« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Axel Hildebrandt on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:36 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
I guess it was only a matter of time:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/apr/17/photographer-admits-prize-winning-image-was-ai-generated?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1 
Axel Hildebrandt

by Swissblad on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:40 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
As you said, it was only a matter of time.....:(

Guardian  functioning link

Petapixel 

by DChan on Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:55 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
“AI images and photography should not compete with each other in an award like this. They are different entities. AI is not photography. Therefore I will not accept the award.”

Another case to show how AI can make things happen:

AI-Generated ‘Drake’ And ‘The Weeknd’ Song Goes Viral, Twitter Users Can’t Get Over How ‘Scary’ It Is

by Danny Young on Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:13 am
Danny Young
Forum Contributor
Member #:021857
Yeah that was a bit of a shocker Axel. Makes you wonder sometimes. Mind you, I could have put a bird or butterfly on her shoulder and they might have gotten away with it ;)

by DChan on Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:41 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
The Guardian's follow-up article on the story:

‘AI isn’t a threat’ – Boris Eldagsen, whose fake photo duped the Sony judges, hits back

“I don’t know why they behaved like this,” he says, speaking to me from Berlin on the morning after the controversy broke. But I have a fair idea: plainly, they feel like they were conned, and had their aesthetic discernment called into question. If you can’t tell the difference between a photograph and an AI-generated image, then you may as well go home. (Boris Eldagsen has said that, prior to being informed of his win, he had not provided any information to the World Photography Organisation that the image was AI-generated; the organisation says that the judges were always aware this was an image created using elements of AI.)
“The threat,” Eldagsen says, “is to democracy and to photojournalism; we have so many fake images, we need to come up with a way to show people what is what.”
There's a note at the end of the article which says:
This article was amended on 19 April 2023 to add the position of the World Photography Organisation that the competition judges were always aware the image in question was created using elements of AI.
By the way, some suggested that to tell if an image is a photograph, look at the hands/fingers.

5 posts |