« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Kerry on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:02 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway...

Background:  Back in October, the motherboard on my 11 year-old (Windows) desktop computer died, rendering the system useless.  I had been planning to replace it for some time, so it's not a total tragedy.  But for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with the computer itself, I have been unable to replace it.  But circumstances have finally aligned to make it possible for me to order a new (Windows) computer at some point in the next few weeks.

Question:  Is there any way, if I were to obtain an enclosure to house the SSD from the old machine, that I'd be able to salvage the installation of the programs on that drive, or am I definitely looking at fresh installation of everything on the new machine?  I'm almost certain that this is a wishful thinking question, but I thought I'd ask, just in case there's a workaround out there that I'm not aware of.

by Bob Ettinger on Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:19 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
If you saved the original installation file in your downloads directory, they should still be. They might not be the current version and would have problems installing them on a Win11 PC.
Bob Ettinger

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:09 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi.

You will need to reinstall the programs. They pulled info from your old computer, and if it doesn't see that same info (motherboard, graphics card, OS, etc.) on the new computer, the software won't work.

Sorry,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fresh installation is the only way to do this and have everything working properly.

by Kerry on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:02 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks, everyone.

5 posts |