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Mon May 01, 2023 10:47 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
A beautiful scene in beautiful light. My 2 cents regarding composition are not worth the ink, as it's about the authors view that matters.

Shown on the internet, there are differing visuals than perhaps a large, wall mounted print, being my only thoughts. Otherwise, very refreshing view and refreshing thoughts from yourself.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Morkel Erasmus on Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 pm
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
I've seen the Max Rive image before, and though this looks to be from a similar spot it does not dilute from the magnificent scene, colours and light in your shot in any way for me. I am a big fan of "framing things" naturally in nature photography, so I like this as presented. Interesting thoughts from you on gear as well, as I am coming off 4+years of very little shooting or staying abreast of new gear.
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by Axel Hildebrandt on Mon May 01, 2023 4:06 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
What a beautiful landscape, thanks for sharing as well as your thoughts on it.
Axel Hildebrandt

by sanfairyanne on Mon May 01, 2023 7:33 pm
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote: A beautiful scene in beautiful light.  My 2 cents regarding composition are not worth the ink, as it's about the authors view that matters. 

Shown on the internet, there are differing visuals than perhaps a large, wall mounted print, being my only thoughts.  Otherwise, very refreshing view and refreshing thoughts from yourself.

Thanks David,

I always welcome people's '2 cents'. This would look amazing printed, natively it could be printed at around 60". 

by Dan Kearl on Mon May 01, 2023 10:41 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Its hard to critique an image at this size but I think the tree is a bit heavy and the mountains are a bit soft but that is probably due to the compression.
The light is very good, soft, I love the valley and especially the fog.

by sanfairyanne on Tue May 02, 2023 8:36 am
sanfairyanne
Forum Contributor
Dan Kearl wrote: Its hard to critique an image at this size but I think the tree is a bit heavy and the mountains are a bit soft but that is probably due to the compression.
The light is very good, soft, I love the valley and especially the fog.

I guess my problem is that as a free member i'm showing an image that has been reduced to just 240kb. At the time I shot this I was in awe of the weather conditions that morning, the light was amazing. My hands were freezing cold, but I couldn't really feel them, I was in that zone when cold doesn't seem to be a factor. You're just shooting because the conditions are beautiful. I didn't come down from that high for some time. I look back and see I was still photographing well after the golden hour morning light (shots now destined for the bin). I've always admired the mountain Cerro Torre, the climbers here that summit that peak are people I really admire. Oh and it's also possible that the left tree looks a bit heavy, I noticed that several branches have clearly been snapped off (a sure sign that you're copying a well known photographers composition) because there's always someone who can't get their composition correct, so they feel it's easier to break off branches.

by John Labrenz on Tue May 02, 2023 11:07 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Love it.
It is your image albeit perhaps from the same spot... but the light and atmo is as YOU saw it that day....and YOU still had to take the image....so...credit still goes to you.
I also enjoy your narrative.
One minor nit...i find the mtn top a bit hot.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 04, 2023 6:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think it’s an exceptional shot of Cerro Torre and a rather unique shot of this heavily photographed mountain.

by Peter Ireland on Sat May 06, 2023 4:41 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Such a wonderful view and capture.I am also glad you decided to soldier after your mishap. You definitely made the right choice.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue May 09, 2023 6:42 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Fantastic shot and adventure. What impressive extremes we go to, to get something like this...(at least you do. :) Not myself.)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Sat May 13, 2023 10:33 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love the way you manage to include so much in each of your images. Every one is like a peep into another world with so much to enjoy. Let's see some more!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by NUNZG on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:36 am
NUNZG
Forum Contributor
What a scene the mountain glow and the mist in the valley
just amazing shot

13 posts |