Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:21 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
This has not been a good winter for seeing northern hawk owl in eastern Ontario and Quebec.  There have been some around but typically one day wonders.  Then in March someone reported one that stayed for about 2 weeks. Problem was it was a very long drive.  Total return trip would ahve been like 2 round trips from Ottawa to Algonquin Park.  It would have been a closer trip than from Ottawa to Sax Zim Bog.  Back in the day I would have made the drive to the Quebec location but with a rental car.  I hate putting taht many kilometers on my relatively new vehicle.  Also, ime and cicumstance did not permit this time.

Can't complain as it was an otherwise great winter with both boreal owl (my best experience ever with this bird and so close to home) and great gray owls.  Some great gray owls are still around in Ontario.

On another note, look at the above map of boreal owl sightings in April for Northern Cochrane, Ontraio.

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:07 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
To close off this "winter" owl thread, I recently photographed a great gray owl in Ontario.  

The handful of people who know the location of this great gray owl are letting it hunt naturally on its own. I watched it fly, hover and float down to the snow more than 10 times in 35 minutes. Didn't see it catch anything. It flew across the road later and was seen mantling prey, facing away from me so I assume it caught something. Photographed in April 2023 somewhere in Ontario. New Canon R6 MK2 and 100-400L IS lens (v.1). Handheld.

22 posts |